Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

So many heralds printed but so few survived

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

When one reads the above  details appearing on The Masked Woman herald that was printed in the U.S.A.in 1927, what jumped out at me was that the numbers available to be ordered were up to 10,000. Even the minimum amount an exhibitor could order was 1,000. The mind boggles as to how many heralds would have been ordered and despatched to cinemas for handing out. The sad thing is how few from this period survived. Discarding of unwanted heralds after reading must have been the norm.

Lawrence

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The theaters had employees go to busy corners and thrust one into the hands of EVERYONE who walked by. 99% of those either went on the ground or into the nearest trash can. And since employees were told to stay there until they were all handed out (which was no fun, since many people did not like being accosted), it was not unusual for the employees themselves to simply toss a bunch of them into a trash can when no one was looking and say "Done"!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    A question to David. Is a ballpark figure avaikable as to the average condition of any 1920's and 1930's heralds you have seen over the years ?
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Most of the ones I have for Aussie Films are in Fine or better condition.  Basically unused.

My two cents

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I think Rick has quite a few Aussie heralds??
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    edited August 2017
    HONDO said:
    A question to David. Is a ballpark figure available as to the average condition of any 1920's and 1930's heralds you have seen over the years ?

Not seen too many to be honest but from memory the ones I have were in excellent condition. I think due to size most ended up inside folders, drawers etc so were well preserved and well forgotten
    Post edited by David on
    David
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I guess you guys don't know that in addition to tens of thousands of pressbooks I also have many thousands of heralds!

There are two types. One are the ones you see with theater info printed on them. The others were samples put in pressbooks (in the early days, "tipped in") and those always have ordering info on the reverse. I don't know any collectors who value one kind over the other.

The reason most of the ones you see are in great condition is that, while there have been a very few herald collections found, most often the ones that survive are stacks of the same one that never got passed out.

This is why most heralds are either extremely rare or extremely common.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Sorry David I am unable to see the 9 images you posted today.
    Lawrence
    Bruce said:
    I guess you guys don't know that in addition to tens of thousands of pressbooks I also have many thousands of heralds!

There are two types. One are the ones you see with theater info printed on them. The others were samples put in pressbooks (in the early days, "tipped in") and those always have ordering info on the reverse. I don't know any collectors who value one kind over the other.

The reason most of the ones you see are in great condition is that, while there have been a very few herald collections found, most often the ones that survive are stacks of the same one that never got passed out.

This is why most heralds are either extremely rare or extremely common.

Thanks Bruce. I believe the same situation occurred in Australia regarding the information you provided on the last three lines of your reply. The heralds that have turned up in many cases are multiples and in excellent condition such as Lovers And Luggers.
    Lawrence
    edited August 2017
    HONDO said:
    Sorry David I am unable to see the 9 images you posted today.
    Try again...

David
  • RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I've got a stack of late 30s, inc Snow White, Wizard of Oz, Invisible Man, Destry Rides Again, plus Elvis titles from the 60s.

Gee, i wish David would learn how to post photos here!

Rick said:

Gee, i wish David would learn how to post photos here!

I know....I'm such a noob
    David
  • RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    You are, and as punishment please donate Frankenstein, Mummy and Waltzing Matilda to my collection.

I have some nice early Aussie titles, including 40,000 Horsemen and Flying Doctors, plus some Dad and Daves.
    edited August 2017
    :) Great material David.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    :) Great material David.
    I'll be here all week, try the veal...

David
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    A lot of my heralds have probably survived by being stored inside the related pressbooks for decades. One of my favourites: