Skip to content

Planning when to liquidate

I, like many are getting old.  Bruce has posted a couple of times that at some point, it is only fair to liquidate most of your collection and not stick it to your kids to deal with.

To that end, I ran across this interesting article on "Swedish Death Cleaning" that seems to apply.

https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning-organizing/swedish-death-cleaning-new-decluttering-trend.html

Of course, I am still collecting at 68, but I am slowing down and being more selective.  Soon, I am going to need to be satisfied with what I have and start selling it off.  Pick a few items for display, a few that the kids want, and just shed the rest.  I think a trip to West Plains, MO may be in the cards in the next couple of years.

Comments

• I'm sort of there, having moved from a large home in Sydney to a smaller one in Melbourne the (lack of) display space forced my hand a bit, I've been quietly weaning, it may take a while but I am slowing thinning it out.
  • edited October 2017
    I was talking to my daughter and asked her if she would take my collection when I die (sounds weird but our family talks like this; even my dad, grandma, etc.) she went sorta "meh"... I was actually surprised. I said what about my vinyl record collection?  (I have around a thousand lps) She said "just for you daddy, I'll keep your stuff"...  Of course she is only 9...
  • awwwww
  • Charlie said:
    I was talking to my daughter and asked her if she would take my collection when I die (sounds weird but our family talks like this; even my dad, grandma, etc.) she went sorta "meh"... I was actually surprised. I said what about my vinyl record collection?  (I have around a thousand lps) She said "just for you daddy, I'll keep your stuff"...  Of course she is only 9...

Yep.  My 20 YO daughter wants about 15 of my posters, but asked to swipe my turntable and all of my vinyl.
  • Phew!  At least there is some hope with our youth!
  • My daughter wants Gone with the Wind, i think my son would take a couple of the rock music posters - he already has taken the spare `Grass' for his wall - then they can make a bit of cash selling the rest. I aim to reduce the bulk a bit when i get into my 60s but still addicted to buying at the moment
  • Rick said:
    ... when i get into my 60s 
    Started selling then...?
  • i'm younger than some on this board, though not by much

• Age is just a number...

...and a back ache, knee groan, nana sleep...
  • edited October 2017
    Rick said:
    My daughter wants Gone with the Wind, i think my son would take a couple of the rock music posters - he already has taken the spare `Grass' for his wall - then they can make a bit of cash selling the rest. I aim to reduce the bulk a bit when i get into my 60s but still addicted to buying at the moment
    Image result for impatiently waiting

"...And HOW far away is 60?..."  =)
  • calm down, still a few years to go.
    I just got 20 or so daybills in today, but also bought a Grizzly quad and went to file it only to find I've already got it.
  • At least you have a consistent filing system.
  • jayn_j said:
    I, like many are getting old.  Bruce has posted a couple of times that at some point, it is only fair to liquidate most of your collection and not stick it to your kids to deal with.

To that end, I ran across this interesting article on "Swedish Death Cleaning" that seems to apply.

https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning-organizing/swedish-death-cleaning-new-decluttering-trend.html

Of course, I am still collecting at 68, but I am slowing down and being more selective.  Soon, I am going to need to be satisfied with what I have and start selling it off.  Pick a few items for display, a few that the kids want, and just shed the rest.  I think a trip to West Plains, MO may be in the cards in the next couple of years.
    Too bad, Jayn. I liquidated my collection in part because I was afraid I wouldn't make it and I knew my family wouldn't know how to deal with them or their value.

If you have a large collection that is not easily packed up, ask Bruce to send one of his ees to your house. (You'll have to the ee's travel costs and salary.)

• jayn_j said:

Too bad, Jayn. I liquidated my collection in part because I was afraid I wouldn't make it and I knew my family wouldn't know how to deal with them or their value.

If you have a large collection that is not easily packed up, ask Bruce to send one of his ees to your house. (You'll have to the ee's travel costs and salary.)

I figure that the shedding will likely be part of my decision to retire.  At that point it might be nice to kill a week dropping it off and seeing where all that money goes when it drops out of the hole in my pocket :)
  • David said:
    ees?
    Employees. I was an employment lawyer for 17 years. You know how many times I wrote "employees"? 2.4 gazillion  :|
  • It shouldn't be a nightmare for Bruce then, as it should be something just up his alley.
  • David said:
    ees?
    Employees. I was an employment lawyer for 17 years. You know how many times I wrote "employees"? 2.4 gazillion  :|
    Imagine how many times Bruce has written poster...he wins.
  • Employees. I was an employment lawyer for 17 years. You know how many times I wrote "employees"? 2.4 gazillion  :|
    Imagine how many times Bruce has written poster...he wins.
    A better question would be how many times have I written "cool" or "sexy".

A customer once wrote in and asked if our auction titles were written by 16 year old boys!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:

Ha-ha! But I bet more than one cheeseball runs a “sexy” search for your pending auctions. Um, er ... like me....

• Try also searching for "sexiest"!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:

Ha-ha! But I bet more than one cheeseball runs a “sexy” search for your pending auctions. Um, er ... like me....

I prefer not to refer to myself as a cheese ball, but yes I have searched that term.
  • Leggy? Legs? 
  • HONDO said:
    It shouldn't be a nightmare for Bruce then, as it should be something just up his alley.

• David said:
    Bruce said:

I prefer not to refer to myself as a cheese ball, but yes I have searched that term.
    Alright, I’ll go with “wombat!”  :D

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/australian-profanity-how-to-swear-like-an-australian

• I've learned a few choice Indian swear words to let loose on the scam callers I get on a semi regular basis
  • edited October 2017
    David said:
    I've learned a few choice Indian swear words to let loose on the scam callers I get on a semi regular basis

And they are? Use spoilers if you have to.

Edit: Reason being, I'm sick of saying "Fuck off"

Opps, did I say that out loud.

• I think I am now ready to hang it up and move to the next phase.  Heritage this week provided me with the last cards in my Rogers/Astaire lobby card collection (see other thread)

Now that I am nearing 70, I think it is time to stop buying.  I need to finish cataloging stuff, get a couple of albums together and maybe put up a better website.  I want to experiment more with cleaning and restoring lobbies.

Other than that, it is time to start shedding the bulk.
  • I have been offered quite a few collections this year. In fact, I am getting more emails than ever from people wanting to sell either some or all of their collections. I have a couple of friends who have absolutely massive collections and they are getting on in years so will need to make some decisions about what to do. 

Its not that easy to sell a collection and it can take a lot of time. I know of one collector who passed away about 10 years ago. He had mostly high end posters and his family found that it was a huge job to liquidate everything. Some of the posters are still being sold at various auctions around the world and there are a lot more that they still need to sell.

Other people think that their collections are worth at least what they paid for them but the reality is often not the case. As more posters come onto the market the values are affected - sometimes dramatically. 

Collectors think that their kids will be able to make some money from the collection but most have their own lives and they don't want to have to sit in front of a computer researching and listing so they would rather just get rid of it all in one hit if possible. Maybe Bruce could set up an office in Australia to take some of these collections!

• edited November 2018
    I figure I’ll end up like my dad and open up a shop/gallery when I retire and just enjoy meeting other collectors as I try to sell my collection until I die. If it sells fine, if not ok.  I can only hope one of you bazterdz will write me a nice send off like Bruce has done for so many...