Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

• Thanks Mark!

There are two kinds of searches. When you type "jumbo" or "jumbo lobby card" into the Main Search Field, it finds EVERY record that has that term in it. So for example, when you just type "jumbo" you will get all results for the Doris Day movie of that name.

But after you do that, go to the left and under "Search Filters" select the exact size you want, and that deletes those extraneous results.

This of course works for every size.

Bruce

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:

But after you do that, go to the left and under "Search Filters" select the exact size you want, and that deletes those extraneous results.

This is my favourite feature in the search on EMP :)
  • This is my favourite feature in the search on EMP :)
    It saves SO much time! It is also great for just searching by decade or genre or star or whatever.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Firstly thanks Bruce and others for your help and it was as simple as searching for typing in jumbo lobby cards. It appears Paramount and Fox were great supporters of this size in the early days. A great scene card of Wings ( 1927 ) above, but it appears to me portrait cards of the actors and actresses were very popular as well.

• Those portraits are not really jumbo lobby cards. They are small versions of the 22x28 portraits that were made from 1909 to the late 1940s.

The odd part is that they did MAKE jumbo lobby cards for just about every movie (as seen in the pressbooks), but almost none survive!

• Bruce said:
    Those portraits are not really jumbo lobby cards. They are small versions of the 22x28 portraits that were made from 1909 to the late 1940s.

The odd part is that they did MAKE jumbo lobby cards for just about every movie (as seen in the pressbooks), but almost none survive!
    A question then is why are they listed as jumbo lobby cards and not under another title ?

• The two separate sets of four Wings Jumbo lobby cards seem different sizes to me. 

• I could change the jumbo lobby cards that are portraits to something like "personality 14x17 posters", but no one would know what that means. When they were first made, the portrait ones (for stars, not movies) were far more rare than the ones for movies, but now they are all about equally rare.

On the Wings, they are exactly the same size. To make items look reasonable in our galleries, we make almost all of them the same height, and they let the width be whatever it should be proportionally. So these solely look like different sizes because they are all sized to the height. But the vertical ones are (in person) 17" high, and the horizontal ones are 14" high, and their widths are of course reversed.

• Thanks for that information Bruce.
  • Hi Bruce,

With you starting to add images to your archive of posters you've never auctioned from your pressbook collection, do you think you'd ever look to expand that idea and start loading images of other rare posters? 
  • I expect Bruce's problem would be that he doesn't own the images.  
  • I only add items that I once auctioned, or images of posters from pressbooks I own.

If you want to see more images of super-rare posters, start consigning them! =)=)

• Bruce said:
    I only add items that I once auctioned, or images of posters from pressbooks I own.

If you want to see more images of super-rare posters, start consigning them! =)=)
    But then I wouldn't have them anymore! You can see the bind I'm in :-)
  • Thanks for putting together a "production art" auction. Nobody else has auctions like this:

• Thanks, Mel. As I wrote in my email club, looking at all this stuff in one set of auctions, one might get the idea it is relatively easy to find, but actually this auction was literally YEARS in the making!

I used to run a few of these items in our "miscellaneous" auctions. But I longed to do an auction of solely production art, animation art, and studio created transparencies and negatives, so starting several years ago I asked consignors if they would let me hold their items until we had enough for this special auction, and almost all agreed, and now this auction has come to be! The next such auction might be a year from now, but it also might be several years from now. This stuff is just THAT rare!

Of course, there are auctions like this at the fancy Hollywood auctions, but there, the items almost always have sky high reserves. But maybe I will get good enough results that I can hold an auction like this once a year. But I have to be careful what I wish for, because this was one of our most time-consuming auctions ever.

• Agreed. It's great to see the art that didn't make it. Or the designs that became the sets. These two are my favorites. 

• Great that EMP will auction another ESB-LANDO-JAPANESE-INTERNATIONAL-TEST 1S:

Hopefully it's not linen-backed. (Just IMO but the consignor (Kevin Doyle) who linen-backed them was a disgrace to the hobby! It's totally irrational to LB a modern, undamaged, ultra-rare MP.)

Any new info about its origins? Your latest info:

• What's the movie about?
  • David said:
    What's the movie about?
    Goodies vs badies in a space setting...i think
  •  Ah-hem....I believe it's referred to as a space opera.... :wink:
  • Oh all y'all are weird!!!

It's like never watching Grease, The Godfather, Casablanca, etc.

• Another Q arises:

How/why/when was the color scheme so radically altered?

• edited October 2017
    Who hasn't seen Star Wars and those other classics multiple times??? David's just pulling our flat file drawers right?....  :D
  • I've seen the originally released 3, but after that...um, I might have seen one or two...I recall something with Natalie Portman...
  • edited October 2017
    Posters advertised as 22'' x 28'' stills and also as  22'' x 28'' enlargements ( full colour ) in Australia in the 1960s. Your thoughts please Bruce ?
  • Can you show me an example?

• HONDO said:
    Posters advertised as 22'' x 28'' stills and also as  22'' x 28'' enlargements ( full colour ) in Australia in the 1960s. Your thoughts please Bruce ?
    Bruce said:
    Can you show me an example?

No, not a one. I was hoping you may  have been able to help me, although I couldn't  locate any sign of anything that fits this description on your website.

1960's Australian press sheets, describing the odd sizes that I am seeking details / images of. My thoughts are that they may be U.S. half sheets and my reasoning will appear on a new thread titled '' Information regarding U.S. printed posters used, or appeared to have been used in Australia'', to make an appearance soon. The size is the same, but the stills and enlargement descriptions are a worry though.

As well as Bruce I would love to hear from anyone else that could throw any light on the 22'' x 28'' stills and enlargements  ( full colour ) Australian press book descriptions. Does anybody own or has sighted any Australian poster material that would fit these descriptions ?  I find it unusual that Bruce appears,with all the material he has been consigned from Australia, to have never received anything that would fit these descriptions. My research on the web also has turned up zero as well.

• This is the only Aussie poster that I know of that is roughly those dimensions:

7z050 CARRIE Aust special poster 77 Stephen King different image of Sissy Spacek after the prom
  • I have a few smaller format posters from the 80s, 90s...but nothing from the 60s that I can recall.
  • They did 16x20 full color stills for many titles in the late 1960s, and a few 20x30s. I would think that is what these were (just giant blown up stills).

I highly doubt they were half-sheets, but I guess anything is possible!