Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Thx for posting, Sven. He heard that Ken Burns had made something new about Vietnam. Your right-everything's I've read about that war is heartbreaking.

My father in law was a combat engineer in the Army for the 101ar Airborne. His stories always amaze me. 
  •  Westworld (HBO) on Blu-ray... Such a great series and I am so looking forward to it returning in the Spring.
  • Watching Westworld downstairs and when the girls are sleeping (since I am an early riser) picked up Stranger Things and watching that in the theater room upstairs.

I’ve also been on a Carey Mulligan kick of late picking up and watching: 

• Carey Mulligan - I got to meet her yesterday - what a beauty - she signed a Suffragettes one sheet for me.

Mark

• marklawd said:

Carey Mulligan - I got to meet her yesterday - what a beauty - she signed a Suffragettes one sheet for me.

Mark

Congrats!
  • marklawd said:

Carey Mulligan - I got to meet her yesterday - what a beauty - she signed a Suffragettes one sheet for me.

Mark

Awesome!  She sounds really witty in her talk show interviews.  Did you get to have a conversation with her or was it an autograph session...
  • She was attending a Q & A at the British Film Institute following an advance screening of Collateral - a new TV drama. I had a ticket but annoyingly the event clashed with a moved Chelsea football match which I went to instead. I was lucky in that CM arrived late, after the screening had started, and as there were only half a dozen people waiting in the lobby to see her she paused for us even though she was a little flustered. So no talk but she had a sweet smile and was kind enough to sign for everyone and pose for selfies even though she was being hustled towards the green room by a staff member.

Mark

• edited January 2018

I have been given some tickets to see Phantom Thread starring Daniel Day Lewis in possibly his last film role. The screening is on the 25th of this month, which is the day before Australia day, and it is one of the first screenings here. The venue is the St.George Open Air Cinema at Mrs. Macquarie's Point overlooking the Sydney Harbour with the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge in view. I haven't been there before so attending this venue should be an experience.
  • It looks like a great experience!
  • Most prominent car auction in US is today, also showing in UK and Canada:

• Great event! Been a few times, as long as the weather holds its even better. 

Wife's cousin works for Hagerty Classic Cars in client relations  and gets to see all these & so many amazing cars up close! He seems to have one of those "dream jobs"!

This Ferrari sold for just over 16 mill!

Six wheels? I've never heard/seen this before! Very cool!

• Very cool but u can't top this. Ultimate "rolling party" sold for $26K yesterday. Yep, can be driven full of water (but not on public streets).

• I am a real man of genius, waited 30 days....
  • Love the Caddy, Mel! What a sweet ride! How cool are the controls mounted on top of the door frame near rear view mirror! 

....can't be driven on public streets.... :D
  • Great event! Been a few times, as long as the weather holds its even better. 

Wife's cousin works for Hagerty Classic Cars in client relations  and gets to see all these & so many amazing cars up close! He seems to have one of those "dream jobs"!

OK, I'll bite.  I initially said Saab Sonett 1, but that's a Sonett 2 front end and the windshield on the 1 was like a Porsche Speedster.

Best guess is Saab Sonett 2 custom with the top chopped off.  I owned an early Sonett 3 for 20 years.  Underappreciated car.
  • Hey Jay,

I'd have no clue what it was, but my wife's cousin Brad travels the country all the time for these exotic cars sales. It's a Sabra Sport 2, made in Israel?! Who would'a thought?! 
    Here's his post on FB. 

One of the neatest things about his job is that about 5 times
    a year he participates in road rallies. And gets to drive classic cars for a week or so! Usually in nice parts of the country. 
  • Drool....not a zillion bucks either....

• Not sure what it is, but it's one of the movies I never tire of watching....

The 4th and final installment of Bogart & Becall. Key Largo. 

• First time. 
  • Big bugger!  

I watched Badlands with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. Great scenery of the southern states.

Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino. Top performances from Pacino and John Cazele.
  • Dog Day Afternoon was entertaining! Pacino is very good!
  • edited February 2018

What can I say about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Wow springs to mind. The performances of Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson  and Sam Rockwell are great with Frances and Sam front runners to win Oscars this year. A brilliant film.

From the excellent to bottom of the barrel celluloid. Manos The Hands Of Fate ( 1966 ) is a film  which was shot around El Paso on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. It was screened theatrically in El Paso, but I doubt it would have received bookings anywhere else. I have seen Plan 9 From Outer Space previously, which was bad, but it was at least entertaining, at times. Honestly Manos The Hands Of Fate is dreadful, and I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about the film .For the record I wish to make it known that I hadn't set out to watch this film and only came across if on pay television whilst changing channels. It was part of a weekly programme showing public domain horror films titled The Schlocky Horror Picture Show hosted by  a talking skeleton named Nigel Honeybone. The Schlocky Horror Picture Showwhich screens on a community run channel on Foxtel. It was so bad I had to keep watching it to see if it would improve, but alas it didn't. The sound was atrocious most of the time. Amateur hour and I rate it 0/10. 

• Nice reviews - I’ll have to watch billboards for sure!

• Journey's End ( 2017 ). Being released this month in the U.K. The R.C. Sherriff pay from which the film is based is brilliant. Over the years I must have seen it on stage four or five times. Top of my list of films to see, if and when it arrives in Australia.
  • Just watched Three Billboards - thanks for wasting my life.
  • Managed to knock off a few movies over the past few weeks.

Brighton Rock

To say I loved it is an understatement.  Wonderful performances...great story and well told.

Birdman

Still not sure how I feel about this one.  Seems alot of who-ha over not too much.  Was expecting more...

Dance Girl Dance

Anything with Maureen O'Hara makes me happy.  Great fun movie.  Nice to see Lucille as the vixen after only ever really seeing her as the nice girl.

Band of Angel

Like but not loved.  This subject matter is always hard for me to watch.  Poitier is the best thing about the film if you askee me.  

• Ant-Man
    So much fun!  Enjoyed this immensely and am looking forward to the sequel.

Not Suitable For Children...
    Little Aussie film.  Nothing special, unoffensive, but can't see myself watching again.
    Goes exactly where you expect it to go, no surprises here.

Looper
    After getting over Levitt's face, really like this one.
    Kinda predictable at the end but enjoyed it for the most part.

Nicholas Nickleby
    Delightful!

Moby Dick
    Clip-Clop...Clip Clop...Clip Clop...
    No surprises here that I enjoyed this one.  Had always seen just bits and pieces over the years, but finally sat and watched the whole thing.  
  • Would like to see Peck as Ahab!

•  Nicely done, but sad as well. Actor who played Ted Kennedy was very good.