Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• By all report you are not suppose to - I hated it.
  • Won’t even buy the poster...

• It would be well worthwhile to purchase this 10 DVD pack on Amazon for $ 9.99 just to see Wake Island.

• FILL IN ONLY.
  • Woweee...strong words re Shape of Water...can't wait to hear Matt's take on it now!
  • I thought it was great. Maybe could of been a bit shorter. The sets and cinematography were fantastic. Sally's performance was worthy of an Oscar nomination.  
  • Picked up Black Panther yesterday it was a really good movie. One interesting thing which I was not sure how to digest... I've been buying movies at a store called Best Buy for well over 15 years and Black Panther is the only movie ever that I have had to go and get from behind the checkout counter.  In some ways I found it sad (drawing the conclusion that it was behind the counter to prevent loss/theft) that the biggest and baddest African American movie to ever come out made it's home video debut assuming the people who wanted it, would steal it...  I can think of no other reason why they would have put it behind the counter.  In some ways the movie echoed the current divide within the culture itself - often being one's own worst enemy.  
  • Just got back from SOLO went in kind of suffering from Star Wars complacency but came our rejuvenated!!!  This was hands down the best Disney Star Wars yet... By actually having good actors like Emilia Clarke in the film instead of no name no talent whatever’s actually act made all the difference.  The story was kick ass.  It brought in just enough Star Wars references to make you feel smart and it was fun. Never whispered “come on” or “how stupid”... I totally recommend it.
  • Charlie said:
    Just got back from SOLO went in kind of suffering from Star Wars complacency but came our rejuvenated!!!  This was hands down the best Disney Star Wars yet... By actually having good actors like Emilia Clarke in the film instead of no name no talent whatever’s actually act made all the difference.  The story was kick ass.  It brought in just enough Star Wars references to make you feel smart and it was fun. Never whispered “come on” or “how stupid”... I totally recommend it.
    Ron Howard behind the cameras in the director's chair would make a huge difference one would think.
  • Yes I forgot that part as well!!!  Good point.
  • Thank goodness a positive review from Joe Moviegoer! I've been reading some downcast/negative reviews and have not been hopeful, now looking forward to seeing it with family!
  • edited May 2018
    Solo was a great ride , bit of Indiana jones action space  adventure, funny lines, no cringe worthy jokes...I rate it like Charlie 
  • Thank goodness a positive review from Joe Moviegoer! I've been reading some downcast/negative reviews and have not been hopeful, now looking forward to seeing it with family!
    Must be why there were bunches of empty seats for the Friday 7 pm showing in a Dolby theater...  I was shocked how empty the theater was. I didn’t read any reviews but man I think the critics like to roast the hell out of Star Wars now.  They called it an unnecessary prequel - The Mother of Dragons begs to differ!  You’ll see.
  • All good to hear Charlie & Sven! 

Saw an article yesterday which alluded to "fatigue" by the yearly installments & "rushing" of the movies by Disney. While it seemed to me this was affirmed by Last Jedi (which I thought he ranked just above the Star Wars prequels, I'm encouraged by your comments and looking forward to it! 

• Just finished watching it myself. In all honesty after the let down of TLJ I wasn't expecting to much, but thank God Disney went with Ron is all I can say! Great viewing and a few nods (but not to many to feel desperate) to the originals. The 'SW story's' certainly look to be the saving grace of this reboot/money grab by Disney.
  • Aussie Will Power wins the Indianapolis 500! 
  • I'm not huge fan of Star Wars anything...take em or leave, em but I love those one sheets!  I thought they were apparently recalled?
  • I'm not huge fan of Star Wars anything...take em or leave, em but I love those one sheets!  I thought they were apparently recalled?
    I won't hold that against you Ves ;), but yes you're correct, those Advance designs were blatantly copied from a group of album designs and as a result Disney pulled them pending an investigation. 

Luckily the NZ distributor never got the memo  ;) So fingers crossed I'll pick these up (although bidding on them has already gone into 3 figures!)

• The Bookshop is highly recommended if one likes well crafted and acted films, and perhaps needs a break from all the action films being seen lately.
  • We're gonna need a bigger boat!
  • We're gonna need a bigger boat!
    Exactly!  =) We just got back from nine days at Doheny Beach in Laguna Nigual, California, and a tour of Universal Studios  so it seemed appropriate. 

•  Atomic Blonde for at least the 10th time...
  • 2nd half of Killer Joe last night.  Didnt realise it was on and looked right up my alley.  
    For probably the first time in history I could understand everything McConaughey was saying.
    Need to see the whole thing before I can say yay or nay...
  • For probably the first time in history I could understand everything McConaughey was saying.

• Thanks Wil!
    I never thought of watching his films with subtitles!
    Will have to give it a go next time  =)
  • Grosse Point Blank is on the telly.
    Gawd I forgot how good it is...

DONT KILL ANYONE.  Arkin is great!
  • Grosse Point Blank is on the telly.
    Gawd I forgot how good it is...

DONT KILL ANYONE.  Arkin is great!
    I've always liked GPB. 
  • I love GPB!!! Crushing on Minnie Driver still..