Skip to content

Work in progress...

Comments

• David said:
    Matt said:
    CSM said:
    It's just so beautiful I might start crying like I witnessed a double rainbow

You are such a sweetie pie...I love you Chris. xxxooooxxx
    You guys need a room
    Your old place still vacant?
  • edited September 2016
    OK guys, I need your opinion.  I've had this poster on stretchers forever now.  I had to make patches for some poor areas and without masking everything and drenching the white in paint I can't get it perfect.  Here is a shot from about 6 feet away.  Good to go?

Untitled
  • Probably look good framed behind non reflective glass as is.
  • Can't see anything bad in it
  • edited September 2016
    The more i work on posters-and I havent even attempted many skills & techniques---I say don't mask and drench in white paint.

Some poster reach you in conditions that require too much restoration where you don't look at it the same, even when framed. 

Go with your gut...leave as is...it looks great! It's Eastwood after all!
  • Here is the before picture:

• Good to go.  Less is definitely better.  Looks way better than the before.   Great job.
  • In the before picture, is that a line of yellow glue/tape stain residue?

It looked haggard before, clean after!
  • Not sure what it was. Most of it lightened during bleaching.
  • Charlie said:
    Here is the before picture:

Where?

You don't have permission to access /images/moviestars/AA120614/550/australian_1sh_dirty_harry_JC04218_L.jpg on this server.
  • edited October 2016
    Denied!  I don't know it shows up on mine.  Have you been blocked from emp?
  • Charlie said:

I can see it too.
  • oh great...it's me?
  • Matt said:
    Charlie said:

I can see it too.

I can see it also.
  • I see dead people....
  • Guess I'll cut him down... Why?  Cause I feel lucky.
  • So, Sven's comment inspired me last night to get moving on an experiment that I've been wanting to do.  I have a theory that I can back a poster directly to my table top using a Chinese silk backing method.  Essentially the idea was to paste mulberry paper to holytex and keep it from curling by over running the edges of the holytex and pasting the mulberry down to the tabletop.  

You can see here how the mulberry overruns the holytex (see the edge)...  The idea is that the adhesive will keep the paper flat while the card dries.

Untitled

Untitled

Father's Little Dividend (1951)

Still wet and drying...

Untitled

Here is the before.  Notice the stain through the center of the card.

Untitled
  • So the goal is to perform deacidification & bleaching to a lobby-allow it to dry on top of Hollytex, which is glued to Mulberry, which is glued to the tabletop. 

-you'd then remove the hollytex from the back of the lobby (very carefully so as to not bend the card)----and you then have a dried, straight restored lobby with a minimal amt of wheat starch on the backside?

Is this what you've done? So,...no backing to a lobby or even half sheet, or insert because the card has dried flat while adhered to the table? 

If so, sounds like fun!
  • Actually that is a great idea and I will have to try that next but not what I was doing here.  I've tried to back posters on my table top before which has a melamine surface and the holytex would eventually curl up.  On plywood I would leave lots of holytex and even though it would start to curl around the edges, it would stay where it counted.  My thinking was that the holytex just doesn't stick - like it is suppose to.  So by sticking the excess paper down around it, it would prevent the holytex from coming up...  But your idea sounds more exciting!  Basically starch backing.
  • Oh I  see what you're doing, you're just using the mulberry paper as an extra base to avoid the Hollytext from curling up. I have some spare lobby cards, so maybe I'll try the starch backing, but use masa paper as my base then Holly text then the card. 

I'm guessing it's similar to the gel backing that poster mountain does but with wheat paste. 
  • Well it's about 90% dry tonight and everything is going according to plan.  Had the wife already touch up two little spots.  Big reveal on Sunday I'll record video when I pull it up.
  • Look forward to seeing that Charlie !
  • Sven said:
    Look forward to seeing that Charlie !
    Agreed! The stain down the middle of the card disappeared!
  •  :| 
  • I am in Carmine and only on mobile.  When I go to load pictures it is giving me a bit of trouble.  I'll see if I can get my dad's computer working to upload the pics and video.
  • OK here you go...  All came out just as planned!

• Very cool! So the lobby is now backed/supported by Mulberry paper?

Is this the first Mulberry paper backed lobby you've done? 

Was it harder to remove from the table as opposed to the board you used to use?

• Yes suppported by mulberry.  Not the only one I backed two Roman Holiday still using mulberry but on boards. 

At at first I thought it was going to pull right off but it was just as difficult as a board... The paper definetly adhered to the table top as did the holytex.