Skip to content

Scenes From Which Movie?

Just thought I'd throw out some movie scenes/sets from some of my favorite movies. Can you guess the movie from the # scene/set? 1-3....Good luck!

#1-

#2-

#3-

Comments

• #3 is Alfred Hitchock's Rope
  • jayn_j said:
    #3 is Alfred Hitchock's Rope
    Correct! Love the movie! Love how the movie plays in real time. 

• # 2 is Mildred Pierce ( 1945 ) showing the wonderful legs of Joan Crawford.
  • Nicely done, Lawrence! #2 is the very well made Mildred Pierce. 
  • #1 looks very familiar, but I can't place it.  Got a feeling that the fish tank and shells are a big clue.
  • Actually it's a Christmas movie, so nothing beachy. 
  • White Christmas:

• edited December 2017
    Yep.  Good job Charlie.  I should have gotten it as I just rewatched the movie.
    Well, that club WAS in Florida :)
    Here is an image that shows more of the set background

• Correct Charlie, #3 is White Christmas! 
  • Three more movie buffs!
    #4-

#5-

#6-I know a bit abstract-but can provide the shack nearby if needed....

• I believe #4 is the mountain cabin in North by Northwest.  Don't have time today to confirm.

• # 5 is North By Northwest ( 1959 ).
  • jayn_j said:
    I believe #4 is the mountain cabin in North by Northwest.  Don't have time today to confirm.

Yes this is the set of North By Northwest, but my question is why is the woman, seen behind the light, wearing a black dress, when in fact in the cabin scenes Eva Marie Saint wore a red dress? The woman in the black dress appears heavier than Eva and the jewellery around her neck is also different than what Eva wore.  

• #6 The Untouchables 1987.

• jayn_j said:
    I believe #4 is the mountain cabin in North by Northwest.  Don't have time today to confirm.
    Correct Jay! Nicely done!
  • HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:

Yes this is the set of North By Northwest, but my question is why is the woman, seen behind the light, wearing a black dress, when in fact in the cabin scenes Eva Marie Saint wore a red dress? The woman in the black dress appears heavier than Eva and the jewellery around her neck is also different than what Eva wore.  

Good observation Lawrence! I think the woman wearing the black dress was VanDame's house keeper. The one who held Grant at gun point as Saint Marie was almost boarding the plane. 
  • HONDO said:

# 5 is North By Northwest ( 1959 ).
    Correct-a-mundo! Love this movie!
  • Matt said:

#6 The Untouchables 1987.

Great snag, Matt!
  • HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:

Good observation Lawrence! I think the woman wearing the black dress was VanDame's house keeper. The one who held Grant at gun point as Saint Marie was almost boarding the plane. 
    Great, that solves who the woman obscured behind the lamp shade is then.The actress is Nora Marlowe who played the housekeeper.What had appeared to have been jewellery was in fact a strip of white material  attached to her dark dress.

• Interesting bits of trivia here:
    https://hookedonhouses.net/2010/03/15/north-by-northwest-hitchcocks-house-on-mt-rushmore/

The house never really existed.  The exterior was a painting and the interiors were created on a soundstage.  Hitchcock wanted something that looked like Frank Lloyd Wright, but couldn't afford his fee.  Anything that already existed would have been easily recognized, so they faked it.
  • edited December 2017

Nobody mentioned #6.  It is the Hardy Creek bridge near Great Falls MT.  We crossed that bridge when I visited my son this summer.  He is in USAF, stationed in Great Falls.

Although I recognized the bridge, I had to use web searches to tie it to a movie, so I won't give away the film.

Hint:  The movie is NOT set in Montana.
  • Matt said:

#6 The Untouchables 1987.

I got it Jay. It's where the Canadian Mounties come down the ravine on the opposite and trap the Accountant for Capone. Connery and Cosner are on the other side.  

Great movie!!!

• Oops.  Good eyes.
  • after a brief holiday lull....

four more to consider....

• edited February 2018
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        # 7 is Lloyd Nolan in Bataan ( 1943 ). 

# 8 is Burt Lancaster & Edward G. Robertson in All My Sons ( 1948 ).

# 9 is Robert Shaw In The Sting ( 1973 ).

• # 10 is Dean Martin in Rio Bravo ( 1959 ). The image at first had me thinking is was from an Italian spaghetti western, but on closer examination it registered with me that it was Dean Martin. The Italian connection was there.
  • Ok. Nicely done, Lawrence.

Just wanted to throw a few out there to get everyone warmed up. Although I thought All My Sons, might trip you or others up. 

I'll have 5 more shortly that will surely be more difficult; maybe even give a few members headaches as they strain to place
    the scene.... ;)
  • edited February 2018
    Ok. 5 more guaranteed to stump even the sharpest movie minds!

• # 11 is Race Street ( 1948 ) with William Bendix, Marilyn Maxwell & George Raft.

# 12 is Air Force ( 1943 ) with John Garfield, two unidentified actors and Charles Drake on the far right.

# 13 is ?

# 14 is They Were Expendable ( 1945 ) with Jack Pennick and Ward Bond in the centre of the image. 

#v 15 in On Her Majesty's Secret Service ( 1969 ) with Telly Savalas.
  • Great work! I thought 13 would have been easy, and Race Street the tough one. 

Anyone on #13? 

I guess this thread could also be titled, some of my favorite movies as these were the movies that made me a fan and want to collect posters as well. 

Not sure how other purists feel, but I thought Savalas was fantastic as Blofeld(sp?)....especially the way he held his cigarette....