Skip to content

When nobody wants to post thread....

Comments

• Harbin (China) International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival

• edited January 2018
    Australia gets relatively little attention in the US but the national TV show Today today featured a cool profile on Coober Pedy, which is mostly underground to escape 115F heat and to search for opal:

https://www.today.com/video/this-opal-mining-community-gives-down-under-a-whole-new-meaning-1136810051561

Anybody visited there?

• A question for you Yanks.

In most homes I see on these renovation shows Fixer Upper etc, why and what are those cables hanging out of the walls next to the power outlets? TV? Internet? Why can't they be terminated on an outlet on the wall?

• I did this many times during my DC days:

• Matt said:

A question for you Yanks.

In most homes I see on these renovation shows Fixer Upper etc, why and what are those cables hanging out of the walls next to the power outlets? TV? Internet? Why can't they be terminated on an outlet on the wall?

Picture?
  • Matt said:

I suspect yes and yes.  A pic would help, but most of the companies will send out an installer to hook you up.  Junction boxes cost both time and money, so often they just run the cable through the wall or floor and leave it hang.
  • jayn_j said:
    Matt said:

I suspect yes and yes.  A pic would help, but most of the companies will send out an installer to hook you up.  Junction boxes cost both time and money, so often they just run the cable through the wall or floor and leave it hang.

If a tradesperson in Aust. ran a cable out the wall like that I suspect they would not get paid. Maybe for multiple cables like for a surround sound system they would a least drill a hole in a blank plate or use what's called a brushed bullnose plate.

• edited January 2018
    Yeah, the majority of residential contractors in the US are shit... I’ve only found one contractor I like and they messed up the second job.  The are lazy and pretty much worthless if you have any sort of high standards.
  • Charlie said:
    Yeah, the majority of residential contractors in the US are shit... I’ve only found one contractor I like and they messed up the second job.  The are lazy and pretty much worthless if you have any sort of high standards.
    Most of the young people in the U.S. are too busy going to college and getting deep in debt, while they emerge with degrees that get them few jobs. And not only can't you find a good young contractor, you also can't find a good young electrician, or plumber, or mason, or a zillion other trades.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Charlie said:

I guess that's why you did your own Kitchen. May of taken longer but at least it was done right.
  • edited January 2018
    Matt said:
    Charlie said:

I guess that's why you did your own Kitchen. May of taken longer but at least it was done right.
    http://jeffpicard.com/blog/oil-changes-man-vs-woman/

Oil Change instructions for Women

1. Pull up to GM Dealership when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.
    2. Drink a cup of coffee.
    3. 15 minutes later, scan debit card and leave, driving a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent: Oil Change:$24.00

Coffee: Complementary

TOTAL: $24.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree,and use your debit card for $50.00.
    2. Stop by Beer Store and buy a case of beer, (debit $24), drive home.
    3. Open a beer and drink it.
    4. Jack truck up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
    5. Find jack stands under kid’s pedal car.
    6. In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
    7. Place drain pan under engine.
    8. Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
    9. Give up and use crescent wrench.
    10. Unscrew drain plug.
    11. Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
    12. Crawl out from under truck to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
    13. Have another beer while watching oil drain.
    14. Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
    15. Give up; crawl under truck and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off..
    16. Crawl out from under truck with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
    17. Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
    18. Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
    19. Remember drain plug from step 11.
    20. Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
    21. Drink beer.
    22. Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
    23. Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
    24. Crawl under truck getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
    25. Begin cussing fit.
    26. Throw stupid crescent wrench.
    27. Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit truck and left dent.
    28. Beer.
    29. Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
    30. Beer.
    31. Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
    32. Beer.
    33. Lower truck from jack stands.
    34. Move truck back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
    35. Beer.
    36. Test drive truck.
    37. Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
    38. Truck gets impounded.
    39. Call loving wife, make bail.
    40. 12 hours later, get truck from impound yard.

Money spent: Parts: $50.00, DUI: $2,500.00, impound fee: $75.00, bail: $1,500.00, beer: $20.00

TOTAL: $4,145.00

But you know the job was done right!

• To be honest, I've been pissed at the Academy since 1978 when they foolishly gave Best Picture to Rocky instead of Star Wars!  =)

Posted yesterday by SS:

• Matt said:
    Charlie said:

Bar is almost done.  Just need to tile the backsplash and wall...

Untitled
  • Oil Change instructions for Women

1. Pull up to GM Dealership when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.
    3. 15 minutes later, scan debit card and leave, driving a properly maintained vehicle.

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree,and use your debit card for $50.00.
    2. ...
    This applies to linenbacking as well... Collector wants to linenback a $50 poster. Mel sends it to Poster Mountain and spends $1,000... Charlie spends thousands setting up a studio and about $200 every trip to Texas Art Supply (20-30 in total probably), the confidence builds and Charlie continues to spend thousands on posters he plans to restore. Charlie runs out of time and is left with a bunch of extra linen, masa, and 20 empty 2x4 frames scattered in his informal living room which now he has to here his wife complain about for the rest of his natural life...  But hey, no permanent color pencils or wall paper paste was used!
  • Charlie said:

Oil Change instructions for Women

2. ...
      But hey, no permanent color pencils or wall paper paste was used!
    You can stand proud you did it right!.... B)
  • MORE AUSTRALIAN WACKINESS! Smurf-blue tennis courts!

Daybill worship, chowing down on vegemite.....
  • Although colorized a wonderful photograph of a young Sir Winston....
  • Seriously impressive colorisation skills

http://www.marinamaral.com/portfolio-2/
  • David said:
    Seriously impressive colorisation skills

http://www.marinamaral.com/portfolio-2/
    not always a fan of colorization, but wow! great work!
  • edited February 2018
    Astute catch, sans color, more popular than the Beatles nowadays

• A 1959 Australian newspaper advertisement, showing one cinema owner's unique approach to attract certain customers.
  • Man, the Roller Derby posters are flying out the door of late...am I missing something?  Convention?  Tournament?  WTF!
  • Entertainment Weekly: Gary Oldman REALLY did (1) bring home the Oscar for playing Churchhill in The Darkest Hour and (2) put the kettle on!

• Man, the Roller Derby posters are flying out the door of late...am I missing something?  Convention?  Tournament?  WTF!
    Pays for the Long ones :)
  • edited March 2018
    Man, the Roller Derby posters are flying out the door of late...am I missing something?  Convention?  Tournament?  WTF!
    The pro season started here in the US late February...  They have a club here in Houston.
  • Charlie said:
    Man, the Roller Derby posters are flying out the door of late...am I missing something?  Convention?  Tournament?  WTF!
    The pro season started here in the US late February...  They have a club here in Houston.
    Ahhh.  That'll be it then.  Thanks
  • Today we had a typical celebration of Easter with a BBQ on this small construction site.

The builder in charge said a few words regarding our progress and thanked us for works done in a short time frame.

Then he turned his attention to a youngish labourer ( round 30 +) who is an indigenous Australian who served in the Army. He thanked him for a wonderful job cleaning the site amongst other jobs he had done. He put him on the spot then and there. We all looked a each other.

"Tell us a little about your Life"

He looked a little embarrassed. Within 5 minutes he had everyone's attention.

9 11

The day after.

That day, his troop and all were called into a meeting. 300 defence force personal.

They said "today we are going to war"

180 personel seeked early discharge the next day.

Not him!

A labourer doesn't get paid much. He cooked the BBQ.

He already had a great amount of respect in a short amount of time that he'd been working on this job. 

That multiplied....food for thought.