Skip to content

Recent hangings...

Comments

• Very true! However, since we live in the age of smartphones and access to the internet almost anywhere, I may violate policy just a wee bit and surf at work. Shhhhh, don’t tell the supervisors!
    Matter of fact, there’s a BIN that’s on my watch list, but payday is tomorrow, so hopefully it’ll still be there! :)
  • Good luck Matt on that BIN! 
  • Thanks! I’m feeling optimistic. The good thing about the poster hobby is that with the amount of decades and genres there are, the less people that will share my (questionable) tastes. Not the MOST sound logic, but I’m sure you understand. It’s a pretty pedestrian poster, but it’s up my alley. :)
  • More great hangings Rocky baby!
  • Caravan is nice, Rock! Colors & design remind me of 30's. Early riser? Carpe Diem!!!  :)
  • A Sunday evening (or Monday morning for those on the other side of the globe, in the upside down) entry in the world of recent hangings. I had to puzzle with this one for a bit to figure out the measurements of the matting, and even had to carefully re-cut more from the top and bottom, but I think it turned out okay. There's still a few centimeters of the missing corner visible, but that is what it is. As always, sorry about the reflections and the craptastic photo. Project X half sheet:

project x framed

:)
  • Looks great Matt! The Matboard color is a great match to the dress! 
  • Sven said:
    Looks great Matt! The Matboard color is a great match to the dress! 
    Agreed!  :)
  • Thanks, guys. Now if I only had more wall space! :)
  • That looks so perty!
    Inspired to swap out the last four frames at my place tomorrow!
    Watch out frames, here come some of Mark's posters!
  • Surprise, surprise, it's me again! Nothing life changing, just an update on the pressbook framing project(s):

framed pressbooks

:)
  • Nice, something different to spice up the walls.
  • Has anyone tried just sandwiching a poster between two sheets of acrylic (UV reflective at the front etc.)?

With a mass of wall space to fill and having bloody expensive framers in NZ, I'm thinking about switching to a basic display system that allows me to routinely switch the content with ease.

I know we're often told not to let the poster touch the front acrylic/glass etc. but custom framing is ludicrously for high in kiwi land.

For instance locally my Ivanhoe 3 Sheet is just over 3k for conservation framing, one sheets 600 etc. Obviously certain pieces (like Ivanhoe) I'll gladly pay through the nose for piece of mind, but for lesser titles I'm reluctant to do so.

I've looked at the two frequently recommended US suppliers of frames (Hollywood etc.), however sadly the shipping and import fees cancel out the savings.

Any thoughts (on the acrylic sandwich/press method) would be much appreciated :) 

My plan was a 4mm white acrylic back and UV resistant clear front. Clamped in the four corners for Daybills and below. With additional clamps to the central edges for one sheets. 
  • On that note I've also got my SW 3 Sheet returning from Studio C next week (although after being missing in action at LA customs since the 6th May I've no idea what will actually be in the tube - if anything)

So my framer is likely to go on an expensive holiday very shortly!!  :|
  • edited June 2018
    Good luck Wil...hopefully no major dramas with the tube.

I FINALLY got my butt up and swapped out the last lot of daybills...only a month or so late for me...pretty good really!

• edited June 2018
    Thanks Ves,

So do you hinge your Daybills behind the mats or tape them down in the corners?

Also were they locally made frames or did they come from the States?

• Has anyone tried just sandwiching a poster between two sheets of acrylic (UV reflective at the front etc.)?

With a mass of wall space to fill and having bloody expensive framers in NZ, I'm thinking about switching to a basic display system that allows me to routinely switch the content with ease.

I know we're often told not to let the poster touch the front acrylic/glass etc. but custom framing is ludicrously for high in kiwi land.

For instance locally my Ivanhoe 3 Sheet is just over 3k for conservation framing, one sheets 600 etc. Obviously certain pieces (like Ivanhoe) I'll gladly pay through the nose for piece of mind, but for lesser titles I'm reluctant to do so.

I've looked at the two frequently recommended US suppliers of frames (Hollywood etc.), however sadly the shipping and import fees cancel out the savings.

Any thoughts (on the acrylic sandwich/press method) would be much appreciated :) 

My plan was a 4mm white acrylic back and UV resistant clear front. Clamped in the four corners for Daybills and below. With additional clamps to the central edges for one sheets. 
    Missed this bit!
    3K!  FARK.  
    Is it more reasonable if you don't do conservation grade?
    I only have 4 frames in the house which have the posters permanently in them and even they are not archival...all posters were backed though.  Nothing worth ridiculous money.
    Every other poster is just regular glass and foamcore backing so I can swap out myself.
    Anything not backed goes in a mylar sleeve first before it goes in the frame.
    Takes me about 5 mins per frame to swap out...

My concern with the sandwhiching method would be wouldn't the poster slip?  No matter how much you clamp I can forsee movement.
  • Good luck Wil...hopefully no major dramas with the tube.

I FINALLY got my butt up and swapped out the last lot of daybills...only a month or so late for me...pretty good really!

Ooooh nice hanging system, just started doing the same myself.

Missed this bit!
    3K!  FARK.  

My concern with the sandwhiching method would be wouldn't the poster slip?  No matter how much you clamp I can forsee movement.
    FARK was close to my response :) 

yes about 2k without the UV/Conservation backing. Sadly I live in a glass box, so the walls get hammered all day (even with sun screens down).

yes the movement risk is worrying, however there's surely not much weight to a daybill, so surely if the acrylic is thick enough and not too oversized, it could work?
  • Thanks Ves,

So do you hinge your Daybills behind the mats or tape them down in the corners?

Also were they locally made frames or did they come from the States?

Nah, nothing special about my frames...just stock standard...not taped down in the back.
    I just flip the nails or whatever they called on the back and remove the foamcore.

Anything backed is stuck to the matt using cloth tape just to the top corners and anything unbacked goes into mylar first then the same.

Granted eventually the nails will break and I will have to replace, as will the Matt get ruined, but after 12 years I am still going strong with every original frame.

All frames were locally made and if I recall correctly the lot INCLUDING the gallery hanging system installed was well under 10k.
    I've got about 30-35 frames up in the house which I did all at once and of varying sizes from daybills through to 2 panels.
    I spent a bit extra on the big ones to incorporate plexi instead of glass, but that was more about weight...

I think people over freak out.  Sure if you are going to keep in the frame forever like your Ivanhoe, I would probably spend a bit more too to keep him safe, but 3K seems excessive.  A

Maybe you need to shop around a bit?

yes the movement risk is worrying, however there's surely not much weight to a daybill, so surely if the acrylic is thick enough and not too oversized, it could work?
    I still reckon gravity would do its bit.  You could always just try one and see how it goes first before you do them all?

If the house is flooded with sunlight all day how do the posters fair even with conservation backing/acrylic?

And the gallery system is the best, THE BEST...don't you just love it!
  • I reckon rock and his super duper DIY framing skills has it just right! :)

• 1. Anything backed is stuck to the matt using cloth tape just to the top corners and anything unbacked goes into mylar first then the same.

2. 3K seems excessive. Maybe you need to shop around a bit?

3. If the house is flooded with sunlight all day how do the posters fair even with conservation backing/acrylic?

4. And the gallery system is the best, THE BEST...don't you just love it!
    1. I'm tempted to follow suit and get a selection of varying sized matts to swap out. We're the Mylars also sourced locally? I've only seen US sized ones about? Also does the Mylar combined with the glass create a double reflection? 

2. Sadly I've had a few posters ruined by local (cleaper) framers, so went with the guys who do all the major NZ art Galleries. Pricey but didn't fancy having King Baggot (Ivanhoe) glued or trimmed. My Star Wars 3 sheet (if it survived) will have to be a cheaper option).

3. To be honest they do ok, although I am continuing paranoid about it and spend sunny days continually playing with the blinds! That said we only moved in 8 weeks ago  ;)

4. You're damn right!!  B) I've got 25m up along with a bag of clear drops and heavy duty hooks to play with these coming months!
    True! I'm tempted to do a framing course and hook into it myself. Plenty of acrylic and framing suppliers locally to save a small fortune.
  • Bear in mind that's 3000NZD, so approx 10 Aussie and one USD!  =)
    3K!  FARK.  
  • Nu

1. Anything backed is stuck to the matt using cloth tape just to the top corners and anything unbacked goes into mylar first then the same.

2. 3K seems excessive. Maybe you need to shop around a bit?

3. If the house is flooded with sunlight all day how do the posters fair even with conservation backing/acrylic?

4. And the gallery system is the best, THE BEST...don't you just love it!
    1. I'm tempted to follow suit and get a selection of varying sized matts to swap out. We're the Mylars also sourced locally? I've only seen US sized ones about? Also does the Mylar combined with the glass create a double reflection? 

2. Sadly I've had a few posters ruined by local (cleaper) framers, so went with the guys who do all the major NZ art Galleries. Pricey but didn't fancy having King Baggot (Ivanhoe) glued or trimmed. My Star Wars 3 sheet (if it survived) will have to be a cheaper option).

3. To be honest they do ok, although I am continuing paranoid about it and spend sunny days continually playing with the blinds! That said we only moved in 8 weeks ago  ;)

4. You're damn right!!  B) I've got 25m up along with a bag of clear drops and heavy duty hooks to play with these coming months!
    Dont give the framers the posters...just give them the dimensions...or if you have to, give em some crappy ones the same size where it doesnt matter if they fark it up...
  • Bear in mind that's 3000NZD, so approx 10 Aussie and one USD!  =)
    3K!  FARK.  
    HA!  =)
  • Good luck Wil...hopefully no major dramas with the tube.

Nice looking Daybills, Ves! 
    True! I'm tempted to do a framing course and hook into it myself. Plenty of acrylic and framing suppliers locally to save a small fortune.
    I would love to be able to complete the circle and frame myself with local supplies! Just need to find the system & supplies! I know @David found the skills.