• Charlie said:
    And here we go:

Untitled

Blue crayon?

Untitled

Pencil...

Untitled
    Massive undertaking! 
    * What elements are going to be addressed? Pencil, crayon, tape, toning, fading? Any others? 
    * What support are going to use? Linen? Mulberry?
    * Restoration approach? Reversible only? (Watercolors?)Semi-permanent mediums? Permanent? 
    ---Looking forward to following the progress! Thanks for posting!
    I've been contemplating how to attack this one.  I am trying something a little different at first and have ordered some dry cleaning supplies and will try to work off some grime first.  Then I think I will have to face mount it and remove the backing.  Then I can treat it, bleach it, and paperback it.
  • I might not face mount it.  I might see how easy it comes off after a long soak.
  • by "long soak", is that a bath, or sprays soaking....

how long does that take? Is it necessary to soon after back the item? Or can you let it dry, to later treat darkening, wash, deacidification? bleach?

i would think that soon after the removal of a backing that the paper item would need to be washed/backed soon after. 

Is face surface weak? brittle? I looks delicate. 
  • Wet is wet...
  • This is  gorgeous , looking forward to seeing it done in its full glory
  • Well, I regret to inform you guys the Mr. Deeds window card is pretty much a loss.  After removing the backing and washing crap out of it for two hours - the bleach melted it...  I was able to back it but it will take hours of touch-up and reconstruction to bring it back to presentable.

This is the fourth poster I've done where I needed to extend the bleaching time past about 3-5 minutes and I am noticing some similar trends.  The bleaching of really dark (due primarily from acid) actually destroys some of the connecting tissues and makes the poster extremely brittle/mushy.  I had long-bleached two Roman Holiday cards and the inked surface started to detach away and required extensive touch up and didn't really look that great.  I had to significantly bleach Ves' cowboy poster and when I went to put it on the mulberry, the folds separated.   And now the Mr. Deeds which was bleaching for a good 10 minutes - melted.  I need to do some research and see if this is a problem with the bleach destroying the chromophores in the paper or if the ph is too low in my solution - enough to literally eat the insides of the paper.  
  • A moment of silence...
  • Well, I am on here now.

So,

Sorry to hear this Charlie.

Remember WC use a very porous type of paper stock.

Paper like that will accumulate and store ( like a sponge ) dirt and everything else in much higher content.

Not sure if just water and Orvus would have cut it?

End of the day, wouldn't know if you didn't try.

Cheers,
    dario.

• Still....lots of info gained I'm guessing in your methods used to bring Mr. Deeds along! :)
  • I did try a new way of handling the poster.  I sandwiched it between two pieces of holytex and between two pieces of Mylar.  I was able to wash it while it was between the holytex without pieces floating away which was cool.
  • Well played....well played.... B)

actually, that's a very cool technique. In my bath tray Ive had to grab pieces paper (my Jackpot 1 Sht) and painfully reposition in the Mylar. If I knew ahead of time -which I normally do- a poster was that fragile, it could be sanwhiched ahead of time. 
  •  David said:
    A moment of silence...

:s
  • Well, I've done it.  I've shipped off the very last of the OPP (other people's posters)... I didn't even finish them all.  Poor Matt (Harry Caul) - I eventually just had to just send them back. With the success of our engineering firm - it looks like my linenbacking days might be over.  I've got three large canvases left that are already stretched and a few small canvasses stretched.  Now I have to decide my final pieces.  I'm not sure I've even posted all the "for linenbacking" posters, so it might be fun to go back through and show them. That is if I can find time... grrrr.
  • Charlie said:
     With the success of our engineering firm -

Congratulations to you and Mrs Charlie!  Sad that you won't have time for backing, but yay that things are going great guns.  Just think of it as a backing hiatus...one day you'll be back with a vengeance.

Looking forward to the stragglers when you find the time!

• Indeed! Much congrats on the success of Stevens Technical Services! Yes, post some pictures of recent items and certainly those your backing on your open canvas. 

