Skip to content

Hondo's This And That

Comments

• I thought one of the guys on this forum had a one sheet for It Came but I might be getting confused with Beast from 20,000 Fathoms...
  • edited April 2018

I have images for some other rare Australian one sheets that I haven't listed, that sold at the Hayden Auction. If enough people are interested I will include them here in the future.Let me know if you are interested ? A couple to wet your appetite.

The Incredible Shrinking Man & The Spiral Staircase Australian one sheets.

• edited April 2018
    Pictures?  I'm always interested  =)
  • HONDO said:

For the following Australian one sheet titles listed earlier on from the Hayden auction, I haven't been able to locate any images for any of these now or in the past.

King Kong ( 1952 RR )
    Lifeboat
    Superman's Peril
    Gorgo
    The Ziegfeld Girl
    The Barkley's Of Broadway
    It Came From Beneath The Sea
    Into The Straight
    Beyond The Forest

Located a King Kong ( RR 1952 ) Australian one sheet image.
  • Well then - thanks Lawrence!  And yes please post more pics :)
  • Lawrence - is there any indication the To Have and Have Not one sheet came from this auction with the others?  I ask as it is the only one I have seen and it did originally come from Heritage (I managed to purchase it from the original buyer):

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/romance/to-have-and-have-not-warner-brothers-1944-australian-one-sheet-28-x-40-/a/665-28891.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

• Always Another Damn Australian One Sheet

Fixed it for you  =)
  • Lawrence - is there any indication the To Have and Have Not one sheet came from this auction with the others?  I ask as it is the only one I have seen and it did originally come from Heritage (I managed to purchase it from the original buyer):

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/romance/to-have-and-have-not-warner-brothers-1944-australian-one-sheet-28-x-40-/a/665-28891.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Yes it did come from the auction. You are a lucky boy as you may possibly have the only copy known to man at this point of time.  

CSM_2_Point_0 said:

Well then - thanks Lawrence!  And yes please post more pics :)
    More shortly including a rare daybill image.
  • Fantastic king Kong image Lawrence! 

Yes more more....please!
  • jayn_j said:
    Always Another Damn Australian One Sheet

Fixed it for you  =)
    HAHAHAHAHAHA...sorry Jay...can't help what I am passionate about.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

For the following Australian one sheet titles listed earlier on from the Hayden auction, I haven't been able to locate any images for any of these now or in the past.

King Kong ( 1952 RR )
    Lifeboat
    Superman's Peril
    Gorgo
    The Ziegfeld Girl
    The Barkley's Of Broadway
    It Came From Beneath The Sea
    Into The Straight
    Beyond The Forest

Located a King Kong ( RR 1952 ) Australian one sheet image.
    Nice!  I've never seen that before!
  • How about a new thread for "Only known copies"? Everyone wants to be in that.

• Joan Of Arc one sheet and a Giant daybill. Two more titles from the auction.

Rare '' A long time ago in the Galaxy far far away'' soon.

Something of interest is that none of the Australian one sheets and daybills in the calologue are  listed with any poster style mentioned . The House Of Wax ( 1953 ) one sheet image appeared at first glance looking at the small dark image to have been an Australian one sheet, but on closer inspection it happens to be a U.S.A. one sheet. There are at least two other images of one sheets that are original American paper.

Mark said:
    How about a new thread for "Only known copies"? Everyone wants to be in that.
    Sounds o.k. but a lot of previously presented images on this thread and many other threads will have to be presented again and that is a lot of work. Are you volunteering to kick off the new thread Mark? I would consider possibly starting it up but I am happy for someone else doing it. Thoughts?
  • I don't mind starting it. Will just be an ongoing thread that people can add to (if they're confident enough)!

• Star Wars ( 1977 ) and The Animal World ( 1956 ) Australian one sheets images for items sold in the Hayden Auction. There are two versions of Star Wars one sheets  and both versions  were included in the auction, but the above one is the poster version that is fare.
  • HONDO said:
    Mark said:
    The fellow also had a framed db for The Frightened City '62 that I've never seen before. Similar art to Brit Quad with handgun featured. Would fit nicely into Chris's home decor!

PICTURES

Mark said:
    Stored only in my mind!!

The Frightened City ( 1961 U.K. ). As Mark mentioned the Australian daybill is similar to the British quad. The Australian daybill image is rare and I could't find it on Google today. I then checked my images and found the above daybill image, and although it is from Bruce it isn't listed on his website. I am thinking I sourced if from a bulk lot in the past that Bruce sold, judging from the eMovieposter. Com branding. Maybe Bruce will confirm if this is correct?

Bruce hopefully will get to see this.

•  The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms ( 1953 ) and Curse Of The Demon ( 1957 ) Australian one sheets auctioned at the Hayden auction. Interestingly in Australia the U.S.A. title was also used here when released. In this case breaking from the usual tradition of using of the original U.K. title for British films when they were released here. The original U.K.title was Night Of The Demon. 
  • HONDO said:

The Frightened City ( 1961 U.K. ). As Mark mentioned the Australian daybill is similar to the British quad. The Australian daybill image is rare and I could't find it on Google today. I then checked my images and found the above daybill image, and although it is from Bruce it isn't listed on his website. I am thinking I sourced if from a bulk lot in the past that Bruce sold, judging from the eMovieposter. Com branding. Maybe Bruce will confirm if this is correct?

I asked Matt to drop what he was doing and find this, and he did, and he emailed it to Lawrence. Nothing is too good for the man who singlehandedly keeps this forum alive!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• HONDO said:
    Mark said:
    The fellow also had a framed db for The Frightened City '62 that I've never seen before. Similar art to Brit Quad with handgun featured. Would fit nicely into Chris's home deco

Matt ( for Bruce ) has gotten back to me and confirmed my reasoning for the non appearance of this image on the site, which is that it is due to the fact that it was included in a bulk lot when auctioned. What I did to collect an image originally was to isolate and copy the image during the auction period that it was being auctioned in.
  • Bruce said:
    HONDO said:

I asked Matt to drop what he was doing and find this, and he did, and he emailed it to Lawrence. Nothing is too good for the man who singlehandedly keeps this forum alive!
    A little confusion regarding my original request, ( see my entry above this ), but all is good and sorted out now.  Thanks Bruce for your kind words, and cracking the whip over Matt to give priority to helping me out. I have personally thanked him as well.
  • HONDO said:
     DAYBILL  U.S. ONE SHEET

Mr. Dynamite ( 1941 ). The above daybill appears to have been a stock poster, with images from another film or films  attached to this poster. 

I originally displayed the above on April 17. To date not a single comment.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone if they agree or disagree with this ?

• I didn't realise this was a question.  I thought it was a statement of fact, with which I concur :)

• Original Australian Dawn Of The Dead ( 1978 ) one sheet poster.

Australian printed version printed for N.Z. distribution, without the Australian R in a triangle rating printed on it. Detailed N.Z. snipe added at bottom of the poster.

Another interesting poster that appears to be from a different printing session different from either of the above. At first glace it appears the N.Z. censorship snipe if just covering up the Australian censorship rating as it appears in the above first displayed image. On further viewing you can see that the snipe is higher up the poster and further away from the ear from where the original placement of the Australian R rating appeared. This raises in my mind many questions regarding the origin of this last poster.

• It's not just a bad photo with different colouring from the other because of that?
  • edited April 2018
    It's not just a bad photo with different colouring from the other because of that?

Nice thinking Ves. One of my original thoughts was that the top image appears to have the Robert Burton printer's credit printed almost directly underneath the poster edge, whereas with the other two there is some blank space before the name was printed. On checking many other versions of this poster they show that the printer's name is the same distance in as the other two are, thus making all three the same, leaving the first poster image a little misleading. I now believe the third poster rules out the covering over of an Australian used poster with the original R rating, and that it is an Australian poster produced for N.Z. without a rating, with the R18 snipe with the added writing, coincidentally being applied and positioned not far from where the Australian rating originally appeared on the Aussie version.

