Skip to content

1930's Noir (Daybills Vs. The World)

edited April 2017 in Trivia and Games

Charlie Chan In Egypt ( 1935 ) Australian daybill.

My first contribution to this thread. Charlie's idea so he can fill us in on what he decides he wants to do. See previous discussion in The Horror Quiz thread to learn more.

Comments

• Well I was thinking that we would pick a topic so this one would be 1930's Noir...  Australia starts this thread with the above film (I'll edit the title)...

The rotation can be ad hoc for now.  Lawrence went first, I'll (US) do the next one, and then we'll see if we get into a rotation.

In response, an American member (me) would post.  So here is a US lobby card - couldn't find the OS. (note read Lawrence's missing daybill threads for the next post)  Other members follow suit - not sure we have to stick to posters from your home country.  After we've had enough we can award a point and move to the next film.  We will have to feel this out - maybe one new film each day or every other day depending on traction.  

I'd say the daybill beats the Lobby.  I wonder what the US OS looks like?  I couldn't find a pressbook either.
  • Yes the daybill is lovely!
  • Here are some more I found:

• OK, I'll go.  Mathias might have us all beat with this one.  Scarface (1932) (image from HA)

• No daybill or any other Australian posters located but I like the above card. 

• Is this one of the missing daybills?

• Charlie said:

OK, I'll go.  Mathias might have us all beat with this one.  Scarface (1932) (image from HA)

Not the best job by Venturi, but nice nonetheless

• Now that! ...is a winner!
  • Well, I think the Argentinian won so he should go next...

• Charlie said:

Is this one of the missing daybills?

Missed this earlier question on Scarface, Yes this is a missing daybill poster.

• Charlie said:

Well, I think the Argentinian won so he should go next...

Let me see what I can find

• Here we go. Beat this!
    FAST AND FURIOUS (1939)

• Here is the Insert:

• That be a daybill
  • I had originally thought that Sven's suggestion of ''1930's crime'' would be a good idea, then I realised that not too many Australian long daybills for this genre, that were released in the 1930's, appear to have surfaced over the years. On doing a check within my daybill image folders I have still managed to locate at least seven very nice images. If any one else posts an overseas poster image, without an accompanying daybill image, there is no guarantee I will be able to come up with a daybill image though. Once we get into the 1940's and particularly 1950's onwards, in all genres, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am very happy to display more daybill images of 1930's crime films, so Charlie seeing this format was your original idea, let me know, if and when it is my turn again?

• That be a daybill

It is!!!
  • Lawrence's turn (per above) - Go for it!
  • Bulldog Drummond's Peril ( 1938 ) ( image courtesy of John ), I Stole A Million ( 1939 ) and Mr. Wong In Chinatown ( 1939 ) long daybills.

Great Richardson, Marchant and W.E. Smith artwork, which will be hard to top. 

• Fantastic posters hondo, that will be a challenge to beat!  You've basically given the orders for a heavy attack  =)
  • Nice!!!
  • Fark me that Scarface is gorgeous!  I've not seen that before.
  • It' from a series of rereleases that "Guaranted Pictures COrp" did in the 40s
    Some of Venturi's best work is from this era

• 110x75 said:

It' from a series of rereleases that "Guaranted Pictures COrp" did in the 40s
    Some of Venturi's best work is from this era

Thought it would be from the 1940's due to the gun image depicted on the poster. Very nice poster to have.
  • edited April 2017

The U.S. one sheet that was posted is also a re-release, from 1937.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

•  It appears very little original first release paper has surfaced to date for Scarface. The majority of posters sighted are from various re-releases that took place over the years. 
  • That's because United Artists only handled the very first release on their movies, and then turning the films over to other companies to redistribute.

Their first release paper from the 1920s and 1930s is far more rare than that from other studios.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• ^^^ thanks Bruce, great information!!

Always good to learn about the printing policies of the old Holl studios. I have tried to get as much info as possible about thr art directors etc during that period but it is all a bit vague and confusing.

• I've fallen down on the job.  Been traveling.  I'll see what I can do next week when I get back for a stretch.