Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Smashing the Money Ring vs Over The Wall

theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Ok, so I found this daybill I forgot I had.
On closer inspection the title and cast have been over-printed.
The daybill is actually for an earlier film titled Over The Wall staring Dick Foran from 1938.

Would you leave it as it is, or would you take off the over print and restore it to its real state?  I dunno if that is even possible, it is quite thick paint!

Thoughts?

Comments

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Smashing the Money Ring sure is a much more lurid (and attractive) title!  
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member Posts: 172 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    If it was legitimately rereleased under the second title, it’s part of the film’s history and is a good example of the promotional material in that respect, and I’d leave it. Also, the stuff you eluded to - is it possible, cost, would the poster survive the restoration, etc, all important to consider.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I tried to do this with a valuable poster, and I can tell you the odds are wonderful that the stenciled paint has "bonded" with the paper, and whatever would remove the paint would also remove most of the printing underneath.

Please leave it as it is, and I think it is really cool (and I love how they included part of the ratings area in the stencil)!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,976 admin
    I'd leave as is. It's well done, would have never known (i'm not that familiar with titles; rereleases and all), restoration could be very costly, and agree with Bruce, could turn into a disaster for the paper.

Is a great looking Daybill!
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Thanks everyone.  Hopefully some more Aussie paper on both surfaces one day...
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Ok, so I found this daybill I forgot I had.
    On closer inspection the title and cast have been over-printed.
    The daybill is actually for an earlier film titled Over The Wall staring Dick Foran from 1938.

Would you leave it as it is, or would you take off the over print and restore it to its real state?  I dunno if that is even possible, it is quite thick paint! People looking at this poster at the time of its release in 1930 would have known 

Thoughts?
    Dick Foran in 1938 and 1939 was a huge star in B grade movies. He started his career at Warner Bros. in the mid 1930's appearing as a singing cowboy. Some people looking at this poster in 1939 would have known the image depicted wasn't of Ronald Reagan, but of Dick Foran. Most likely the actress June Travis's image wouldn't have been picked up though at first glance as being incorrectly used. in 1939 in Australia there would have been daybill posters displayed in theatres and around town of both Over The Wall and the same design amended to be another film in Smashing The Money Ring. What we need now is to have an original 1938 daybill of Over The Wall to surface, which would most likely be a longshot to happen, but one never knows.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
     I have an original Australian 1938 newspaper advertisement for Over The Wall, which I am having problems displaying here. I will ask Ves if she would kindly attach the image for me to this thread. Should prove to be of interest.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

An image of a 1938 newspaper advertisement for Over The Wall that Lawrence has forwarded to me, and asked for my help to display it here.
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    You can try a damp Q tip and see if the paint comes off. Some of the NZ censorship is water-based and simply washes away without a trace.
    That said, I would definitely leave the poster as is.