•      

A rare 3D screening in Australia advertisement placed for The Stranger Wore A Gun ( 1953 ), which played at the Capitol Theatre in Perth, W.A. in January 1954. The film mainly played in 2D in Australia. i cannot find a daybill, one sheet of a 3 sheet that was printed for this film in Australia. Does anyone have paper for any of the three sizes. ?

The original with and without 3D mentioned produced U.S. insert posters for The Stranger Wore A Gun.

According to Wikipedia there were 53 produced 3D films in the 1950's. Not many of these were screened in 3D in Australia.The only poster images that I have been able to locate for a film released in Australia in 3D, and with advertising 3D on it, is for House Of Wax ( 1953 ). This film had 2 posters printed aimed at both 3D and 2D screenings. I have never seen any similar examples, but were there any others with 3D credited on a second poster ?  
    Another thing is that the normal non credited 3D poster of House Of Wax is very rare, whereas the 3D version daybill has been available over the years. I am wondering if this because Warner Bros. printed the 3D poster and they received only a small amount of bookings in 3D, leaving a surplus of posters in storage which ended up years later in the marketplace ?

• Mr. Topaze ( 1961 ). This is an interesting one sheet poster. There are no printer's credits whatsoever appearing at the bottom of the poster. As the poster has an Australian censorship rating appearing on it, one would assume it then to be an Australian printed poster. The problem here is that the poster also has the U.K. censorship 'U' rating printed on the poster as well, following after the letter E in Mr. Topaze. Why then are the two countries different countries censorship ratings appearing on the poster ? My answer is that the Australian poster artist copied the artwork from original U.K. quad pictured below, fell asleep at the wheel and incorrectly copied the U.K. classification.

• Fascinating information as this article is from an Australian newspaper dated 10 September 1930. It states ''...  that of the 1200 picture theatres in the state 400 were equipped with talking apparatus.'' This meant 2 / 3 of the theatres, a couple of years or so after sound was introduced in Australia were still screening only silent films. Australia was slow in changing over to sound and The Jazz Singer ( 1927 ) was the first film with sound to be screened in Australia, and this only occurred  on the 2nd of February 1929 at the Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne. I have in the past sighted some Australian one sheets from around 1930 of sound films, that were stamped on the poster with the word silent appearing on the bottom of the posters. Through mid 1930 the majority of Hollywood movies were produced in dual versions.

From the collection of Melbourne Athenaeum archives.

• Hi Hondo, does San Ferry Ann have any connection to Genevieve? I ask as the daybill has a similar car crazy theme

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5053442

• Sven said:
    Hi Hondo, does San Ferry Ann have any connection to Genevieve? I ask as the daybill has a similar car crazy theme

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5053442

Not Genevieve, but inspired by The Fast Lady ( 1962 ) daybill and other unrelated material from other film /  films,  or even just from the mind of the artist. A terrible mishmash of a poster where apparently the Australian poster artist had no original U.K. material of San Ferry Ann ( 1965 ) at hand to copy from. None of the four actors that appeared in The Fast Lady acted in San Ferry Ann ( 1965 ), and most unlikely the running chicken, fireman's helmet man on ladder against a house with a cow hanging out of the window were in the film. San Ferry Ann is an obscure short 55 minute British film with no spoken dialogue. Original film posters from anywhere in the World are almost impossible to find. Bruce only has two Italian posters residing in his archives, a 1p and a 2p, with this one appearing below. The title and the three actors names appearing on the daybill appear to be the only correct information appearing on the daybill.The taglines at the top are inaccurate in the wording  as well I believe. As mentioned earlier a terrible mishmash of a poster, originating from Robert Burton, and one of the worse examples I have seen of creating a poster from nothing. The following Italian poster shows what the actual film content looks like.