Skip to content

Wow - What A Difference A Country Can Make In Poster Design

2»

Comments

• And I still think this is one of the better posters for the film (though many would argue):

It is.
  • Crossfire ( 1947 ) U.S.A. one sheet, which for some reason had never appealed to me, maybe the colour and the artwork, and a French poster by Bernard Lancy which I think is great.

• Out of the Past ( 1947 ). Great noir images from both a U.S.A. one sheet and an Italian poster.

• Out of the Past is another one where I quite like the Aussie Daybill in comparison to the other countries.
  • Mel's One Sheet kicks the daybills butt...

• Always liked this one the best.

This is a weird one...nothing really like the movie, but the other half (who loves the movie) thinks its the best thing since sliced bread!

• Once Upon A Time In America...one of my favourite De Niro films...the German paper wins hands down:

though my Argentine comes in a close second ;)

• Bird Of Paradise ( 1932 ) French poster by Bernard Lancy and a Belgian poster leave the U.S. one sheet, appearing below, lagging well behind in the artwork department.

• The Sea Wolf ( 1941 ) Excellent artwork on the U.S.A. one sheet and a great Italian poster. Is a frowning Ida or a sexy Ida your preference?

• Ida on the Italian is a must have.
    Wow, what an improvement.
  • US Styles A&B

DB:

• Daybill
  • US Styles A&B

DB:

Ouch! DB gets blindsided!
  • Danish and Italian posters of Blithe Spirit ( 1945 ).

Australian daybill and actress Kay Hammond ( real life daughter of actor Sir Guy Standing ) as she appears in the film.

U.S.A. one sheet and insert.  Some sexy Kay Hammond images only produced to attract American audiences to see a British film. Make up your own mind as to your preference to which poster, or posters, has the Wow factor? I think the Danish poster is a stunner, but unlike the great looking Italian poster where the Rex Harrison image looks like him, the Danish depiction doesn't look that much like him.

• Leave Her To Heaven ( 1945 ).  U.S.A. poster and an Italian poster designed by Ercole Brini. Having seen the film the Italian poster wins it for me. 

King Of Jazz ( 1930 ). A U.S.A. one sheet and a German A1 poster. Two great looking film posters, but the German chorus girls legs design is my pick of the designs. Anyone agree?

• Agree on King of Jazz, not so much on Leave Her To Heaven...
  • HONDO said:

Leave Her To Heaven ( 1945 ).  U.S.A. poster and an Italian poster designed by Ercole Brini. Having seen the film the Italian poster wins it for me. 

King Of Jazz ( 1930 ). A U.S.A. one sheet and a German A1 poster. Two great looking film posters, but the German chorus girls legs design is my pick of the designs. Anyone agree?

Absolutely, Lawrence. But remember that most U.S. posters of this time were "star based" (because moviegoers went to see their favorites), while non-U.S. were often "image based" (likely because their moviegoers were not nearly as familiar with those stars). And above you chose examples from Fox and Universal, that at least made a good effort to have interesting images for most of their posters, unlike Warners and MGM, who pretty much stopped caring about delivering great posters, likely because they had way the most popular stars from the mid 1930s to the mid 1940s.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Seems to be another great thread I've missed somehow. Cool subject and beautiful (if not difficult to obtain) posters. Thanks, Lawrence!

• Human Desire ( 1954 ) U.S.A. one sheet.

Two Human Desire Italian posters.These Italian posters do it for me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Lady Vanishes ( 1938 ) U.S.A. one sheet

The Lady Vanishes ( 1938 ) Argentinean poster. Although a misleading poster image I prefer this one.
  • Same film - believe it or not!

7j880 TRAUMA Aust daybill 1976 artwork of Udo Kier sexy Linda Hayden a shock to your system  7d906 TRAUMA 1sh 76 artwork of Udo Kier sexy Linda Hayden a shock to your system  4a909 TRAUMA 1sh 76 artwork of Udo Kier sexy Linda Hayden a shock to your system
  • Hahahahahahaha - I would never have guessed!

• ( John )

The Australian daybill incorrectly had Udo Keir printed on it when it should have been Udo Kier, as it appears on the above U. K. one sheet.
  • Over the Moon UK and US posters - what a difference. The US poster is one of the most ordinary one sheets of the 30's. Merle Oberon being United Artists leading female star at the time, couldn't have been impressed with that effort.

•  ( U.S.A. )
    For the American poster artwork printed above for the Abbott And Costelo Meet The Mummy ( 1955 ) film, the Marie Windsor image is dressed in appropriate clothing for Egypt in the 1950's. 

( Belgian ) 
    The Belgian artwork on the other hand has a  contemporary dressed woman appearing in the same coffin scene. The image this time resembles looking nothing like Marie Windsor at all, and the female appears in a more sexy style western outfit. 

• As an afterthought I had to add this U.K. quad poster's artwork that uses a different advertising approach here, resulting with this spectacular result.

• Quad art is generally quite excellent and that is no exception, though i would have liked to see a bit more of the Mummy