Skip to content

November 2017

1235»

Comments

• Love that BR2049er!

• Thanks, I've given this one away, but still not bad. 

• Poster spending orgy over, living again in PoVille  :s

• Nice...a boomerang poster? (you sent it away but it came back?)
  • Always liked that stranger poster...
  • BR 2049 banners are nice too.

I love me some character sets but find their size to overwhelming.

I wish they would do more one sheets...

• I wish they would do more one sheets...

Agree, I'd love it if the Ryan one was as a UK Quad! It'd go nicely with the Drive Quad if I ever track one down!!! 

• edited November 2017

Collectaholic, do youhang yours?

• Collectaholic, do youhang yours?

I'll hold off hanging the vinyl Ryan banner and see if I can track down similar international poster.

If not, then to my wife's displeasure it'll likely be hung in our home office!  B)
  • A nice Goddard and two Liz Taylor posters this week...

I Love a Soldier (1944) Window Card

Untitled

Night Watch (1973) 30x40 

Untitled

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (1966) 30x40

Untitled
  • nice Goddard! And the 30x40s are in sweet shape!
  • well, I haven't posted anything from my newer acquisitions in quite some time, seeing as I'm always so damned busy processing & selling posters these days, but I recently got some stuff you folks should enjoy

Until I got these, I had not even a single FOH for any Chandler titles, then I had a chance to buy sets for a whole bunch!!!

I have sets for all of these (and more)

there was a mystery added however.
    usually you have sets of 6 or 8 (usually 8), but for instance, in the case of Time To Kill, I got 2 different sets, both original release.
    there is a clue - in the bottom of the left corner, on one set there is an A and the set has B. All scenes are different

Phil Edwards and I have come to the conclusion one set may be an export set.

• hey Mel, that Buck Rogers print looks pretty cool
  • Rich said:
    well, I haven't posted anything from my newer acquisitions in quite some time, seeing as I'm always so damned busy processing & selling posters these days, but I recently got some stuff you folks should enjoy

Until I got these, I had not even a single FOH for any Chandler titles, then I had a chance to buy sets for a whole bunch!!!

I have sets for all of these (and more)

there was a mystery added however.
    usually you have sets of 6 or 8 (usually 8), but for instance, in the case of Time To Kill, I got 2 different sets, both original release.
    there is a clue - in the bottom of the left corner, on one set there is an A and the set has B. All scenes are different

Phil Edwards and I have come to the conclusion one set may be an export set.

Both sets have the U.K. censorship rating of Cert ''A'' printed on them, so I doubt one set was printed for export, as wouldn't a set intended for export not have had the U.K. censorship certificate printed on the cards? 
  • Nice cards, Rich.  Me like.
  • HONDO said:
    Both sets have the U.K. censorship rating of Cert ''A'' printed on them, so I doubt one set was printed for export, as wouldn't a set intended for export not have had the U.K. censorship certificate printed on the cards? 
    I'm not talking about the 'Cert A' at bottom right on the Time to Kill cards.

what I am refering to is the other corner. It looks like a small dot on the 2 cards shown (because the images are too small), in the bottom LEFT corner, but one has letter A and the othe has letter B. Each (A or B) is on 8 cards, making 16 different cards for Time to Kill

I'm at the office so I don't have the pics here to crop for you, but I will later.

• edited November 2017
    I understood everything you said originally, and I don't know why there were 2 sets of 8, totaling all up 16 cards. The point I was making is if one set of 8 was, as you suggested for export, why print the U.K. censorship rating details on the cards that didn't apply outside of the U.K. on the set  Surely they would have left the censorship rating off any intended export cards.
  • HONDO said:
    I understood everything you said originally, and I don't know why there were 2 sets of 16 cards printed. The point I was making is if one set of 8 was, as you suggested for export, why print the U.K. censorship rating details on the cards that didn't apply outside of the U.K. on the set  Surely they would have left the censorship rating off any intended export cards.
    2 sets of 8 cards, Lawrence or 16 cards total

if they aren't for export, then you have the mystery of a film for which there are 2 sets of UK FOH and even Phil was not aware of any such situation before, or at least one that he could recall

he suggested one set could be for export to Ireland

the mystery deepens with the cards for High Window (Brasher Doubloon)

I got 16 cards for that film also. All were exactly the same again, except 7 had a small B in a blank area, 5 had a small A in the same area and 4 cards were blank

I don't know about you, but I had never seen anything like that before.

I've had for some years 13 cards for Frankenstein. I had always presumed, because they have different fonts in the bottom area, that some were re-issues. recently I posted some to a group on Facebook and we figured out that 8 were original release for UK distribution and 5 had no ratings and were therefore for export and all were original 1931 release as there was no UK re-issue.

None the less, it is a mystery why the cards have this A, B situation and why there are 16 different (or more possibly)

• Typo, with the two sets of 16, now altered to two sets of 8, which I had meant to say. I have never heard of this possible scenario happening with any other U.K. FOH cards, Ireland possibly would have had the same censorship rating, Paul? If is was Ireland I have to ask why go to the trouble of producing a further 8 cards for such a small viewing population?
    I would like to see an image of the 3 different types of High Window ( The Brasher Doubloon ) if possible.
  • I haven't scanned the High Window yet. they just got here and the scanner broke last month, not yet replaced
    I'll probably shoot photos this week though

here are the Time to Kill

• I though the following details interesting, regarding a connection between Time To Kill ( 1942 ) and The High Window ( The Brasher Doubloon ) ( 1947 ), the two films being  currently discussed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   The Brasher Doubloon was known in the U.K. as The High Window, which was the original working title of the film in the U.S.A. It technically is a remake of Time To Kill, which had adapted Raymond Chandler's novel The High Window as a Michael Shayne adventure in 1942. Nothing to do with the current different FOH cards query, but interesting nevertheless.

• edited November 2017
    While Time to Kill & the High Window are both from the same Chandler novel (titled the High Window), the 1947 film is not at all a remake of the 1941 film, both of which are different adaptations.

This is however unlike the Falcon Takes Over & Murder My Sweet. The Falcon Takes over has numerous changes from the novel that are clearly echoed in MMS, which is obviously the product of merging a new adaptation of the novel with plot elements that were changed to fit the shorter & more compact story from RKO's previously made film

sadly, I was only the underbidder on an original script for Time To KIll at a Profiles in History auction last year, but I did make the winner pay 2-3x the script's actual value

• Thanks...there are some really stunning Argentine posters out there (Matias better watch out!)

You better....! Nah, can't get mad at you ;)
    Nice to see you got that mockingbird.
    And hello all! Been kinda busy these days and haven't been around that much...
  • Rich said:
     but I did make the winner pay 2-3x the script's actual value
    Given you were one bid short of owning it then that statement also means you would have been happy to pay 2-3 times the value...
  • David said:
    Rich said:
     but I did make the winner pay 2-3x the script's actual value
    Given you were one bid short of owning it then that statement also means you would have been happy to pay 2-3 times the value...
    yes to some degree, but not because I was wanting to pay that much. Factually, I had some additional information & knew who I was going to be up against and after it became obvious I wasn't going to win, I plainly drove him up