Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

•  Thanks for the detailed response, Bruce. It all makes sense,  from a financial/time effectiveness standpoint. 

And I couldn't agree more with the, "one description fits-all phrases" which substitute time spent to tell your customer what their getting...especially if there may be surprises to be found on the backside!  :o
  •  ...especially if there may be surprises to be found on the backside!  :o

Yep, had one of those (not from Bruce), described as 'tape on verso', what they meant was the verso was tape! Was a terrible poster with a description that didn't match (still got the poster years later, ever looking for a replacement)
  • A big part of this kind of thing is whether the seller or auction is looking for a one time customer or a repeat one. With a one time customer, it makes lots of sense to misdescribe items (and "overlook" defects) if it results in a higher selling price.

Of course, then that buyer is WAY less likely to buy from that seller (or auctioneer) again, and if they do they usually assume the worst and bid less.

So if you want lots of repeat customers, then honesty IS the best policy, even though it might depress the selling price of a single item.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• I think what it ultimately boils down to is the ratings system itself, and that there is no 'standard' system that the hobby can adhere to.

Unlike coins, stamps etc
  • A grading system is only as good as the honesty of the grader. It is an "open secret" in comics, coins, baseball cards, etc, that the top auction houses owe part of the grading companies, and can have any item re-graded higher than the grade you or I would receive.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• edited November 2016
    Yes, I am aware of the vagaries of humans doing the ratings however I was more referring to the variations in this hobby as to the multitude of grade types that people/businesses use.

6-Grade System
    9-Grade System
    10-Grade System
    Auction House System
    Jon Warren System
    10 point scale System
    CGC System
    Australia's Superior System for Poster Grading

Are there others?
  • Hi Bruce,

I was wondering whether you're seeing a change in the age of items you're being sent? Are you seeing more 90s and less 50s, for example?
  • edited December 2016
    If you are asking, "Are you being consigned more newer material than older material?", the answer is yes. Every week or two some theater owner from the past 30 years who saved their posters gives me a call, wanting to "cash in" on what they have. Often they are surprised to learn that many of those posters have little value, especially if they were theater used and have pinholes, tape, or other defects.

On older (1950s and earlier) posters, there are fewer and fewer "new examples" being discovered, as there are fewer such theaters to be discovered. Most of what is being sold is coming from old-time collectors who have passed away or stopped collecting.

If you are asking, "Are you seeing more interest in newer material than older material?", the answer to that is also yes. Even though the newer (1980s to present) material sells for far less than older material, there are a lot more collectors for it.

What I am seeing with both older and newer material is that many collectors are more and more focused on the rare and the rarely seen, and only otherwise look for only the very most popular of the more commonly seen titles. And I see a lot more collectors paying attention to condition much more than in days of old. So if you have a rare style of a poster for a popular title that's in great condition, then you have likely hit the jackpot!

If I have not answered your queston, please explain it in different words! Thanks.

• The 30 year rule is a good one and comes into play too?
  • What weight is your packing paper Bruce (or if anyone else knows), I need to get some more - the stuff I used was fine but I'd like to move it up a weight class or two - I thought yours might be around 225gsm?

• I am not sure offhand. I can find out Monday, if someone doesn't answer first. EVERYONE here has had a bunch of my packing paper for sure!

• Thank-you Bruce
  • edited January 2017
    Bruce said:
    I am not sure offhand. I can find out Monday, if someone doesn't answer first. EVERYONE here has had a bunch of my packing paper for sure!
    I buy posters on emp if I'm  short  on quality packaging  =)
  • edited February 2017
    Hello Bruce, 

i know you've kind of covered this before, but do you ever see yourself posting the backside of your folded one sheet auctions?

Maybe those with significant issues?

At least on your one sheets during the Major Auctions? On the higher priced ones which are unbacked?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Hello Bruce, 

i know you've kind of covered this before, but do you ever see yourself posting the backside of your folded one sheet auctions?

Maybe those with significant issues?

At least on your one sheets during the Major Auctions? On the higher priced ones which are unbacked?

Thanks,
    Mark
    This would take a ton of extra work that we don't have right now. Before I would do that, I would add the backs of window cards, then inserts and half-sheets, and finally one-sheet size posters.

The biggest problem is that everything we do has to follow a "template", which is the only way to get 3,000 items done a week (trust me on this!). So it is not like we could easily show the back of just the lesser condition ones. It would only make sense if we did all of them.

We have our major auction coming up and lots else going on, so this isn't something I can work on right now, but believe me, it never leaves my mind.

We already are the only auction that shows the back of all single lobby cards and stills. I would love to be the only one that shows the backs of everything!

• Hi.Bruce, i see a new feature introduced to the eMoviePoster.com website. To view prices realised now requires a log in or registration. May i ask the drivers for the change? Thanks!!
  • This is the first of many coming changes.

What does "May i ask the drivers for the change?" mean. I may be dense, but I don't understand.

• Basically why did you make the change or any reason for the change?
  • Thats right Charlie. Sorry bruce i could have avoided using drivers in my sentence!! 
  • I see. I am working towards having two "Auction History" databases. One completely free, and the other (with many added features) that has a small monthly fee. This is the first small step towards that.

I have told everyone for years that they should make the most of this database while it is completely free (and ad-free). This is especially true right now.

• Bruce said:

I see. I am working towards having two "Auction History" databases. One completely free, and the other (with many added features) that has a small monthly fee. This is the first small step towards that.

I have told everyone for years that they should make the most of this database while it is completely free (and ad-free). This is especially true right now.

Thanks Bruce
  • All I figure is that now I will logged in all the time and buying more...  Good strategy sir!
  • Already worked.  I was logged in and bought a poster.
  • You should drive up from Texas to pick up your poster and take "the tour"!

• One day... One day, I will make the trip to movie poster Mecca.
  • I'm driving to Denver in June.  Not that far out of the way.

But I will be in a Miata.  No room for posters.  Hmmm, maybe not a bad thing :)
  • Jay, lobby cards take up very little room. You could probably fit 10,000 in a Miata.

Charlie, I will throw in a free lunch!

• Bruce said:

And the rest of us?...saltine crackers?!!!       ;)

• Bruce said:

And the rest of us?...saltine crackers?!!!       ;)

=)