Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

Do eBay Auctions Work?

DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,134 admin
So, I had a look under movie posters (globally).

There were 1,791,407 TOTAL number of movie posters listed on eBay

Equalling:
1,781,844 TOTAL number of movie posters Buy It Now
10,965 TOTAL number of posters for Auction (of which 140 had 2 bids or more).

edit: adjusted total for global not Australia
Post edited by David on
David

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,149 admin
    I put some on auction a few years back and didn’t get a single bid...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    eBay had a great auction business, and they imploded it. I told them to start a separate site for collectibles and OOAK items called "Classic eBay", and run it the way the original eBay was run, but they refused, and I left (and since then, 99% of the auctioneers have followed me).
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,716 admin
    David said:

Equalling:

Pretty grim stats for sellers.
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The Frankie 30x40 was an "old school" success, low starting price, lotsa bids, etc:

Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection

• JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited January 31
    David said:
    Equalling:

Interesting question. I have been selling on ebay for 20 years and have run thousands of auctions during that time. There is not enough space here for me to go through all the things I have learned over the years but one of the big problems for ebay at the moment is the fact that many/most sellers pay nothing to list at auction. That results in the site being flooded with listings from sellers who protect their products with very high opening bids. If their posters don't sell, they don't care too much because it hasn't cost them anything and they just keep relisting it until it does sell.

John

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,134 admin
    So you don't auction anymore John (just BIN)?
    David
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    And if you take out all the fake, repro, and postcards etc, you have a handful of real posters, and it's a nightmare to trawl through..
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    David said:
    So you don't auction anymore John (just BIN)?
    I have had regular auctions going for years in addition to BIN and haven't changed at all. This month, I have listed a few hundred items for auction and had some strong sales. There have been no listing fees for any of the auctions. 
    John