Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Something A Little Different In Advertising For Some Classic Films

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Film poster advertising of any kind has always been hard to find for the original release of The Third Man in Australia.The above daybill image recently surfaced courtesy of Heritage Auctions and is the only poster of this film for the first release that I have ever seen. I just recently  found the above Australian newspaper advertisement published for a screening of the film in 1950 and was impressed by the different film noir look about it and different from any artwork I have ever seen anywhere.

'The Ghost Of Frankenstein' ( 1942 ). Apart from the error in the leaving out of the word 'The' in the title of the film on the daybill, people have often remarked on the appearance of the monster on the daybill being a little odd. A member on this forum once said ''The monster looks a little bit like an overweight Elvis, who is wearing a black turtleneck sweater''. In the above centre Australian newspaper advertisement from 1942 the monster looks like what he should look like and the different tagline 'You Can't Keep A Good Monster Down' is great as well. The advertisement on the right hand side is from another venue in another state, that was also published in 1942. This one using a variation of the 'New thrills' tagline used on the daybill.

Lawrence

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Mmmmmmm...Third Man daybill.  If only my wallet was heavier - sigh-
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited August 2017

Mr. Wong In Chinatown ( 1939 ). The Australian newspaper advertising at the top was partly copied from the two  U.S. images appearing just above, with the exception of the two gangsters image that just seems to have been added for dramatic effect. The Australian daybill has just Marjorie Reynolds image copied from U.S. artwork and the rest of the poster having Boris Karloff wearing glasses and five oriental men appearing at the very top of the poster.

Lawrence
      Daybill.
    Genevieve ( 1953 ). A different approach applied to advertising the film in an advertisement which appeared in a Perth W.A. newspaper when released there in 1954.
    Lawrence

'The Ghost Of Frankenstein' ( 1942 ). Apart from the error in the leaving out of the word 'The' in the title of the film on the daybill, people have often remarked on the appearance of the monster on the daybill being a little odd. A member on this forum once said ''The monster looks a little bit like an overweight Elvis, who is wearing a black turtleneck sweater''. In the above centre Australian newspaper advertisement from 1942 the monster looks like what he should look like and the different tagline 'You Can't Keep A Good Monster Down' is great as well. The advertisement on the right hand side is from another venue in another state, that was also published in 1942. This one using a variation of the 'New thrills' tagline used on the daybill.

Another 1942 Australian newspaper advertisement with Bela Lugosi, missing from the previous newspaper advertisements, now featured with a nice image on this one. I love these old newspaper advertisements and I am hoping others do as well.

Lawrence