Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

US or International Ratings and Daybills - Australian rating or NZ rating Preferred

SvenSven Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
edited March 2017 in Everything Else!

Hi, I am wondering peoples opinions on the same poster except one has

1) US ratings and the other is International ratings

2) Australian rating and the other has a NZ stamp.

Do US collectors place a higher value on a US ratings version? Have you held out on buying a poster because it had an International ratings stamp in the hope to obtain a US ratings version?

Do Australian collectors place a higher value on an Australian ratings version? Have you held out on buying a daybill because it had a NZ ratings stamp in the hope to obtain an Australian ratings version?

Do New Zealand collectors place a higher value on an NZ ratings version ? Have you held out on buying a daybill because it had an Australian ratings stamp in the hope to obtain a NZ ratings version?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

I once did hold out on a Daybill because it did not have an Australian rating stamp, but I don't think it would be a hard and fast rule for me. Depends how bad I want it and how rare it is.

Comments

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,894 admin
    NZ ratings never bothered me. Still the same poster except when parts of the poster are blacked out. eg Goldfinger.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 814 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    On U.S. posters, the non-ratings "international" style is usually more rare than the ratings style (surely because they printed fewer of them).

But my experience is that most collectors pay less for the "international" style IF it is otherwise identical to the ratings style, but pay more IF it has a completely different image.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
           What appears seldom spoken about is Australian posters not only missing an Australian censorship rating, but in many cases the Australian distributor's credits as well. Does this bother anyone and would you only buy the Australian release version over the version destined for New Zealand or wouldn't it matter which one ?
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,161 admin
    Doesn't bother me, rare is rare and sometimes beggars can't be choosers.
    David
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    It doesn't really bother me overall. 

One observation I have made is that on certain NZ titles (i.e. Forbidden Planet) some of the printed colours are more muted/less saturated vs. the Aussie version with the rating present.  I don't know if that might have something to do with the print run to omit whatever colour the ratings triangle/circle/box was on the Aussie version...

Sometimes the stamped NZ posters can be distracting depending on where the rating stamp was placed but otherwise not too much of a concern.   
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited March 2017
    It doesn't really bother me overall. 

One observation I have made is that on certain NZ titles (i.e. Forbidden Planet) some of the printed colours are more muted/less saturated vs. the Aussie version with the rating present.    
    Apparently you have both a NZ FP and and Aussie one to be able to make side by side comparisons with (being the 5 star Elite collector you Canadians are)...I've just got a NZ so can't compare.

I can't really tell the difference (this off Bruce's site - neither are mine)

David
    Call your optometrist tout suite...even in Bruce's photos you can see that the Aussie is darker, more saturated - especially in Robby's legs.  Also the reds are deeper and less 'pink'.  Yellow is enhanced on the NZ version. 
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

The NZ is on linen - ergo has been washed - perhaps some toning has been bleached out?
    David
    David said:
    The NZ is on linen - ergo has been washed - perhaps some toning has been bleached out?
    I have a NZ version (just like you).  I've done my comparisons and you'll just have to trust me on this one.  Originally I had thought possibly faded but since ALL the NZ versions I have seen are colour-muted in the same way it can only be due to the printing process
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,796 admin
    Missing "distributors credits"? Sheesh...I'm still looking for a date on one of those things!... =)
    David said:
    I have a NZ version (just like you).  I've done my comparisons and you'll just have to trust me on this one.  Originally I had thought possibly faded but since ALL the NZ versions I have seen are colour-muted in the same way it can only be due to the printing process
    I guess I will. 

Because one can see the Aussie rating on a NZ one it is probable the Aussie rating was simply taped over which means it is likely the NZ ones were at the end of the run, perhaps they weren't so careful replenishing the ink, who know.

If one got the Aussie rating added back in would it be then considered and Aussie one? 

Then again, why would you bother, they both sell within cooee of each other.
    David