Skip to content

Missing 1950's and 1960's Horror & Sci-FI daybill images.

Comments

• Thank you Sven for the rare image of Birth Of A Monster ( aka Quatermass 11 / Enemy From Space ). Much better artwork than I had expected although you had mentioned it was printed by W.E Smith

• You are welcome lawrence. Monster that challenge the world also released in 1957 and printed by we smith has similar blues and orange tones. I wonder if there is an explanation or just sheer coincidence. 
  • Sheer coincidence I feel Sven. These colour combinations were only two examples of many used of this colour combination on W.E.Smith printed daybills of United Artists titles from the 1950s. There were lots of other examples using these blues & orange colours which included  black as well as white on the posters which included The Long Wait, The Fake, The Maze & Torpedo Alley among many others.

• Pancho said:
    Didn't we have the Hands Of Orlac? I do have it, so let me know if the image isn't here.
    Whenever you get a chance would love to see it.
  •                                                                             
    Sven said:

Sven had kindly provided this image in June 2016 of Birth Of A Monster, but it has since been removed.  I had kept a copy for my files so I have reintroduced it back onto the thread.                                        

• HONDO said:

Carnival Of Souls ( 1962) Australian daybill still hasn't surfaced but here is a 13'' x 15'' New Zealand poster from the films release there..
    I'd buy this.
  • edited February 2017
    HONDO said:
    Pancho said:
    Didn't we have the Hands Of Orlac? I do have it, so let me know if the image isn't here.

I can't remember seeing it and it's definitely not on this thread anyway. It would be great if you would download the image.

I saw The Hands Of Orlac daybill image recently on Google but couldn't download it and now its gone altogether. Do you have the image Pancho you could let us see?
  •  ''X'' The Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( 1963 ) previously listed as a missing daybill and possibly released in Australia by Roadshow. A complete mystery as the only release date I can locate is in 1972 and I am still thinking possibly as a Roadshow re-release along with other AIP first release and re-release horror titles Roadshow obtained, many of which had been previously banned in Australia. The above 8 x 10 Australian card has the Australian distributor Blake Films printed on it. Blake films appeared to have released selective AIP product for only a short time early to mid 1960's. A daybill or any other Australian posters would be great to see.
  • edited June 2017
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    Pancho said:

I can't remember seeing it and it's definitely not on this thread anyway. It would be great if you would download the image.

I saw The Hands Of Orlac daybill image recently on Google but couldn't download it and now its gone altogether. Do you have the image Pancho you could let us see?
    Sorry accidently resent this in error. I have something else in mind to appear soon.

• edited June 2017

Mighty Joe Young ( 1949 ) was released in Australia in 1949, and it appears in Australia only, with the original U.S. working title for the film Mr. Joseph Young Of Africa. A beautiful Simmons RKO full bleed poster and the first time I have sighted a daybill for this title. Another image found and slowly and surely images are surfacing for long unseen titles for all to now appreciate.

• Original 1949 U.S. Insert for Mighty Joe Young  and the Australian 1949 Daybill retitled Mr. Joseph Young Of Africa.

• Great daybill!  Lucky John :)
  • Only image I can locate of The Hands Of Orlac ( 1960 ).

• For a split second I thought that was the Mad Love daybill...then I gave my head a shake
  • 8g882 FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE Aust daybill 1959 completely different open coffin artwork

Don't know if there's a nicer version out there?
  • Is there another version of this United Artist poster as well? Both Curse Of The Faceless Man and The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake, on all the copies I have sighted have no Australian censorship ratings on the poster. I have reason to believe there was possibly an original colour version printed as well.

• edited August 2017
    oops.
  •  The Clown And The Kid ( 1961 ).

Starting late 1950s into the 1960s United Artists had a large amount of duotone posters produced. Most of the posters were follow up posters printed in duotone by an unlisted printer of mainly "A' grade films.There were also a great number of "B' grade films also printed in duotone such as 'Curse Of The Faceless Man' and 'The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake', along with many others. It would be fair to comment that some people have said the "B' grade titles may have been printed only in duotone. A fair comment, but the above "B' film 'The Clown And The Kid' original Advertising And Commercial  colour daybill was also printed by an unknown printer in duotone as well. I believe then one could argue then that original colour daybills could exist for 'Curse Of The Faceless Man', 'The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake' and many others as well. 

• edited May 2018
    HONDO said:

Only image I can locate of The Hands Of Orlac ( 1960 ).

At last a decent size image has surfaced since I posted the small image.

• Mighty Joe Young is a great daybill, but i don't like the Aussie title.

• Most Dangerous Man Alive ( 1961 ) ( made in 1958 for intended RKO release but eventually sold to Columbia ) and  The Hand Of Night  ( 1968 ). Released in Australia in 1970 by Seven Keys. Both images of these films seem to be missing in action.
  • HONDO said:

The Clown And The Kid ( 1961 ).

