Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

Up for grabs: RARE HALLOWEEN 4&5 double feature item, Rare STAR TREK item, MORE

MonsterAGoGoMonsterAGoGo Member Posts: 64 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
This is my first post here...so if this is in the wrong area, i apologize. I'm NOT a dealer, just a collector. A while ago I sent a bunch of stuff off to eMovie for auction. It was my first time and, well...the results were mixed (and really, they were NOT the best posters). I never "advertised" them here when they were actually up and running. Oops. Last night I saw a note on another poster site from a member and his auctions on Heritage that are running now and thought, "Oh, yeah. Duh! I should have mentioned mine."  I only have a few items left to go in the batch I originally sent out. They are up for grabs NOW. It's just before Christmas and they are floundering. Granted they are not the most exciting of items, but one item is really rare/collectible and there's another that's also kind of hard to find as well. Take a look or don't:

ENCOUNTER IN THE DEEP: (Spanish)A country of origin poster for the sci-fi UFO/Bermuda Triangle/Aliens flick that riffs heavily on CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

ENTER THE DEVIL:  The low-budget '70s satanist film made in the desert "It's too late for exorcism". I'm guessing its low budget also caused it to have smaller than usual one sheets as i've never seen a proper size one sheet for this. Whatever.

STAR TREK: THE MENAGERIE: I don't know what these things are called. They are the little strips with the title on them they place over the doorways to the theaters. This one is kind of rare. It's for a 2-night showing of a 2-part episode of the original "STAR TREK" TV show on the big movie screen. Before I knew this was for sale this week, I had flipped through the listings. I didn't even see it in there as it was so small (compared to posters or whatever). No bids. Great for the STAR TREK fan out there who THINKS he has everything.

HALLOWEEN 4 and HALLOWEEN 5: (double feature) Here is another of those doorway things i don't know the name of.  This is for the super rare HALLOWEEN 4 & 5 one-night double feature re-release in only 250 theaters. SUPER RARE/HARD TO FIND. Again, i completely missed this as I was flipping through the listings because it is so small. I sent this in hoping it would have been used in the Halloween auction--NOPE. No one sees this in the auction it is in now and there are NO bids on it yet either. ARGH!

You can read about the fate of my other posters and the prices they fetched (or DIDN'T fetch) here: https://mymoviepostercollectionagogo.blogspot.com/2017/10/selling-some-posters-writing-some.html

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,211 admin
    Read the blog - good luck on the sales! 
    David
  • MonsterAGoGoMonsterAGoGo Member Posts: 64 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Golly, thank you for looking, David. The commissions ate me alive. Take a look at my first check---Ha!

https://mymoviepostercollectionagogo.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-while-back-on-my-main-blog-i-reported.html

I'm sure these last few stragglers won't go for much either. Oh well. It was a learning experience.  CHEERS!
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,264 admin
    Yep... But they sold.  It's a catch 22: sell them yourself and wait and hope for a buyer or know they will sell but you get what you pay for.  I don't think that the comission are that high at all considering it takes even 15 minutes of combined employee time to photo, list, pack etc...  There are wages and overhead and of course profit. 
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Thanks Charlie. Those who feel the commissions are too high should simply not send any more items, and sell them ANY other way.

There are well over 2,000 people who love the service we provide, but "you can't please everyone".
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    edited December 2017
    Incidentally, the reason the commission rate on ultra cheap stuff is so high is because we lose money auctioning it! It is designed to strongly discourage people from sending sub-$12 items (especially sub-$8 items), UNLESS they simply want to be rid of the stuff.

There is no other auction who would have accepted such a consignment. And in spite of the rates seeming high, we charge a commission rate on such cheap posters than our competition. Had they been auctioned in the place with the $19 minimum premiums, the consignor would have received around 75 CENTS from each $20 sale.

Post edited by Bruce on
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited December 2017
    As I've said many times, I consigned 1800+ MPs to EMP, which sold them in total for 10-15% MORE than I'd paid for them but took a well-deserved 30% sales commission, so overall I lost quite a bit on them. You had to get into the hobby 20 years ago, get lucky, open up a new Cinemasterpieces.com, and/or "flip" Mondos to make money in this hobby IMO.
    Post edited by HereComesMongo on
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection

• MonsterAGoGoMonsterAGoGo Member Posts: 64 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    No, I was NOT complaining about the commission charged... I have NO COMPLAINTS against eMovie at all. I knew the commission rate going in, and as I said, i didn't send in the best posters. The batch i sent in was hastily thrown together to try to reach them before the Halloween auction deadline. I just have to laugh at the small check that came my way. Ha! I also said it was a learning experience. I was just sharing my silly story.  Cheers!
    As I've said many times, I consigned 1800+ MPs to EMP, which sold them in total for 10-15% MORE than I'd paid for them but took a well-deserved 30% sales commission, so overall I lost quite a bit on them. You had to get into the hobby 20 years ago, get lucky, open up a new Cinemasterpieces.com, and/or "flip" Mondos to make money in this hobby IMO.
    I think you are off here. The people who have done well, buy judiciously, trying not to overpay, and look for what's not so "hot" now that might heat up in the future, and then they hold their collection for at least five or ten years.

If they did all of the above well, they will likely make money overall, even with consigning, and if they bought well and got lucky, they might make a LOT. But if you pay too much (like 25% or 50% over market), and then sell within a few years, you are almost sure to lose.
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,211 admin
    Answer is pretty bloody obvious

David
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:
    Answer is pretty bloody obvious

Ha, or start digging in landfills to find the NSS "throwaways" from the 1980s.

For example, 100% of the remaining MPs at the Charlotte NSS exchange were unceremoniously dumped in the local landfill.

Pic of Atari ET game cartridges trashed in the 80s and excavated recently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection