Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    @Lawrence. Thanks for the info and images.

****Does it ever play out that the "add blocks" have artwork similar to the Daybill? It doesn't appear that way for Flying Tigers. 
  • @Lawrence. Thanks for the info and images.

****Does it ever play out that the "add blocks" have artwork similar to the Daybill? It doesn't appear that way for Flying Tigers. 

Juke Girl ( 1942 ).

Another distributor this time being Warner Bros. Different artwork on the daybill than on the press sheet. It appears to me the daybill artwork was designed to be different from the press sheet add blocks. I will investigate further into this matter to see if I am able to find anything the same.

• Great...still another reminder I still want a Juke Girl daybill, thanks!
  •  Hold That Ghost ( 1941 )

Universal press sheet this time and again different artwork on the Australian daybill compared to the press sheet add blocks.

• Background To Danger ( 1943 ). This is an interesting example here from this Warner Brothers entry. The Australian second printing duotone daybill features the artwork from the Australian press sheet  pictured above, The add block seen in the top left hand corner was the source for the majority of the material used on the daybill.  The Peter Lorre and Brenda Marshall image, which originated from the above U.S. lobby card was added to the bottom section to complete the daybill. This is the closest I have been able to find of  press sheet add block material and the daybill being the same.

• Hope a full colour surfaces - I think it would look fantastic!
  • Back to the daybills. The Shadow Strikes ( 1937 ). Missing the B.E.F. daybill from the delayed first release in Australia circa 1942. Being B.E.F. and most likely printed by W.E.Smith it should be nice.

•  

The Panic In The City  ( 1950 ) and This Gun For Hire ( 1942 ) daybill images are back. Ves originally  displayed the images here on this thread but they were removed by Photobucket. Too good not to be seen.

•       

The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre ( 1948 ) Australian 1949 release one sheet titled Treasure Of Sierra Madre and a U.S. 1948 one sheet and insert poster. As the film was released in Australia in late 1949, one would have thought the Australian film classification rating would have been printed as being Not suitable for children, which came into being in 1948. Apparently it took a little while for the switch over in classification ratings to finally happen. An Australian daybill, to my knowledge, has never been sighted.

• Another missing Bogart. The Return Of Doctor X ( 1939 ). Original U.S.poster artwork above, along with an interesting approach in advertising for a 1940 Australian release newspaper advertisement.

• edited September 2017

Ladies Of The Chorus ( 1948 ), We're Not Married ( 1952 ) and Love Nest ( 1951 ) U.S.A. insert posters.

Monkey Business ( 1952 ) U.S.A. insert poster along with a 1953 Australian newspaper advertisement for the Australian released title of Be Your Age. 

Here now are the major missing films of Marilyn where daybill images, not yet to my knowledge having been sighted by the masses. The missing daybills all should have been printed by W.E.Smith

• I've seen were not married...pretty sure love nest has surfaced too.  
  • I've got We're Not Married daybill, not Love Nest though i have seen it for sale.
  • Sorry for the crap image...maybe John can provide a better one...

• edited September 2017

Bit better, but not by much...hopefully John can help...I found Rick's :)

• Curse Of The Undead ( 1959 ). Originally banned in Australian in 1960 on horror grounds and I had long thought that is was never released in Australia theatrically. I have just found that the film was passed for theatrical screenings on 35mm on 1st June 1972 with a PG rating, after being resubmitted for classification.

I haven't been able to find any confirmation that the film received any bookings in Australia, but it most likely screened here, as you wouldn't import a film and not screen it.

A nice looking U.S. insert appears above, along with the original daybill printed for the New Zealand release, where it was passed with cuts in 1960 and given the R16 classification.

There must be a CIC Australian daybill out there somewhere, but if and when it turns up it most certainly should be on par I would think with the two 1960's originally banned film daybills pictured below. Curse Of The Werewolf ( 1961 ) and Nightmare ( 1964 ) were also resubmitted and passed for exhibition in 1972 by CIC. I am wondering if the Curse Of The Undead daybill has the house image pictured on the bottom of the poster as well ?