But this site needs more than my mucking about with linen so I'm with Ves in hoping you'll only be taking a hiatus....especially in January when the College & Pro football seasons end.  ;)
  • Yup, well done on the success.
  • I apologize if I came across braggadocios there - we are very excited... I'm having to work after hours from my current job just to help Roma keep up.  It's not an outright "success" but every little step seems to be in a positive direction... Of course (knock on wood) it could all come crashing down but it is my only good excuse for packing it in right now. I just don't see being as free as I use to be.  Although as of a chat this afternoon, she totally expects me to fill these last frames...  So that was good news.
  • You've done well and you deserve the success Charlie!  
  • I've been thinking about this.  Looks like I was lucky enough to get in there and have a couple pieces done by Charlie.

I can add that my collection of stuff done by other collectors...YAHOOO!!!

• Bloody hell when it rains it pours!

My posters from Charlie have just landed too!

• Bloody hell when it rains it pours!

My posters from Charlie have just landed too!

Looking forward to Ten Commandments!
  • And I haven't forgotten about these either.  Been steering clearing of the posters in case I deposit some DNA on anything via my sneezes.

Will upload the pics of these too!

• Now to the cowboys and Richardsons :)

I cannot thank Charlie enough for agreeing to do Ten Commandments for me, and was thrilled when he offered to paperback another so I could see what they were like for comparison.

I stand by my original comments. The Captain Thunderbolt could be damaged by me so easily!  I am such a klutz, that one wrong move and kaput!  BUT there is really something about the way it looks I really like.  very crisp and ah in your face!  I like it.

Now you all saw the sorry state this one was in!  I love it and will display it with much pride. 

• Nice job Charlie!
  • Great work, Charlie! That Commandments was a wreck when you got ahold of it! 
  • Nice work Charlie
  • Thanks guys... I am actually not that happy with the Captain Thunderbolt.  One of my biggest worries looks to have come true.  It happens when you have to reposition something and the paste is not even or gets too wet.  It looks like some of the poster has bubbled/detached left of the GRANT/TAYLOR title.  This is not typical but when the poster separated at the folds, I had to lift pieces and reposition them and you have to keep the poster wet.  The worst part is that these don't show up until there are enough stresses in the poster - like being rolled for 2 months before shipping. At the time I rolled it up there were no bubbles but my heart knew it was a little iffy. I'm just blah that it happened...  
  • Very interesting!  I have a one sheet poster in six pieces and am scared to execute the process of linenbacking because i will have to position the five sections after the first major piece. This beauty....

My questions Charlie:
    1- Your pretty sure it was the rolling and stress, and not the possibly uneven paste or wet poster? 
    2- Have you had to move large pieces during the linenbacking stage before, and not have waviness ensure?     
    3- Should you I make my paste using a bit more water to allow the paper to slid/reposition it better in alignment?  Thanks!!
  • Charlie said:
    Thanks guys... I am actually not that happy with the Captain Thunderbolt.  One of my biggest worries looks to have come true.  It happens when you have to reposition something and the paste is not even or gets too wet.  It looks like some of the poster has bubbled/detached left of the GRANT/TAYLOR title.  This is not typical but when the poster separated at the folds, I had to lift pieces and reposition them and you have to keep the poster wet.  The worst part is that these don't show up until there are enough stresses in the poster - like being rolled for 2 months before shipping. At the time I rolled it up there were no bubbles but my heart knew it was a little iffy. I'm just blah that it happened...  

You are being way too hard on yourself.  I love em and am grateful that you did them for me...going up next frame out!
  • Mark, it is both... Since I had to actually lift the poster off (as I had already rolled it out and noticed the offset) I had to soak the poster with water so that I did not tear it.  Imagine as if you were about ready to set it aside to dry and you realize a section of the poster was offset by about 2 mm...  I had to lift and wet the paste to get it to come off.  I then had to make a decision whether the poster could take another wash and mulberry paper could take a drying in between re pasting.   Basically total panic mode...  The mulberry got too wet and was wetter than the other areas so when I brushed on more paste it was most likely weakened/diluted.  As long as you have not forced paste out of the area between the poster and the masa, you should be able to re position.  Just make sure there is paste on both the masa and the poster...  If the masa is dry and you put on a pasted piece the masa will suck up the water and make it hard to move it around.  If the masa is moist and there is paste on it as well, it is more likely it will be easier to move.  I also would just try to put on one piece at a time.  If you try to line them up and then put them on then you can reach that panic more real quick.