Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

•  149                    150    151

The war movies quiz is back. Name the film titles.

• Lost on all three.
  • Some clues then.

#149. Some similarities to a famous earlier 1960's war film.

#150. There is a quiet connection here.

#151. A mystery as well as being a war film.

• 151.  Night of the Generals

Sorry only one I can help out with.  Hubby likes that one.

• 151. All Quiet On the Western Front
  • 151.  Night of the Generals

Sorry only one I can help out with.  Hubby likes that one.

Correct Ves and The Night Of The Generals was released in 1967. The image has Peter O'Toole, playing General Tanz, standing up in the vehicle directing the operation. I viewed the film only for the first time a few years back and enjoyed it as well.
  • Matt said:
    151. All Quiet On the Western Front

My numbering ended a little off. Did you mean 150 for your answer ? The answer is incorrect and my '' quiet '' clue refers to a connection between All Quiet On The Western Front ( 1930 ) and the film the above image appeared in. Don't let the black and white image mislead you as the film was in colour. and decades later.
  • edited June 2017

It looks like clues aren't going to bring forth an answer for # 150. A Time To Love And A Time To Die aka A Time to Love ( 1958 ) is the answer. Notice for the Australian release daybills were printed  with both titles appearing.

• # 149 has a connection to a film released only  a few years before. The plot is similar and what about a key word in the title of both films? I am hoping now someone will recognise the film.
  • HONDO said:
    # 149 has a connection to a film released only  a few years before. The plot is similar and what about a key word in the title of both films? I am hoping now someone will recognise the film.
    Film is "Play Dirty" (1968).  Tough one to find, and I don't know the connection, unless it is for The Dirty Dozen which was a few years earlier.

Not real strong on war films.
  • edited June 2017
    jayn_j said:
    HONDO said:
    # 149 has a connection to a film released only  a few years before. The plot is similar and what about a key word in the title of both films? I am hoping now someone will recognise the film.
    Film is "Play Dirty" (1968).  Tough one to find, and I don't know the connection, unless it is for The Dirty Dozen which was a few years earlier.

Not real strong on war films.

Play Dirty is indeed correct. The film was released in the U.K. on 1 January 1969, and follows a similar theme of convicts recruited as soldiers. The film starred Michael Caine.
  • edited June 2017

Name the three films. All three images are from very well known films. Top # 152, Middle # 153 & Bottom # 154.

• 154.  The Deer Hunter
  • I think 154 is platoon?
  • 154.  The Deer Hunter

Correct. The Deer Hunter from 1978.
  • edited June 2017
    Sven said:
    I think 154 is platoon?

Sorry Sven it is as Ves answered earlier, with the answer being The Deer Hunter. Right war though.
  • HONDO said:
    Sven said:
    I think 154 is platoon?

Sorry Sven it is as Ves answered earlier, with the answer being The Deer Hunter. Right war though.
    Leason learnt..dont mess with the Ves  :)
  • You should know better than to argue with the Ves on a De Niro movie :)
  • Clues for # 152 & # 153.

152 features German soldiers on the Eastern front during World War Two. Directed by an American who had a controversial reputation.

153 was a World War Two film, based on an autobiography.

• Final clue for 152  is ''Wehrmacht 17th Army''  and final clue for 153 is '' The dogface soldier''.
  • 152. Cross of Iron

153. To Hell and Back

I had no idea...google and the clues given are both my friends!

• edited July 2017
    HONDO said:

Clues for # 152 & # 153.

152 features German soldiers on the Eastern front during World War Two. Directed by an American who had a controversial reputation.

153 was a World War Two film, based on an autobiography.

HONDO said:
    Final clue for 152  is ''Wehrmacht 17th Army''  and final clue for 153 is '' The dogface soldier''.

152. Cross of Iron

153. To Hell and Back

I had no idea...google and the clues given are both my friends!

Both correct. # 152 is Cross Of Iron from 1977 and # 153 is To Hell And Back from 1955. I'm not 100% certain but I think that is Audie Murphy,second from the left, appearing in the first line of soldiers advancing.
  • 155               156 157

Name the three films. Some followers of this thread should know all three. This quiz will take a break after these three have been answered.

• 155. Where Eagles Dare...only one I know off the top of my head...
  • 157... The Iwo Jima movie?...from a few years back, Eastwood had something to do with it...you know the one...don't make me google!
  • 157.  Letters from Iwo Jima - ok I googled.

Googled 156 too just for my peace of mine, but will leave it for others who didn't have to cheat to name :)

Argh!!! Beat me too it.
  • # 156 has had two daybills of this film appear on the forum.
  • Of course...Above Us the Waves 1955. I remember the scene now.

157.  Letters from Iwo Jima - ok I googled.

Googled 156 too just for my peace of mine, but will leave it for others who didn't have to cheat to name :)

HONDO said:
    # 156 has had two daybills of this film appear on the forum.

Matt said:
    Of course...Above Us the Waves 1955. I remember the scene now.

All three answers correct. Where Eagles Dare ( 1968 ), Letters From Iwo Jima ( 2006 ) and Above Us The Waves ( 1955 ). I remember seeing Above Us The Waves on television many years ago and in the scene depicted above, Donald Sinden's character tries to push off a mine. This tense scene is the main thing I remember from viewing the film.

A brand new quiz will replace this quiz shortly.