Skip to content

When nobody wants to post thread....

Comments

• My bro-in-law makes an obscene salary as an investment banker and says it's a "job requirement" to wear fancy watches to impress colleagues/clients.
    Interesting. My brother in law also works for an investment company and his daily watch cost about $50. He shops at Big Lots when possible. 
  • If I could afford them, I'd wear vintage Bubbleback Rolex's from the 1940s & 50s. Great classic time pieces. 
  • I'd only wear a Rolex if I could look this good whilst wearing it...

• Mmmmm...so handsome :)
  •  My parcel from the other side of Melbourne seems to have touched down safely in WA...thank goodness :s
  • I'll go with....how about you?

• Jeepers, never even heard of some (many) of them
  • Most will end up being released in Australia over the next month, or two or three.
  • From the trailers I've seen, The Shape of Water looks like the best contender.
  • Matt said:
    From the trailers I've seen, The Shape of Water looks like the best contender.
    I Agree, and It looks great.

Wind River, the film I viewed a few months ago, would have to be at least considered, as it is an excellent film..

• David said:
    Jeepers, never even heard of some (many) of them
    I haven't watched/cared about the Oscars since Return of the King won in 2003.

Why? Too many obscure movies.

But I'm hopeful one of the HQ pop movies like Wonder Woman will break through and reignite my interest.
  •  HereComesMongo said:
    David said:

But I'm hopeful one of the HQ pop movies like Wonder Woman will break through and reignite my interest.
    Wonder Woman, you are joking aren't you?
    The reason a lot of films are obscure is because they are quality movies that the majority of people don't seek out and go to see.
  • 92% Rotten Tomatoes score, "A" Cinemascore, $820 mill box office.

Changing the subject, I don't see the point of going to the theater for dramas/comedies, which I can watch at home. I want a rollercoaster ride, slam-bang entertainment, special effects, etc.

• 92% Rotten Tomatoes score, "A" Cinemascore, $820 mill box office.

Changing the subject, I don't see the point of going to the theater for dramas/comedies, which I can watch at home. I want a rollercoaster ride, slam-bang entertainment, special effects, etc.

Valid points but don't expect the type of films you describe to win many awards at the Oscars soon.
  • HONDO said:
     HereComesMongo said:
    David said:

Wonder Woman, you are joking aren't you?
    The reason a lot of films are obscure is because they are quality movies that the majority of people don't seek out and go to see.
    and there lies the heart of the problem.  Is the purpose of the Oscars to reward small and obscure pieces of art that have very limited audiences? Or is it to celebrate and reward the films that celebrate the movies?

Way too much of the former.  I agree that a Transformers movie shouldn't win just because it has big box office, but it seems that any commercial success is the kiss of death for a statue.  How many of the Top pictures from the last n years are in your library?  How many have you actually seen?  Heck, how many can you name?

Pretentious should not be the standard bearer for Best picture.
  • I agree Jay.

Seems these days the more arthousey you make it the more buzz it gets.

HOWEVER, I wonder if ever bothered to watch all the movies nominated whether I might agree with the choice?

Just because I haven't seen something doesn't make it less of a great film. 

Like everything else, it simply comes down to people's personal choice.

• As the Oscars are given based on the vote of the members of the academy, I think there is plenty of evidence historically that the voting may have been 'swayed'.
  • I really don't follow the Oscars that closely anymore. I don't have the time or make the time, to see that many newer movies as of late. And the movies that I do see and think are worthy dont get a sniff by the Oscars. 

I agree that it seems to be a trend in the last several years the smaller "artsy" films seem to get more consideration. But since I've not seen them I really can't judge. 

To be honest, I've been pissed at the Academy since 1978 when they foolishly gave Best Picture to Rocky instead of Star Wars!  =)
  • Me too!  Oh wait I wasn't born yet...
  • Charlie said:
    Me too!  Oh wait I wasn't born yet...
     B) 
  • edited November 2017
    Happy Thanksgiving to the Admins for running The place, and to all the other wonderful members on the forum! 
    Cheers! 

• edited November 2017
    Feeling the blues today figuratively....

These two gems sold at Bonham's recently:

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935 US 1S):

XXL IMAGE: http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Storage/midsummer.JPG

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935 US TLC):

I did the usual:

XXL: http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Storage/MID.jpg

Also spotted this on Reddit (has a gazillion likes):

XXL: http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Storage/blue1.JPG
  • That is a super cool image!
  • Some great images there...although I agree with my wife that the LC original is better.

Back to PS school
  • edited November 2017
    Y'all should download the Reddit app and check the "most popular" posts regularly, some amazing stuff posted:

Too many laughers to count:

• To all those recently afflicted with colds/sinus issues. What's worse? Having the crappy symptoms for a week or the side effects from the anitibiotics or steroids for the next ten days.... :|
  • Take care Mark, wont be long before you are on the other side. Get  some good flicks in, a poster here and there and you'll be right!
  • Thanks Sven. It's been a slew college football viewing for me. Meds kicking in though. 
  • Lucky you've take one for the team, only men can take the pain and suffering of man 'flu and live to tell the story for his children to pass down through generations and tell of their ancestor's bravery in the face of such adversity...