Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• edited April 2018

Nicely done, but sad as well. Actor who played Ted Kennedy was very good. 
    He is another Australian actor playing very successfully an American. I am looking forward in seeing the movie when it arrives on our shores. 
  • HONDO said:

Nicely done, but sad as well. Actor who played Ted Kennedy was very good. 
    He is another Australian actor playing very successfully an American. I an looking forward in seeing the movie when it arrives on our shores. 
    Yeah. Clarke acted the part well!
  • As I roll on through the films on my PVR just waiting for me to catch up, next cab off the ranks was this little aussie film, The Little Death:

A collection of couples whom each have their own relationship issues, explored through their sex lives, or in some cases lack there of.  It is was ok, not great, but did have some WTF moments I didn't see coming.
    The scenes with the deaf young man using the voice relay service and the young woman he meets who will relay his call are fabulous.  The highlight of the film for me.

• The Little Death was followed up with another aussie film...of which I had high hopes, The Rover:

Guy Pearce is yet to disappoint me in anything he is in!  I had no preconceived notions of Mr Pattinson as I have never seen (nor do I intend to see) a Twilight film.

This needs a rewatch from me to be totally happy with my effort put in.  I had to keep stop starting because of interruptions, so I think the momentum was lost for me.

Pearce's character has his car stolen, and for reasons we don't get right till the end, he is very attached to that car, and hunts down the culprits through outback Australia.  Pattinson is picked up along the way (initially against his will) as his aid in getting back at the thieves and retrieving his car.
    The relationship the two develop is without doubt what this is all about.  Very interesting dynamics between the two.  Another brutal aussie film...but I seem to be getting used to that!

• The Woman on Pier 13
    Those bloody commies ruin everything.
    Meh, didn't love it, in fact didn't love anything or anyone in it.  

• Black Mass
    With all the crap about him and all the CRAP he has done recently film wise, you forget sometimes how good an actor Depp can actually be.
    I am certainly used to seeing him in the weird and wonderful world of Tim Burton, but this one was new to me.
    I found him very compelling and wonderful to watch as Whitey Bulger.  I knew very little of the actual man and the case, so this one was all new to me.
    I love me a good gangster film and this definately fits into that category.
    Aussie Joel Edgerton was great too.  Good to see him doing so well in Hollywood!
    Highly recommend this one.  A bit violent at times, but what you would expect for this type of movie

Then I managed to suffer through Machete Kills

Gawd I used to love Robert Rodriguez films...They were over the top but funny and witty!
    This was painful to watch, oh so painful to watch.
    I don't think I have seen so many passed their used by date actors in one place at one time.

While his Grindhouse film Planet Terror was an awesome (for me any way) homage to this genre of film, this was just crap, crass and cheesy to the extreme.  I could not find one redeeming feature to this film.
    If you know the franchise you know exactly what you will be getting, but definately a step down from what has come before.

What a shame...I hope he starts making some great movies soon :(
  • Looks like I watch too many movies now...I've gone from one extreme to another!

Next up was her.

Captivating, Joaquin Phoenix was just captivating in this movie.
    Watching his relationship with Samantha, his operating system, grow and he coming the realization of the kind of "relationship" he is in was wonderful.
    With the way the world is going, an interesting look into the not too distant future!

• Hostiles ( 2017 ) is a very violent, but very well told tale of the early American period the film depicts and I highly recommend it. Christian Bale has never been better, Rosamund Pike, who I didn't know before this is excellent, as is of course Wes Studi, whose performance as Magua in The Last Of The Mohicans blew me away when I first saw it years ago. My only very minor criticism is that at times some of the dialogue spoken by a few of the characters is a little hard to understand as to what exactly they are saying. The copy that I viewed was from the U.S.A. as the film doesn't appear to be having a theatrical release, at least at this time, in Australia. I just had to share these poster images with you, particularly the first and the third ones that are, for modern posters, through my eyes at least are impressive. The poster image in between these two show three excellent reviews for the film, although the bottom one is hard to read in this image. It says '' Pike and Bale gave outstanding performances  - among the best this year''.
  • Stuck in 1988 and loving it! Watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Midnight Run with Deniro..love seeing country towns and cafes in the 1980s US!
  • Sven said:
    Stuck in 1988 and loving it! Watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Midnight Run with Deniro..love seeing country towns and cafes in the 1980s US!
    Midnight Run is up there as one of my all time favourite De Niro movies.  Fantastic film!
  • edited April 2018
    Sven said:
    Stuck in 1988 and loving it! Watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Midnight Run with Deniro..love seeing country towns and cafes in the 1980s US!
    Midnight Run is up there as one of my all time favourite De Niro movies.  Fantastic film!
    I love how Deniro is 90% super tough guy and then you get a small glimpse of his vunerability and he opens up with his feelings  yeah fantastic film  :)

