Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

We want it scary...but not TOO scary!

123457»

Comments

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    More NZ censorship fun!

4b221 FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED Aust daybill 70 Peter Cushing cool horror montage 6d206 FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED Aust daybill 70 Peter Cushing cool horror image
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Goodbye Gemini ( 1970 ). Original country of origin U. K. quad poater.

U.S.A. one sheet, with similar image. Then there is the Australian daybill, missing the scary images with the knives, and replaced with a teddy bear image. 

Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,062 admin
    And sometime censorship just doesn't hurt a thing

US - The Biggest Bundle of Them All

Belgian - The Biggest Bundle of Them All

Spanish - The Biggest Bundle of Them All

David

Goldfinger ( 1964 ) original Australian daybill and the censored New Zealand version. For those who haven't seen these examples previously.
    Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,382 admin
    "James Bond is back in Action!".....but from the censored poster you'd never know! 

My questions Lawrence @Hondo?
    1) are these Aussie or NZ posters?
    2) At what stage was the censorship performed? Governmental Agency? Theater? 
    3) Are the censored posters more rare because they had to take the time to block out the offensive images? 

Thanks!
    Mark
    "James Bond is back in Action!".....but from the censored poster you'd never know! 

My questions Lawrence @Hondo?
    1) are these Aussie or NZ posters?
    2) At what stage was the censorship performed? Governmental Agency? Theater? 
    3) Are the censored posters more rare because they had to take the time to block out the offensive images? 

Thanks!
    All good questions and I will endeavour to answer them to the best of my ability.

1) Both posters were printed by the same printer Robert Burton in Australia.

2) We don't know for sure regarding where exactly the censorship alterations took place. In this particular instance James Bond expert John Reid had the following to say about the N.Z. censored Goldfinger daybill poster. I am sure he won't mind me reproducing his thoughts here.'' The unusual thing about this poster is that the changes look to have been made at the time of printing - specifically for the New Zealand release rather than added / modified later as often the case''.

3) How rare a New Zealand censored poster is, would vary from title to title. In some particular titles I have only seen multiple copes of a censored N.Z, version avaiable in Australia but not the original uncensored Australian version. In this particular case of Goldfinger the N.Z. version is extremely rare.My question though is would you spend good money to purchase a copy of this ridiculous looking version if one was available?   
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,062 admin
    HONDO said:
    My question though is would you spend good money to purchase a copy of this ridiculous looking version if one was available?   
    Nope.
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,382 admin
    @Lawrence. Thanks for the reply. All very interesting info as I'm not too familiar with the Aussie/NZ poster history. 

Would I spend good money to purchase this copy? If I had the original, and the censored version wasn't too steep, sure. It's kind of a novelty and unique to the hobby & its history. 
    Mark
    Um...hello? Censor guys? We can still see her!

3y857 PROM NIGHT Aust daybill 80 Jamie Lee Curtis wont go home if shes not back by midnight

Hello-Goodbye ( 1970 ). Australian daybill and the same daybill altered I believe for for the New Zealand release with less provocative wording for the Kiwis. Previously mentioned on the thread regarding snipes, but also qualifies to be on this thread as well.
    Lawrence

A Cold Wind In August ( 1961 ). U.S.A. original insert poster and the altered Australian daybill version. All mention of ''... a teenage boy and a mature woman, etc.'' and the image of the couple ''embracing'' was apparently thought too provocative for Australian audiences in 1962.

Cry Tough! ( 1959 ). U.S.A. insert and Australian daybill. In line with the Australian film censors dislike of knives - no knives allowed, but a piece of threatening wood, that looks like a rolled up newspaper is fine. ''C'mon Punk...'' also disallowed.

Lawrence

The Girl In Lover's Lane ( 1960 ). U.S.A. original one sheet and insert posters at top, with the same posters showing just above in two slightly different censored versions. My question is where and when were the posters censored ? Were they modified after some complaints were received in the U.S., or were they censored perhaps in either Canada or New Zealand ? The lack of Canadian or New Zealand film censorship has be thinking perhaps not.

This film was released in Australia in 1963 by Regent Films, and apparently no Australian posters appear, to the best of my knowledge, to have surfaced yet. It would be interesting to see what the Australian artwork looks like, so Pancho or Rick, any chance you have a daybill or have ever seen one?
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

Deep Red  ( 1975 ). Original U.S.A. one sheet and Australian one sheet.Hanging scenes and blood normally frowned upon by the Australian censor appear on the U.S. poster, but surprisingly the following graphic scene was allowed on the Australian alternative designed poster that ended up being produced here.

Lawrence
    My Deep Red daybill is one of my most prized items! I really think the 7 Keys team nailed the design.