Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Woot! Santa is coming!

Merry Christmas!

Missing Australian Universal Horror Posters

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

There were FIve  Mummy films produced by Universal between 1932 and 1944. The titles were as follows.

The Mummy ( 1932 )

The Mummy's Hand ( 1940 )

The Mummy's Tomb ( 1942 ) daybill located

The Mummy's Ghost ( 1944 ) daybill and Australian one sheet located

The Mummy's Curse ( 1944 )

Australian daybill of The Mummy's Tomb and daybill and Australian one sheet of The Mummy's Ghost, as pictured at start of this thread, is all the Australian paper I could locate. U. S. poster artwork and Australian advertising from the original Australian release of the three remaining titles is the only indication of what any Australian paper may possibly look like. I just love the '' Frankenstein was a sissy compared with The Mummy's Hand'' quote appearing on the newspaper advertisement of The Mummy's Hand.

Something I have noticed is that The Mummy's Tomb daybill artwork is different from any U.S. poster artwork, including the U.S. insert where the Mummy is seen carrying the woman in his arms. The daybill artwork has separated the Mummy from holding the woman who is now shown lying on the ground and has the Mummy appearing in a threatening pose. What has now become abundantly clear  with the W.E.Smith poster artists is that they liked to use artwork on some of their horror titles  copied from earlier posters, eg The House Of Frankenstein ( 1944 ) discussed on the forum previously within the ''House Of Frankenstein Daybill Major Problems ... Plus Others'' thread. Note that The Mummy's Ghost produced two years after The Mummy's Tomb used the same Mummy image and also the same passed out woman image from The Mummy's Tomb.

Any other Australian poster images from any of the five titles would be most appreciated if one has any and would care to share. 

Post edited by David on
Lawrence

Comments