• Back to the Aussie Films - Holding the Man

A love story about two men who fall in love at school, and the their lives together (and not).
    Set amongst the backdrop of the AIDS epidemic back in the 90s.  Gosh, I am so glad that is behind us!  
    Certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I did find it moving.
    If this sort of thing is something you find offensive, certainly stay away from this one...
  • HONDO said:

Hostiles ( 2017 ) is a very violent, but very well told tale of the early American period the film depicts and I highly recommend it. Christian Bale has never been better, Rosamund Pike, who I didn't know before this is excellent, as is of course Wes Studi, whose performance as Magua in The Last Of The Mohicans blew me away when I first saw it years ago. My only very minor criticism is that at times some of the dialogue spoken by a few of the characters is a little hard to understand as to what exactly they are saying. The copy that I viewed was from the U.S.A. as the film doesn't appear to be having a theatrical release, at least at this time, in Australia. I just had to share these poster images with you, particularly the first and the third ones that are, for modern posters, through my eyes at least are impressive. The poster image in between these two show three excellent reviews for the film, although the bottom one is hard to read in this image. It says '' Pike and Bale gave outstanding performances  - among the best this year''.
    I agree 110%... This is the best western since Unforgiven IMO.
  • Going to watch it then!
  • Darkest Hours? Anyone seen it? Just brought the DVD.
  • Nope but let us know how it goes Matt
  • The trailer looks great..... let you know tomorrow
  • Cool Matt Enjoy!!
  • Matt said:
    Darkest Hours? Anyone seen it? Just brought the DVD.

It is excellent.
  • Darkest Hour - picked it up a few weeks ago.  Well worth the watch. When I finished, I said that guy (Gary Oldman) should win an Oscar for his performance... ;). Which I then quickly remembered he did!  It was also fascinating to learn that Churchill, if there ever was a competition, would have been the highest functioning alcoholic ever.
  • Never even heard of Hostiles...will have to try and seek it out!

GARY OLDMAN IS AWESOME IN JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

True! Haven't seen him as Churchill, but off hand remember him as Oswald in JFK! So versatile. 
  • Wow, Gary Oldman's performance was brilliant. I was engrossed from start to finish. Finally a film where the special effects cost must of be miniscule and hopefully the actors got a piece of that budget lol.

True! Haven't seen him as Churchill, but off hand remember him as Oswald in JFK! So versatile. 
    Was captivated by his performance in The Professional, and have loved him ever since...
  • Watched Molly’s Game - twice!  Great movie...

• Kiri  the 4 part U.K. television drama series starring the incredibly talented Sarah Lancashire.She was so good in the TV series Happy Valley,  Kiri was fine in the first two parts but fell away in the last two episodes, with a very unsatisfactory ending.

A better outcome was had with the film The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society. The British certainly know how to make realistic dramas better than anyone else does. Lily James seems to be very busy these days. I had only recently saw her in Darkest Hour and at the movie session I attended of the Guernsey film, she was in a preview of a coming attraction for Mama Mia! here We Go Again. Guernsey is highly recommended.
  • HONDO said:

Saw this film at a screening on Monday night and then after the screening participated along with other members of the audience via Skype in a Q & A with the director Matthew Holmes. The film dealt with the latter part of Ben Hall's life, leading up to and including his killing. Made on a low budget, although it doesn't show, by a dedicated director and team the film is very well made and very entertaining and informative. Long in the planning stages leading up to the filming, the director is releasing the film in limited release, wherever he can secure playdates as the major chains weren't interested on a whole in screening it. For those who don't know, Ben Hall was a famous Australian bushranger. An interesting fact was that Ben Hall wasn't personally responsible for any deaths, although other members of his gang were. The three lead actors pictured above were cast as they looked very like the real life characters they portrayed in the film. Recommended.

This is on the telly tonight.  Locked it in for recording but will hopefully be able to give it a watch sooner rather than later.  Looking forward to it.

• Haven't seen the original, but did watch this remake recently.
    Awful.  Terrible.  Don't bother.  Surely Rachel Griffiths can't be that desperate for work... I hope the original is better.

• I was going to say... Rachel Griffiths in a shit flick???
  • Just bought The Shape of Water 4K UHD. By all reports, I won't be disappointed.