Skip to content

Best And The Worse Daybills, Locally Produced Artwork - Australia vs New Zealand A No Contest.

Wolf Larsen ( 1958 ).  Australian Richardson Studio daybill and a New Zealand first release daybill distributed there by a different distributor. One has to feel sorry for collectors ( if any ) of New Zealand printed daybill film posters.

The majority of films released in New Zealand were from the same film distributor that was the case in Australia, and the Australian daybills were used there. The remaining product that was released in New Zealand by other distributors, that were different from the Australian distributors had to have their own daybills designed and printed in New Zealand. The daybills printed were almost all inferior in design, as you can see above with the Wolf Larsen example. Very little time and effort and pride in their work was put into whoever was responsible in producing all the New Zealand product.Whether is was a cost and time factor or / and a complete lack of talent in the designing department, who knows.  I will possibly show some of the better and the worse examples at a later time.  

Comments

• Seance On A Wet Afternoon ( 1964 ), A striking Robert Burton Australian daybill and the New Zealand release daybill.
  • I don't hate the NZ one...
  • I particularly like the little kiwi on the Kiwi version
  • I don't hate the NZ one...
    I like it more than the other

• The Big Circus ( 1959 ) Australian Richardson Studio daybill  and the New Zealand daybill for this title that iIdon't mind at all. One of their better efforts.

• Yes, another one from NZ that I don't mind at all either.

• Angel Baby ( 1961 ) Australian daybill and a basic New Zealand daybill, which I must admit I don't mind at all.
  • I am a fan of New Zealand. Angel Baby rocks

• Pancho said:

I am not convinced the image on the right was actually printed in New Zealand. Do you have the poster size measurements?

• Bluebeard's 10 Honeymoons ( 1960) Australian daybill and the New Zealand daybill version.
  • Hmmm, not a fan of the NZ one in this instance
  •  

Doctor in The House ( 1954 ). Australian daybill and the New Zealand daybill poster.Thumbs up or down for the N. Z. version ?

• I don't hate the NZ version.  It is kinda cute :)
    However, if I wanted to own one, I'd go for the aussie in this case.
  • Surely there's a better NZ poster than the Aussie counterpart? 

• Matt said:
    Surely there's a better NZ poster than the Aussie counterpart? 

I'm still searching.

•   

Above Us The Waves ( 1955 ) Australian daybill ( Matt's one of a kind image ) and the New Zealand daybill. No contest.

The Constant Husband ( 1955 ). New Zealand daybill. I cannot locate an Australian daybill of this title that was released in Australia by London Films in 1956. Whatever was printed in Australia would have to be miles better than the N.Z, effort. What happened to the bottom half of the female's body? Anyone have an image of an Australian daybill of this title?

• Robbery ( 1967 ). Australian daybill and the New Zealand printed for Paramount Pictures New Zealand release daybill. Robbery was released in the U.S.A. by Embassy Pictures, but was released  throughout most of the remainder of the  world by Paramount Pictures. For some reason Australian distribution rights were acquired by BEF.

• Revolt In The Big House ( 1958 ). Australian daybill and a less than impressive New Zealand daybill. The weapon the convict is holding on the New Zealand version looks a bit wonky. The film wasn't released in Australia until 1961. Had the film been released a year or so before, it would have been designed by Richardson Studio. One wonders what the Richardson poster would have looked like. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This Is A HiJack ( 1973 ). Australian daybill and the New Zealand daybill. International Film Distributors Ltd. in New Zealand just adapted some the Australian Filmways poster artwork onto a stock poster. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alyse And Chloe ( 1970 ). Original French poster, the Australian daybill with artwork copied from the French poster, then there is the New Zealand poster. A better than average result from the New Zealanders this time around.

Billy Budd ( 1962 ). An above average looking Australian daybill and a New Zealand produced daybill. The time and effort put into the N.Z. poster artwork is certainly underwleming. Note that Terence Stamp's name has been elevated on the poster.

Whether the film only obtained a late release in N.Z. years later after Terrence Stamp had gained fame in The Collector ( 1965 ) is unknown. International Films was the N.Z. distributor with no Paramount involvement at all. 

• edited August 2021
    vyge3jtawlfujpg pdeekjum01qtjpg

Call Of the Wild ( 1972 ). Australian daybill and an Australian printed for New Zealand stock poster produced for the N.Z. release over there for a different film distributor.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

67esozwiu5zyjpg y03ml6mwfll5jpg

The Secret Door ( 1964 ). Original Australian daybill and a bare- bones New Zealand daybill produced for a different distributor in New Zealand, most likely International Films. A clear cut winner here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ymf77cu1efocjpg c14wvhchlpevjpg

Whistle Down The Wind ( 1961 ). Australian daybill and an original country of origin British one sheet that would have been most likely used in New Zealand and \that their daybill was copied from..

7xka11743vxmjpg cnq33ka5wbuwpng

This New Zealand daybill is the winner of the first ''Well done'' award ever given here by me to film poster artwork originating from New Zealand. There have been a few images posted here on this thread in the past that were above average, but certainly the vast majority of the New Zealand poster artwork that I have presented here has certainly been sub standard. 

3xfbqbxvg8jyjpg 9u277nfpcxcmjpg

Moment Of Danger ( 1960 ) ( retitled Malago! in the U.S.A. ). Australian daybill and a well above above average New Zealand poster.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

zixdrviir94ejpg lmvss2y6ha2ljpg

( Wil )

Man From God's Country ( 1958 ) attractive Australian Richardson Studio Paramount daybill and a bare-bones first release New Zealand daybill from International Films. Paramount were the Australian distributors of Allied Artists product at this period ot time, while International Films were the New Zealand distributor.

3la8tblmmdmpjpg g1v5cr9e36x8jpg

A Gunfight ( 1971 ) Australian daybill and a New Zealand stock poster adapted for it's release over there.

Interesting worldwide distribution with this film. Released by Paramount Pictures in the U.S.A., MGM - EMI in the U.K., Seven Keys in Australia and International Film Distributors in New Zealand.

• Commandos In Viet-Nam 1965 Paramount released Australian daybill, aka A Yank In Viet-Nam ( 1964 ) in the U.S.A. 

The unexciting New Zealand daybill version. Not credited, but most likely an Internationasl Films release there.

• My thanks to Charlie for reinstating the last two of my postings that were temporarily missing on the transfer over of the forum contents. 

• Oops spoke too soon. Almost all ot the posting images of mine have now vanished from the second last entry of mine.. 
  • As one can now see all the images have been reinstated. This occurence very odd indeed, but I am happy the problem has been solved.