Skip to content

What do you expect when you send your poster off for restoration?

2»

Comments

• Charlie said:
    I could rant...  
    please do Charlie. .it will have mine... I really would like to know how on earth when i send a poster for conservation and restoration in the UK and I get it back with the same mould stains . They look faded but still there for all to see (conservation ? Or wtf)
  • Mirosae said:
    Charlie said:
    I could rant...  
    please do Charlie. .it will have mine... I really would like to know how on earth when i send a poster for conservation and restoration in the UK and I get it back with the same mould stains . They look faded but still there for all to see (conservation ? Or wtf)

Damn, I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me.
  • edited March 2017
    Bump!

I want a restorer that takes me on the journey and involves me in the decision on what should be done to the poster and when i am ummming and arring make a call for me. 

Been a while since i have had a poster restored but have something in the pipeline..and for the wall  :)
  • Well, I am a woman with simple needs. When I send it to a restorer I just want my poster back at some point before I die!

=) 

;) 

ps. Based on a true horror story
  • Mirosae said:
    Well, I am a woman with simple needs. When I send it to a restorer I just want my poster back at some point before I die!

=) 

;) 

ps. Based on a true horror story
    Good god....has not happened to me ...touch wood... you got it back in the end?
  • racer59 said:
    Looking at these linen backed posters that are up for auction recently and I'm noticing that a good deal of them are not very good jobs. I see a bunch have some pretty bad stains that would have been improved even with a half assed wash. I'm assuming that these are not professional jobs. I may be wrong. Is it common for a poster to just be backed with out being, at the very least deacidified?

There is a school that believes that the purpose of backing is to stabilize a deteriorating poster, and that it should be backed without doing extensive paper fills or repair of color.

I'm not in that school completely, but can sympathize.  I would rather have a poster that proudly wears its battle scars to one that has been dipped in paint to make it something it isn't (and never was)  OTOH, I see nothing wrong with stabilizing and doing a basic cleaning.
  • Mark said:
    Do any restorers test the acidity before or after?
    I think this is easy to accomplish.  If you test the PH of the solution before putting the poster in and after if the PH is lower then by dynamic equilibrium and the Le Chatelier's Principle acids were reacted out...

This general principle, that any change imposed on a system at equilibrium will cause the equilibrium to shift in the direction that counteracts the change, is called “Le Chatelier’s Principle” and it applies to all systems in dynamic equilibrium.
  • For my next linen backing job its likely the poster will go straight to linen without a wash and then a  solution will be sprayed on the poster to deacidfy. 
    Keen to hear peoples thoughts...should a wash be mandatory  (not talking about bleach at all) before linen backing? Or less is best?
  • I have a great story, but I will leave out the name of the restorer, to protect the guilty.

I sent the poster to that person, and it was supposed to be ready in a month.

A month goes by and nothing. I call up and I am told how busy they are, etc.

I wait another month, and I get a "progress report" describing the mounting, and that is in a stretcher, awaiting its turn for in-painting.

I will spare you many details, but I call every couple of weeks, and each time I learn of what has been done since the last time, but there was always some complication that delayed things (power went off, employee quit, etc).

Finally, after a total of 6 months, I say, send the poster WHATEVER state it is in. If it is on a stretcher, I will pay for a crate.

A week goes by and nothing. I call up and say overnight it or I am calling the police and the District Attorney in their city, and pressing charges.

The next day it arrives, and as you may have guessed, nothing whatsoever had been done to it!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited March 2017
    Sven said:
    For my next linen backing job its likely the poster will go straight to linen without a wash and then a  solution will be sprayed on the poster to deacidfy. 
    Keen to hear peoples thoughts...should a wash be mandatory  (not talking about bleach at all) before linen backing? Or less is best?
    Sven. I speak only from what Ive read to perform, discussions with others or seen. Ive not read or seen where any restorer has pasted a poster straight to the Masa/canvas.

The only one Ive seen do this is Chris C at posterfix. The paper should relax in a bath so it can be better laid on the Masa/canvas.

My baths are to provide deacidification and allow the poster to release acids, clean dirt, relax folds, water stains... If the poster has any age/dirt/stains/wrinkles by not washing it, these remain part of the poster. 

What year? Type of poster is it

Ive read where Dario uses the deacidification spray, but have never read where he's never provided a bath. 
  • Hey Mark its a 1950s one sheet. Yes Dario would always wash before mounting. Thanks for your detail in the response!

• Sven said:
    For my next linen backing job its likely the poster will go straight to linen without a wash and then a  solution will be sprayed on the poster to deacidfy. 
    Without a bath the reactants can't be washed out.  However they do this all the time for books that aren't worth being unbounded and cleaned up.  It's called book keepers. I suppose it would be fine but just a shortcut IMO...
  • Oops that is exactly what the link says - I swear I didn't cheat!
  • Cheers charlie 
  • Can we add a poll option for "I expect to receive a tube that isn't empty"?  :|