Skip to content

Bladerunner 2049

Comments

• Oh yeah I know about and didn't like the violence in the original!

The first two posters were very good but the latest is a C-:

• E-gad!  Not Leto!
  • Not exactly setting the design world on fire
  • Going to watch the original and cry that they decided to do a sequel and take away the thrill of being one of the weird ones that liked it off the bat.

I suppose they'll go and do sequels with my other favs, Tron, The Jungle Book, Planet of the Apes, Saturday Night Fever, The Blues Brothers, Grease, The Commitments...

• The POTA reboots are much better than the originals.

The other sequels you referenced - as well as Wall Street - were pointless disappointments.

I have no doubt all involved in making the sequels TRIED to make a good movie but it was too difficult to recreate the "magic" of the original....

• The POTA reboots are much better than the originals.

Some would argue not, given the storyline was the same then all that gives the reboot the edge is the CGI.
  • edited September 2017

A scene from BR2049...or no?

• looks better as a quad...
  • Wajan Road, Seoul.

Nice pic

• Coupla weeks ahead.
    I'm still psyched.
  • edited September 2017
    This morning they had a TV commercial for BR2049.

Maybe I’m prematurely senile but I don’t recall seeing a movie TV commercial in years for some reason....

https://youtu.be/UiLKaU_n-gY
  • edited September 2017

For Australian members information  Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford will appear on The Graham Norton Show on the Ten television network next Friday night.

• USAToday praised it with a 4 star review 

• I am remaining cautiously optimistic.  I just cannot get my head around anyone actually proclaiming it to be "better" than the original (I guess 'original' is a moving target given all the various versions since 1982).  That film exists on such an exalted pedestal for me I cannot fathom anything even approaching it...  

However, the fact it seems to at least achieve something in parallel with the original is really all I can ask for.  If it by some miracle surpasses that - well I am ready for the rapture!  
  • If you compare anything to the original voice over version...anything would almost always win.

From the director's cut onwards...good luck getting close.

• Just came though on my FB feed...why the original will be hard to top.

• Millennials really don't like the original Blade Runner movie: 'I just wanted it to end'

4 Oct, 2017 2:00pm

Chris Schulz
    By: Chris Schulz
    Chris Schulz is the Deputy Head of Entertainment.

She'd read the reviews, bought into the hype and was ready to do her homework.

So when Rachel Bache sat down to watch the original Blade Runner movie in preparation for this week's sequel, she was full of anticipation.

She didn't like what she saw.

"I fell asleep through a few parts," says Bache, who works as part of The Hits' social media team.

"By the time it got to the big fight scene I was so bored and sleepy that I didn't really care about how it ended, I just wanted it to end."
    A scene from the 1982 film Blade Runner
    A scene from the 1982 film Blade Runner.

Blade Runner, Ridley Scott's futuristic 1982 movie based on Philip K Dick's 1968 novel, is considered by many to be a sci-fi classic, a slow-burner with big ideas that's grown in status since its initial lacklustre release.

Tomorrow, just 35 years later, a sequel called Blade Runner 2049 is being released.

Directed by Enemy and Arrival's Denis Villeneuve, it's already being hailed by critics as a masterpiece and among the year's best movies.

Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling in Blade Runner 2049
    Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling in Blade Runner 2049.

But Bache says after a bad experience with the original, she isn't that keen on seeing it.

"The pacing is what got me the most. It just seemed to drag forever ... it's just a weird futuristic cop movie."

At 29, she isn't alone. Other millennials spoken to by the Herald had similar experiences as they prepared for the sequel.

"It didn't make me think as much about artificial intelligence as I thought it was going to, it wasn't as deep as I expected," says George Fenwick, 22, an entertainment writer at the Herald. "It didn't blow my mind."

Fenwick called the film's plot "confusing", called Ford's acting "wooden" and said he "wasn't really sure what anyone was doing at any point".

However, unlike Bache, Fenwick is still keen to see the sequel based on Villeneuve's previous efforts.

But Ella Wilks, 32, a video producer at NZME, says when she and two friends tried to watch the film recently, they all fell asleep - and she's not interested in seeing the sequel.

"It wasn't bad, it was just slow ... compared to today's standards. It didn't look out of date, it was just a long movie and took a long time to get anywhere," she says.

No one in the room "made it through" the screening, she says.

Another millennial, TimeOut writer Siena Yates, 27, is excited about the sequel and plans to see it during the first days of release.

But when asked about her knowledge of the original film, she asked if David Hasselhoff was the film's big star.

Harrison Ford in a scene from the original Blade Runner movie
    Harrison Ford in a scene from the original Blade Runner movie.

Movie critic and Herald writer Karl Puschmann, who watches a minimum of 100 films a year and diarises his viewing habits via a blog, has strong views on why the original film is considered a classic.

"It was the first film to show us the future. Not the, 'Gee whizz let's race around the galaxy having adventures' futures of Star Wars or Star Trek, but a more realistic vision that absolutely rings true," he says.

"It's miserable, dangerous, wet. You can imagine living in this reality because we're not too far away from it."

But even he admits the film might feel slow compared to today's offerings.

"Deckard's not a charismatic lead, it's intentionally vague, and everyone talks in monotone," he says.

"But that's exactly why it's so beloved. The film treats you intelligently, leaves you to fill in the blanks and gives you the space to soak in its brilliantly realised world.

"Unless of course you fall asleep."

• edited October 2017

FFS...we're all screwed.

•  You have had the depressing news, so its time for some good news. IMDB current rating  8. 4/10 and Rotten Tomatoes average rating 8. 5/10.
  • ***** ''as bold as the original Blade Runner. and one of the 2017's best''.- Empire.

• Watched The Graham Norton Show a short time ago when this scene from Blade Runner 2049 was discussed. Harrison accidently hit and made contact with Ryan. You just have to love the look on Harrison's face after he has realised what has just happened..

• 25,000 on RT like it. I'm seeing it Mon.

• Jared Leto stayed in character:

HF was loosy-gousy:

• What a twot - it's fucking acting.