Skip to content

RIP Roger Moore

edited May 2017 in R.I.P
Sad to hear this. He was a regular watch with.Dad and myself particularly Man with the golden gun.

Comments

• Indeed. Thought he was so cool in The Saint and my first Bond film was Live and Let Die
  • Yes. Roger Moore will be missed. He was a good actor and played Bond well. Spy Who Loved Me was my favorite. God Speed. 
  • a friend posted the following story today.  I think it really speaks to the character of the man:

"As an seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at 
    airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at
    the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond
    and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no
    idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in
    front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you
    sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my
    plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head
    back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but
    it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out
    it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts
    sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name
    - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only
    just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the
    wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up
    with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over,
    looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I
    have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out
    I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and
    he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves
    absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James
    Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that
    involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador.
    He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in
    passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it,
    and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to
    meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in
    the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked
    both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember
    our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen
    - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."
  • Thanks for posting, Jay. RIP, Roger...Mr. Bond...
  • Great story jay!
  • Oh that is just an amazing story, the 7 year old in me just clapped with glee!
  • Official personality poster: