Skip to content

Lobby card border art

Last week, I mentioned that there were some cards I collected just for the border art.  I bought all of these for low $$, many for opening bid.

Bruce and I had the exchange that when he mentions the cool border art, it is code for the fact that the card itself is a rotting woodchuck under the porch.

I collected the following cards strictly for the borders.  They are all pre-ww2 and each has a certain charm.  Some have cool art deco designs, some show action.  I don't believe I have seen most of these films (exception is Northwest Passage).  I'm not implying that there aren't more recent films out there that have border art that sucks you in.  Perhaps some of you can reply with examples, and/or I can expand later in the thread.  However, most of those that I see relate directly to the film.  These seem to have a style of the time and mostly don't relate to the movie directly.

Comments

• You should delete the first card because it is a post WWII re-release. Otherwise a great post, and you can't believe the value you get when buying cards like these!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• IMHO: "Those We Love" is cool for it's border art and Public Stenographer for subtle and Mysterious Airman is an out and out winner.
  • Super nice examples...
  • Great thread and great lobbies! And prices are usually ver reasonable. 

Yours are also in wonderful shape!

Heres a nice horse racing one!

• silks and saddles are right on the mark IMO.
  • For those who may not be aware Silks and saddles ( 1921 ) was an Australian made film. Released in the U.S. as Silks And Saddles as well as Queen O' The Turf.

• This one jumps right off the page.
    Love your cards, Jay!

• Great thread and some great example lobbies.  I have few modern ones I can chuck into the mix when I have more time.

LOVE Those We Love card...gorgeous, and Public Stenographer...

• Beautiful examples. I might start getting some like those myself!
  • here is a 1924 silent I just won in Bruce's major:

• Forgot I didn't do the musical LC thread here, so the border art thread works too.  Fred and Ginger's first starring role (1934).  Hard to find this stuff

• Most excellent - she sure could dance...
  • I just noticed this artwork recently and love the border art on The Haunted House ( 1928 ). Actually love the whole card.

• That is really cool.  I'm a bit jealous.
  • That is excellent (border) art!
  • David said:
    Most excellent - she sure could dance...
    Comments are cool, but likes get me badges :)

• =

I spotted these two impressive cards today for the now lost film South Sea Rose from 1929. Thought I should share.

• Very nice.  I especially like that they did different border art for each card.  The set would likely be stunning.
  • Those South Sea Rose cards are wonderful!
  • The Woman From Chicago ( 1930 ) is another wonderful lobby card with fantastic border art. Edward G. Robinson is the person at the back wall.

I have a lot more exceptional images of lobby card border art, from mainly the early 1930's. If anyone would like to see more images please let me know.

• I, for one, love seeing them.  But, I started the thread, so you knew that.
  • hehe
  • ( Top ) Night World ( 1932 ) lobby card with Boris Karloff featured.  ( Above ) Thought you may like to see this great theatrical cinema advertising for Night World.

• jayn_j said:
    I, for one, love seeing them.  But, I started the thread, so you knew that.

I'll hang back from posting Jay, as I don't want to appear to be hi-jacking your thread.
  • No, don't hold back.  I love seeing this stuff, and I have no ego here.  I will continue to post when I get something especially nice.
  • WIDOW FROM CHICAGO is SPECTACULAR!
  • WIDOW FROM CHICAGO is SPECTACULAR!
    What she said!
  •  Tiger Shark ( 1932).

The Menace ( 1932 ) ( Bette Davis )

• HONDO said:

Tiger Shark ( 1932).

The Menace ( 1932 ) ( Bette Davis )

Great cards. But I'd bet on the shark over the dragon!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com