Skip to content

Snipes

Comments

• I'm sure I've seen a sniped 3D Amityville III daybill too, but can't find an image at the moment.
  • I only like his Dracula and Frankenstein films, the others didn't appeal. I saw Warhol as he went into a theatre in New York in 1986. A cop on patrol was most excited and pointed him out to me
  • Another addition:

and without:

Image result for hello goodbye daybill
    HG.jpg 35.3K
  • An interesting question is - Was the snipe added here in Australia or for it's release in New Zealand ? Although no New Zealand Censorship rating stamp appears on the image above with the snipe, I have seen posters intended for New Zealand previously without added N.Z. censorship ratings added.
  • edited September 2016
    Usually, I keep the snipes.  It is part of the poster's history.  However, I've picked up a couple this year that I simply had to remove.

This American Graffiti half sheet had a really obnoxious Canadian censor stamp.  The small piece of tape in the lower right peeled off easily, but the big snipe took weeks of careful work.

The snipe on this Kiss Me Kate insert covered part of Howard Keel's head and hand.  When I removed it, I discovered the poster was for the rarer 3-D roadshow release.

I saved the snipe for the history, but still need to finish the cleanup on the background.

• Nice Jay, personally I'd have left the American Graffiti, but done as you with the kiss me Kate... 
  • Cool find with the 3D. 
  • "Dragstrip Riot" one sheet used to advertise "Northville Cemetery Massacre" (1976). How cool is that?

• haha - now that snipe would come off, the poster and the snipe would then be mounted on linen together but separately.
  • ..WoW I actually "like " it as it is.... :)
  • Yeah that's amazing...I would leave as is too
  • Another snipe. The poster's in terrible condition, but the Video Classics reference on the snipe won me over!

• Interesting...

Hotel Cinema?
  • I need to do some more digging, but I believe Hotel Cinema was the name given to the VHS library available for guests to rent during their stay at a hotel. There would be a stack of tapes at reception that could be lent out. I remember seeing them as a kid (but my folks would never rent us any!)
  •  Video Classics ( 1979-1984 ) was  one of the first major Home Video Distributors in Australia, A distributor of independent product that ceased operations in 1984 due to suffering a spectacular financial loss with the sell through of Michael Jackson'sThriller failing. It was as a low margin profit endevour in the early sell through days, that  just didn't work, with 15,000 units being returned. Although the owner Walter Lehne released independent product through Video Classics, he may have also had an agreement with the major Video distributors to handle distribution of their product, including Flying High which has the video Classics logo on the film poster, to the Hotel and Motel circuits.

• Betrayed ( 1954 ). Covering up a covering up.This particular style of snipe was used a lot in the 1950's.

• An American Dream ( 1966 ) original U.S.A. poster, and another two U.S. posters of An American Dream with added film title snipes,altered to the more sensational new title of See You in Hell Darling. The censorship snipe on the last poster may indicate usage outside of America, possibly in New Zealand, but not convinced of this.  

• Side Street ( 1950 ). 

Brigadoon ( 1954 ).

Great examples of why I don't like snipes attached to posters.
  • Oh Orpheum snipes!
    Whomever did that at the cinema back in the day should be shot!
    Many a gorgeous daybill ruined!
  • Love the Cinescope Snipe!!!
  • edited April 2018
    Oh Orpheum snipes!
    Indeed - my Side Street looks JUST like the one on the right :bawling:
  • Oh Orpheum snipes!
    Indeed - my Side Street looks JUST like the one on the right :bawling:
    Yeah, my Houdini was ruined...until Matt got his hands on it!
  • *ahem*

• More less obvious nude cover up on this poster of Sex Life In A Convert, from what I believe is a New Zealand poster with a censorship snipe applied.
  • Canadian snipes are the best....will have to dig up some examples when more time permits.
  • Canadian snipes are the best....will have to dig up some examples when more time permits.
    Is it Canadian and not New Zealand ? The earlier posted See You In Hell Darling / American Dream image in December 2017 had the same censorship snipe also attached to the poster. I had said then ''possibly New Zealand, but not convinced of this.'' I should have looked back at this entry before I commented this time before saying ''from what I believe is a New Zealand poster with a censorship snipe applied.'' You know for sure then Ves that this is Canadian censorship ?

• I'm pretty sure it's Canadian...They have awsome ones...keys, cats...Let me see if I can find...
  • edited May 2018
    Here is an example...

I thought I had one with the RESTRICTED in an image of a cat...but can't find....and you  know, it is me, so I could be completely mis-remembering...
    Carn, you Canadians...jump in here!
  • Found one with the cat on ebay...phew!