Skip to content

Yet Another Forum?

edited June 2014 in Everything Random!
OK, kinda of funny really; the topic as most know was started in APF by a member who in recent days has upped and left. That same member had actually tried to start another forum himself previously with yours truly and a couple of others from here, but I guess we all couldn't agree on the format etc so we all ended up doing our own thing...well more to the point, we did ourthing he didn't do anything.

Anway, the above topic and some of the comments therein were quite scathing of those of us who had started this forum, and so be it, but I see that Mel has now started his own, in fact a Facebook Group: http://goo.gl/RaxkH1 (just in case anyone wants to be nosey).

Personally I have always been a one forum kinda of guy, but with FB I struggle to keep up with what I already am a part of; I have my own personal page (http://goo.gl/HpDuC4), I am also a member of this forum's own FB page (http://goo.gl/AaBY2N) and I run my own Movie Poster FB Page (http://goo.gl/xUxl2M) with a few followers to keep me occupied. 

The problem with FB is Facebook tends to be more an homage to and/or the latest news from type bulletin board rather than being able to maintain a variety of threads and topics in a searchable or readable format. 

But good luck to him...

Wonder if this topic will be copied elsewhere very shortly (we know you are watching...hehe) :)>-

Comments

• I'm sure it will be spoken about in one way or another.
  • I think what just annoys the crap out of me is that he's going it alone. I told him to drop by here and he said no. Yet he gave me a big lecture on splitting from the forum and how it would further fracture us.
  • What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
  • David said:
    What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
    You mean bruce & rich pub fights..
  • I post here about my current auctions (once or twice per set) because you seem to want me to. If I am wrong, say the word and I won't post about them at all. I am easy to get along with, and I won't be offended if my posts about my auctions are not wanted!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Incidentally, I posted about Mel's new forum on APF, and gave you full credit David. I wonder if it will stay up.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Well it didn't last long...
  • To each their own and the choices they make in life. 
  • I post here about my current auctions (once or twice per set) because you seem to want me to. If I am wrong, say the word and I won't post about them at all. I am easy to get along with, and I won't be offended if my posts about my auctions are not wanted!
    You so crazy!  Of course we want you here posting auctions etc. not only to be reminded about them but with the hope you'll chime in on other topics like the restorer family tree or authentication threads when you are here...
  • Charlie, do you mind asking UncleMel next time you speak with him what he meant when he typed the following “Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum”.  Now, I can’t see what he created over there since I don’t use Facebook. For all I know he could’ve gone off and formed the Church of M-e-l.
  • Charlie, do you mind asking UncleMel next time you speak with him what he meant when he typed the following “Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum”.  Now, I can’t see what he created over there since I don’t use Facebook. For all I know he could’ve gone off and formed the Church of M-e-l.
    8-}

This is the quote that I remember and why I find my self just totally fucking annoyed with what he's trying to do.  The other feeling is pity because I think he will find himself alone now and having to build a new set of contacts.  He wants me to post stuff and I just don't have the energy to keep up with it.  Besides facebooks seems so flaky in terms of organization and permanence.  He posted some 1000 images - if you've ever flipped through someones facebook album, after about 15 pictures I feel like gouging my eyes out. click, click, click...  

Church of M-e-l,  too funny!
  • Are you serious? He wants you to post over at his church, but patently refuses to post on your forum?  
  • OK I sent him a PM...
  • edited June 2014
    Incidentally, I posted about Mel's new forum on APF, and gave you full credit David. I wonder if it will stay up.
    Well there's your problem...you mentioned me and Mel in the same sentence. lol  :D

Still, looks like all this newness elsewhere means a new broom is sweeping through APF, other than continuing to bump very old posts there is renewed push for their FB page (watch out M.e.l) and now a banner has been added to the forum site, psssst it's kinda obvious boys...

David said:
    What's there to fracture...it's a bunch of people going to their local pub for a regular catch up, with the added bonus that both Bruce and Rich come in and flash us all once a week.
    You mean bruce & rich pub fights..
    Hasn't been one here and can't see it ever happening, so not technically a true statement
  • edited June 2014
    Church of M e l. 

.=))

I can picture him preaching..

• Did you see where T basically said Mel is not welcome at APF anymore.

• edited June 2014
    Yup, he sounded pissed off.

• Are you serious? He wants you to post over at his church, but patently refuses to post on your forum?  
    Yep, I told him I couldn't, but that if he wanted to go through a few days/weeks of hell over here, he was welcome.  But I am not sure if he could adhere to the outing policy.  he already outed an auction on his facebook page.
  • Matt said:

I think killing the links was a bitch move.  However, when I got banned I pulled mine but then reinstated them once I chatted with H.  I was so fucking pissed getting banned... But if you think about it with these forums, you are building somewhat of an online legacy - like the linenbacking thread.  If you take the images away it doesn't make sense.  Not to mention authentication and other efforts - without the images they are often worthless.