Starting late 1950s into the 1960s United Artists had a large amount of duotone posters produced. Most of the posters were follow up posters printed in duotone by an unlisted printer of mainly "A'' grade films.There were also a great number of "B'' grade films also printed in duotone such as 'Curse Of The Faceless Man' and 'The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake', along with many others. It would be fair to comment that some people have said the "B'' grade titles may have been printed only in duotone. A fair comment, but the above "B'' film 'The Clown And The Kid' original Advertising And Commercial  colour daybill was also printed by an unknown printer in duotone as well. I believe then one could argue then that original colour daybills could exist for 'Curse Of The Faceless Man', 'The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake' and many others as well. 

U.S.A. inserts and Australian duotone images.

Further to my re-posted comments above from August 2017,  I am still a firm believer that there may have been colour versions printed for The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake and Curse Of The Faceless Man. They most likely are not similar to the above two inserts, but nevertheless a limited colour version similar to The Clown And The Kid style with better graphics and credits I would think. Interestingly all the images of the above two duotone daybills that I have sighted have no Australian censorship ratings printed on them 
    Another reason I believe that there may have been two versions are the examples of The Split and The Dalton Girls pictured below. Although to the best of my my knowledge an image of the alternative and less detailed duotone version of The Split has not surfaced yet on Google, but I know one exists as I have have sighted the duotone version in person in the past.

What I have noticed with the numerous examples of United Artists daybills that I have saved images of, being both 'A' and 'B' films, is that all examples of where there is full colour and also duotone version, is that the duotone versions never have printers credits appearing on the posters.This then leads me to some duotone daybills pictured below that I believe were the only daybills printed for these titles. My reasoning here is that these " B '' film posters have well known printers credits and detailed film credits printed on them. As well I have included  ( far bottom ) the original similar U.S.artwork of The Cat Burglar and the original U.K. artwork of Follow That Man. The Boy Who Cried Murder was an independent film production released in the U.S.A. by Universal, British Lion in the U.K. and United Artists in Australia. Whereas The Cat Burglar and Follow That Man where copied from original overseas material it would appear to me the Australian distributor United Artists possibly didn't have any images and only had the film's details to work with, so the Robert Burton poster artist's imagination came up with the result you see below.

• It! The Terror From Beyond Space ( 1958 ) colour and duotone daybill images. Further reason to believe some form of colour daybill versions would have been printed for The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake and Curse Of The Faceless Man previously discussed on this thread.

This often seen image of Curse Of The Faceless Man ( 1958 )  Australian daybill appearing above on the left , followed by a newly found image of this film just displayed by Sven on the Missing Daybill thread. Sven's image was a case of United Artists ordering a follow up printing in most likely the early 1960's where the unknown printed used the artwork from the earlier released UA film Pharaoh's Curse ( 1957 ) to copy from..

• (Wil )                                                                     ( John ) 

From The Earth To The Moon ( 1958 ). Australian daybill and Australian one sheet images. This film  was only released in Australia in 1964.  

Previously listed as missing a daybill image.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HONDO said:
     ''X'' The Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( 1963 ) previously listed as a missing daybill and possibly released in Australia by Roadshow. A complete mystery as the only release date I can locate is in 1972 and I am still thinking possibly as a Roadshow re-release along with other AIP first release and re-release horror titles Roadshow obtained, many of which had been previously banned in Australia. The above 8 x 10 Australian card has the Australian distributor Blake Films printed on it. Blake films appeared to have released selective AIP product for only a short time early to mid 1960's. A daybill or any other Australian posters would be great to see.
     ( spritz-paper / eBay )

At last an original Australian daybill has surfaced. The actual release date is a complete mystery but should have been in the 1960's.
  •   

Destination Moon ( 1950 ). Original Australian U.S.A. insert poster.

A rare Australian newspaper advertisement placed for screenings in Newcastle NSW in 1951 for the large 1655 seating Civic Theatre.

I am unaware that an image of a daybill poster of George Pal's Destination Moon, or an actual  poster exist today.  The daybill would be a B.E.F. release and most likely W.E.Smith designed and printed. I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong.  
  • Hmmm, another I am sure I have seen!
    I'm with you. Bugger me I think I've seen one urghhhh!!! I don't think it was that flash of a poster.
  • edited September 2019
    HONDO said:

Destination Moon ( 1950 ). Original Australian U.S.A. insert poster.

My bad - I should have just said original U.S.A. insert poster. Where did I get the Australian from ?

Matt said:
    Hmmm, another I am sure I have seen!
    I'm with you. Bugger me I think I've seen one urghhhh!!! I don't think it was that flash of a poster.
    Good signs  that there is one then.
  • I will investigate and get back to the group!