Skip to content

Rare Australian Michael Shayne Film Noir Daybill Posters

Dressed To Kill ( 1941 ).

There were seven 20th Century Fox produced films that starred Lloyd Nolan as private detective Michael Shayne. The films were released between 1940 and 1942. The above Dressed To Kill Australian daybill ( printed for New Zealand use without Australian censorship applied ) is rare and is the only one of the seven titles that I have been able to locate a daybill image of. Dressed To Kill is an impressive Marchant produced daybill, so one has to consider the other six, probably Marchant daybills also as they were a preferred printer at that time, to be equally excellent looking posters as well. Does anyone own any of the other six film posters, or have ever sighted any of them? The six titles are Michael Shayne Private Detective ( 1940 ), Sleepers West ( 1941 ), Blue, White And Perfect ( 1942 ), The Man Who Wouldn't Die ( 1942), Just Off Broadway ( 1942 ) and Time To Kill ( 1942 ), Anywhere between one to three of the titles were probably long daybills. I included the original U.S. insert above for comparison purposes and it trails behind in the wake of the daybill. Interestingly Sheila Ryan appears on the daybill whilst Mary Beth Hughes features on the insert and other U.S. paper.The U.S. one sheet was printed in colour, but not the insert and the lobby cards

Comments

• Queue Chris...
  • Queue Chris...
    I believe I just have the one (adapted from Raymond Chandler's "The High Window" of course)...

1942 - Time to Kill 

• edited April 2018

Thanks Chris for the image. Once I looked at it I remembered I had an image somewhere of the title. After some searching through my images I found it. Would the following image be of your poster as well, or perhaps would it be another one copy from the same original stored collection your poster may have originated from?

• Hi Lawrence - yes I am pretty confident it is the same poster pictured (and the only one I have seen)

• The Time To Kill ( 1942 ) daybill has the central image that appears on the original U.S. insert. This is unlike the Dressed To Kill dayill, that is completely different from the U.S. insert in design.

• U.S.A. inserts for the remaining  Michael Shayne titles listed previously that we still don't have any daybill images of.
  • I would love to see a Daybill for Sleepers West! The one sheet is cool; if slightly odd with the box of portraits. 

• Australian daybill and U.S.A. insert posters.

Bruce is currently auctioning the above Just Off Broadway daybill. Great image of Lloyd Nolan and I must say that I prefer the daybill image to the insert image. We now have Australian daybill images for three out of the seven Michael Shayne 20th Century Fox titles that were made.

The remaining four titles still missing daybill images.

• Not so sure the Just Off Broadway DB is better than the Insert. DB looks kinda washed out and artwork kinda cheesy.

I'm guessing the seasoned collector would prefer the Insert with its clean, crisp photo images.

• Not mine but found a pic of a missing one:

• Noir junk. Rip that out and replace it with something decent like a Star Wars daybill!
  • Mark said:
    Noir junk. Rip that out and replace it with something decent like a Star Wars daybill!
     :D  :D:D
  • Not mine but found a pic of a missing one:

A big thank you to Chris for posting the previously missing Blue White And Perfect daybill image.

Four of the seven Michael Shayne images are now on display, leaving only three images to be located.

The following U.S.A. insert images for Michael Shayne Private Detective, Sleepers West and The Man Who Wouldn't Die are the three images of the missing titles that I would like to see the Australian daybill versions of.

• Here's another one for the files - long daybill for Sleepers West.

• That’s a great one - thanks for sharing!

• Yes indeed it is a great poster. Excellent work in locating it. Typical example of the style of artwork  W.E. Smith used for their 20th Century Fox daybill posters in the 1940s.

What I do find interesting though is seeing the story is set aboard a train the image of the train is seen at the very bottom of the poster in a only very small image. The below U.S.A. insert poster, along with other american posters feature the train more prominently on their posters output.

Only two more images to find now for Michael Shayne Private Detective and The Man Who Wouldn't Die.
  • darolo said:
    Here's another one for the files - long daybill for Sleepers West.

Me want this one!  Gorgeous