One day I hope for some newbie to ask - "Who was this Charlie guy that got banned?"  I think by not burning that bridge the answer will be somewhat positive.

Now put Mel in there: "Who was this Mel guy that left and deleted all his images?"  - Oh some punk bitch who started a poster religion on facebook.
  • You know I was wondering...

Mel had 7,000+ posts
    I had 4,000+ posts
    David has 4000+ posts
    Mat had ? probably 3000+?

That's like that is 18,000 posts...  Probably comes out to around 16 posts/day.  That's ~480 a month - 5,760 a year...

Last year there were 32000 posts...

Us four accounted for 18% of the posts on APF.  If you toss out all the dealer posts that percentage climbs significantly.  

• edited June 2014
    Charlie said:
    Matt said:

I think killing the links was a bitch move.  However, when I got banned I pulled mine but then reinstated them once I chatted with H.  I was so fucking pissed getting banned... But if you think about it with these forums, you are building somewhat of an online legacy - like the linenbacking thread.  If you take the images away it doesn't make sense.  Not to mention authentication and other efforts - without the images they are often worthless.

One day I hope for some newbie to ask - "Who was this Charlie guy that got banned?"  I think by not burning that bridge the answer will be somewhat positive.

Now put Mel in there: "Who was this Mel guy that left and deleted all his images?"  - Oh some punk bitch who started a poster religion on facebook.
    I simply doubt people research that far back, to quote our beloved Prime Minister, forums aren't "a suppository of knowledge" (or are they?), If Mel and others remove their images etc does it matter? Not really, the current people will keep it current all else is just for a few who care to dig. 

Once gone is gone, it's just a hobby with personalities in it, it's not like we are curing cancer or anything, others will come and fill the space, so be it, in the future they may sing sea shanties over there about M.e.l (or even a hymn of two), but like H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time. Do I care?  No, my legacy will not be about the posters I have collected or the intelligent/dumbass things I have said in a forum.
  • edited June 2014
    Charlie said:
    Did you see where T basically said Mel is not welcome at APF anymore.

Account is still alive...maybe he is welcome but through the servant's entrance?
  • David said:
    Charlie said:
    Matt said:

I simply doubt people research that far back, to quote our beloved Prime Minister, forums aren't "a suppository of knowledge" (or are they?), If Mel and others remove their images etc does it matter? Not really, the current people will keep it current all else is just for a few who care to dig. 

Once gone is gone, it's just a hobby with personalities in it, it's not like we are curing cancer or anything, others will come and fill the space, so be it, in the future they may sing sea shanties over there about M.e.l (or even a hymn of two), but like H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time. Do I care?  No, my legacy will not be about the posters I have collected or the intelligent/dumbass things I have said in a forum.
    Well that's a bummer.  Fuck it!  I quit.

(until I get back to the house)
  • I read the small print...
  • "H said he, like all of us will be long forgotten in time"

How long before I am gone before they say "Bruce who?"

:))

• edited June 2014
    I guess it's not about being well remembered after you're gone but being well thought of while you're still around...and, as long as it is by the people that matter to you then that's all that should be important.
  • edited June 2014
    Newbies might not care, but I think the people you've dealt with over the course of your time online will.  I think the final stretch is meeting up at some point in person like they do at cinevent etc...  For example Susan Olson all those people on NS4 gave her a fine tribute when she passed.  If I manage to stay in the hobby long enough, I think that is a fitting end for collectors like us.  Same for you Bruce - that is all we can ask.  Did we ever touch someone's life.  I think your covered B.  

Of course guys (since I am so much younger) if you write me into your will, I will remember you 4ever! lol

I hear Cinevent is shit now, maybe it's time for a new show somewhere else.  Like the Gold Coast Down Under...
  • Really a shame. I go to these places for relaxation and entertainment. I have no desire to present my passport at each armed camp in order to read posts about how all the other forums are full of bitchy little girls. At this point I see all the forums as dead or dying.
  • Hey I had over 3000 posts too.... And don't forget, I was the pioneering quitter of APF, bringing a change of life to all those other forum quitters that followed

• edited June 2014
    jayn_j said:
    Really a shame. I go to these places for relaxation and entertainment. I have no desire to present my passport at each armed camp in order to read posts about how all the other forums are full of bitchy little girls. At this point I see all the forums as dead or dying.
    Perhaps. But name a social gathering anywhere in the world (online or otherwise) where people don't have disagreements...