The missing Brides Of Dracula ( 1960 ) daybill will be covered next.

• A much better We're Not Married ( 1952 ) daybill image, which I personally prefer to the U.S. insert. A big thank you to Ves, Rick and John for the images received and their help. One image available out of the four rare posters is a good start.

• And of course Nightmare uses the US art for Macabre.  The floating face top left looks very familiar as well
  • And of course Nightmare uses the US art for Macabre.  The floating face top left looks very familiar as well

I am too lazy at the present time to repeat a twelve page comment I made on the ''We want it SCARY ... but not TOO scary!'' thread in September 2015 about the Nightmare and Macabre artwork.If anyone has the time, and may be interested  they can always look it up.

This is the artwork the Australian daybill should have looked like.

•  

Interestingly for The Curse Of The Werewolf daybill CIC used an image of the supporting actress Catherine Feller, instead of the main actress Yvonne Romain.

• Brides Of Dracula ( 1960 ). Originally banned in Australia in 1961, but  it was resubmitted by CIC and passed for theatrical exhibition in 1972. The interesting thing here is that the film was given a NRC rating and comparing the running times of the censor passed version with the original running time it appears the film was passed uncut. What I find of interest is that a film banned from exhibition in 1961 on horror grounds, in only eleven years, is then passed for exhibition in what appears to be an uncut version and only given a mild NRC rating. What a difference eleven years makes in a censor's thinking.

The original U.S.A. release insert appears above. Although the film was banned in Australia the film, also in 1961, was passed for exhibition in New Zealand and given a R16 ( with cuts ) classification by the N.Z. censor. A duotone daybill, most likely printed I Australia,  appears above as well. The image and Dracula threatening a woman is the same image used on an Australian daybill printed for House Of Dracula ( 1945 ).

It will be interesting if an Australian 1970's daybill turns up  to see what it may look like. Along with the Curse Of The Undead will it have the house on the bottom right hand corner of the poster appearing on it as well?

Nightmare                                                                       The Curse Of The Werewolf

• I wonder if the passing of so many once banned films in the 70s is due to what looks like a resurgence of cinema, mainly in the ah, how shall I say less modest direction of films.  The 70s in Aussie cinema seemed very much a matter of anything goes!  So surely 60s horror film would have been but a blimp on the censors radar.
  • edited October 2017
    Maybe off topic here but do they even make daybills anymore for new releases?

Or have they gone exclusively to one sheets, like they did in the US in the early 80s?

Also, has anybody seen this one auctioned or sold by a dealer? How much did it sell for? Used to ridicule it but nowadays worship cheeseball perfection:

But maybe even more divinely-inspired cheese in this auction photo I snagged off eBay in my prior MP life:

• Strategic Air Command ( 1955 ) U.S.A. insert.

The majority of 1950's Richardson produced and printed  Paramount daybill images are available to see. One of the major titles missing an image of appears to be Strategic Air Command. As the film is from the mid 1950s, multiple copies of this daybill are sure to exist today. Has anyone seen one or better still own one, and if so, an image posted on this thread to share would be great.

In answering Mel's earlier questions - yes, yes and no.

• I don't recall ever seeing one.
  • Finally - it does exist =)

• Nice Chris! Lancaster was buff before it was in....
  • The Mask Of Fu Manchu ( 1932 ) U.S. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1933. I am thinking a nice looking long daybill would have been designed for this title. Hopefully one day, preferably sooner than later, one will turn up.

• Tumbling River ( 1927 ) rare Australian daybill is for sale on ebay at present. When an extremely rare daybill turns up like this one, is gives one hope that other missing daybills will also hopefully surface soon as well.

• Cry Vengeance ( 1954 ). U.S.A. insert, and I have included the  U.S.one sheet as well as it is also great. To the best of my knowledge I have never sighted an Australian daybill or an Australian one sheet of this title.To our film noir collectors, have you ever seen any Australian posters of this title ? The daybill should be W.E. Smith printed, and the one sheet possibly Victory Publicity.