Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

There Are Australian Daybill & One Sheets Existing For These Films.

1235»

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,262 admin
    There are no restrictions on starting new threads for anyone including Lawrence.  But if you threaten I am not going to tuck tail and rush to apologize to anyone.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

This title Alias French Gertie ( 1930 ) had an Australian one sheet sold on the 7th of November 1998 at a Pickles Auction in Sydney. I cannot say for sure that the above U.S.A. one sheet would have been the same design as the Australian one auctioned, but my memory from the Auction was that all the Auctioned posters that were mainly from 1930 & 1931 were all great looking posters. So if the poster sold wasn't the same design, it would nevertheless have been a  fabulous looking poster anyway. For those members unaware of the Auction or wish to be refreshed, details and some spectacular images can be found starting at the beginning of this thread and working your way through.

Lawrence
    David said:
    Wouldn't you just love to see the art on some all of these?!
    David had posted this comment in July 2015. I clearly remember, even to this day, some of the beautiful artwork, and what remains clear to me from my viewing then, is that the individual 58 poster titles that I viewed up close had mainly bright  colours and excellent artwork on the vast majority of the 1927 / 1932 one sheet posters.   
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Recently picked up a couple of catalogues for auctions which included several early posters...I can't recall off the top of my head if they were Aussie or US.
    Thanks  for the bump...will check them out tonight to see if any of these are in there!

An original U.S.A. one sheet Of Rio Rita ( 1929 ), and the only o.s. style I could locate of this rare title.  An Australian one sheet was sold in the 1998 Sydney Pickles Auction. A good chance this could have a been the Australian one sheet style, or at least something similar, that they used when released here in 1930. 
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Dad And Dave Come To Town ( 1938 ). The common colourful 1950's or 1960's re-release  daybill and a poor black and white copy of the original long daybill. Anyone have an image of the original in it's full glory?
    Lawrence

Images for Noose For A Gunman and The Cat Burglar that were both  listed earlier on the thread as being missing. There may or may not be a more colourful version of The Cat Burglar.

This image has just turned up on one of Bruce's current auctions. Another  title accounted for.

Lawrence
    edited September 4

Wil's image of The One That Got Away now accounts for another title located from my earlier missing lists.

Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Didn't realise it was a rare one Lawrence. I suppose I've seen so many UK posters for this around, I assumed Aussie materiel must be equally plentiful. The Aussie one sheet (which replicates the UK one) is also rather nice. 

I loved the film, always better when based on an actual event. It should look great beside Carve Her Name With Pride, both telling remarkable stories and both with the 'heroes' pride of place on the poster with little or no background clutter.
    Wil
    Didn't realise it was a rare one Lawrence. I suppose I've seen so many UK posters for this around, I assumed Aussie materiel must be equally plentiful. The Aussie one sheet (which replicates the UK one) is also rather nice. 

I loved the film, always better when based on an actual event. It should look great beside Carve Her Name With Pride, both telling remarkable stories and both with the 'heroes' pride of place on the poster with little or no background clutter.
    Yes Wil it is rare. i am aware of one additional copy only existing. There are possibly other copies existing though. The Australian one sheet is also rare and I have never sighted one, so if you don't mind an image would be great. Agree with your comments on the two posters artwork style. Both films make great viewing.

Lawrence
    edited September 5
    If the other daybill is the one that sold on HA last year, I'm assuming this is it as the seller also offered the two in the HA lot that came with it (The Prisoner & Eichmann).
    Wil
    edited September 5
    If the other daybill is the one that sold on HA last year, I'm assuming this is it as the seller also offered the two in the HA lot that came with it (The Prisoner & Eichmann).
    I missed that HA auction for some reason. The daybill that I was referring to was sold from Melbourne in the late 1990's. Thanks for the Australian one sheet image Wil.
    Lawrence

The original British 3 sheet of The One That Got Away, from which the same artwork design was copied for the Australian daybill.

The original U.K. one sheet and the almost identical Australian one sheet. The Australian poster artist forgot to attach a BEF logo alongside the Rank logo as it appears on the daybill. This was standard practice to do this on all BEF posters printed for release here in Australia.
    Lawrence
    edited September 8

Stand By For Action  ( 1942 ) original U.S.A. one sheet and an Australian one sheet with the same design.

An original U.S. insert poster. There was a daybill of this title sold in 2000, but an image is unavailable. Does anyone have this daybill image by any chance?
    Lawrence