Skip to content

Australia At War Posters.

edited May 2018 in Everything Random!

World War 1 Australian Anti-Conscription poster from 1916. Two Conscription referendums were  held in 1916 and 1917 and  both were defeated,

World War 11 poster - self explanatory.

World War 1 Australian recruiting poster printed by W.E.Smith in 1918. An early example of W.E. Smith's work.

Sons Of The Anzacs ( 1943 ) Australian World War 11 documentary film poster.The image is courtesy of the Australan War Memorial. For years this image wasn't available on their website to view. I contacted them in 2017 and they informed me that they would place my request for image in a queue of images to be photographed. On the 29th of October 2017, I was informed by them that it was now available to view on their website. Many thanks for the AWR doing this.

Previously displayed elsewhere on this website by John was this original booklet.

Comments

•  :o   Wowee...some beautiful posters!
  • Great stuff especially this one =)

• Pretty out there for a vintage advertisement!!
  • Sven said:
    Pretty out there for a vintage advertisement!!
    Perhaps only displayed in men's toilets and the like.

• HONDO said:

World War 1 Australian recruiting poster printed by W.E.Smith in 1918. An early example of W.E. Smith's work.

Nice Lawrence!

• edited May 2018

The Rats Of Tobruk ( 1944 ) Australian daybill printed by Simmons.
    Always Another Dawn ( 1948 ) Australian one sheet.
    The Power And The Glory ( 1941 ) Advertising material.
    The Exploits Of The Emden ( 1928 ). Souvenir program.
    The Exploits Of The Emden ( 1928 ). Glass slide. Wynne W. Davies was the artist who designed the image.

Rare Australian World War 11 and World War 1 featured motion pictures 

• The Rats of Tobruk is stunning! 

• A couple more from World War 11.

• We Of The A.I.F. ( 1939 ) poster printed by Victory Publicity Litho. This poster was printed for the 35mm 1939 documentaty feature film which ran 129 min. 39 sec., and was produced by the Australian War Memorial. The film covers the Great War ( 1914-1918 ) and  Australian troops involvement. The film was completed before the outbreak of the second World War and was screened from 1939 onwards widely throughout Australia as a morale booster after Australia had entered  WW11.

A 1941 Australian film advertisement with the poster image used.

A different style advertisement from a Newcastle N.S.W. newspaper placed for the film's one week run commencing on November 15, 1940. A kind lady from Trove supplied me with this image.

Just one image from the footage that had been sitting in vaults for 20 years that ended up being used in the film.

Another Australian newspaper advertisement placed in 1941 showing the popularity of the film in Perth W.A.
  • These are great. I don't know where you find 'em all, but wowee!

• World War 1 enlistment poster. I love this one.

• A Hero Of The Dardanelles ( 1915 ) and Will They Never Come? ( 1915 ). Two Alfred Rolfe directed films made as patriotic recruiting films. An historic image advertising the two films at Condobilin, NSW. during the first World war period.

The two film posters closeups.

A Hero Of The Dardanelles film screening advertisement from 1915 and film details from another screening.

Will They Never Come?Australian  recruiting poster copied from the original U.K. version. and the film version details from a screening in 1915.

A Will that Never Come? colour recruiting poster.

1915 newspaper advertisements for two separate film screenings of Will They Never Come? in 1915.
  • Has this one been shared before?

• edited November 2020

Printed at the U.S. Government Office in Washington D. C. in 1942, this American printed poster promoted Australian soldiers as being good guys and on the right side.                                                                                                      

• Has this one been shared before?

Not on this website, only the Australian daybill. Great find.
  •  

Worth taking a look at this enlarged image of the poster.                                           

• Relating to World War 1 this undated daybill regarding Gallipoli also worth a look at.
  • What a beaut!  Hope Matt scored that Rats OS!