Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where Are These Daybills?

123457»

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    It would be tough for it to top the 13x30RR!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• MarkMark Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited June 29
    My guess is 1933 wins by about $100K!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Mark said:
    I meant visual appeal - of course the original long daybill could be striking but the RR is spectacular in its own right (utilizing the original 3 sheet design)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Mark said:
    I meant visual appeal - of course the original long daybill could be striking but the RR is spectacular in its own right (utilizing the original 3 sheet design)
    I'm tipping the original will likely leave the RR for dust.
    Some of those really early ones are just striking.

Mark said:
    I'm tipping the original will likely leave the RR for dust.
    Some of those really early ones are just striking.

Ok Ves - start a floor removal company and then we can know for sure 🤑
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

1953 RR artwork, then take into account the above daybill isn't Simmons artwork and the following are Simmons RKO daybill  poster images from the same period. My money's on the original 1933 daybill artwork to be the standout, if only for the likely colour.  

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A couple of missing MGM daybills of lesser fame are worth a mention here as well.

I have always thought the original long daybill of  The Mask Of Fu Manchu ( 1932 ) would have to have been a cracker.Looking at the Australian trade advertisement and the original U.S. insert, it makes one eager to one day see a copy of the daybill artwork.

Kongo ( 1932 ) Australian Trade advertisement from 1933 and a rare piece of U.S. advertising material for the film, which apart from some lobby cards and b&w stills,  larger posters appear to be almost non existent. You will notice on the Australian trade ad Walter Huston's name doesn't appear. A rare herald used in Bombay below should, along with the other two images,  give us an idea of what could have appeared on the long daybill. 

Lawrence

If only the original King Kong daybill would have had this scene appearing  on it, as shown here on an original release Australian newspaper advertisement. .
    Lawrence
    Anyone ever spotted any Aussie paper for Citizen Kane (other than the RR)?
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

MovieTV MemorabiliaDocuments An Orson Welles Australian Scrapbook from Citizen Kane1940-1941
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited July 4

Son Of Kong ( 1933 ). Any first release material is extremely hard. if seeming impossible, to locate. An exciting U.S.A. window card and a 1934 Australian newspaper advertisement, almost ignoring the title character in the image artwork appears above. It makes one ponder what the Simmons long daybill might have looked like. The advisement artwork was designed by Wynne W. Davis who was responsible for designing artwork for many daybills and other promotional paper as well.
    Lawrence
    Still waiting, but not holding out too much hope though that anything will turn up.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Still waiting, but not holding out too much hope though that anything will turn up.

Do we know that Kane was released in 1941 in Oz?
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

HONDO said:

Do we know that Kane was released in 1941 in Oz?
    CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    MovieTV MemorabiliaDocuments An Orson Welles Australian Scrapbook from Citizen Kane1940-1941
    Citizen Kane was indeed released in Australia in 1941, The above earlier posted newspaper advertisement has the hard to read date appearing above the ad from Sydney N.S.W. The Daily Mirror newspaper, that was placed on the first day of the Australian release on Friday August 29 1941. 

Another amended advertisement altered from the original one, now placed  for the Plaza Theatre on September 7 as the film entered it's second week in release. The Walt Disney animated cartoon Donald's Vacation was on the supporting programme.
    Lawrence
    edited July 19

They Drive By Night ( U.S.A. 1940 insert poster) & the original completely different version of They Drive By Night ( U.K.1938 lobby card ).

They Drive By Night was a 1938 Bitish film that starred Emlyn Williams that was released in the U.K. by Warner Brothers.
    In 1940 Warner Brothers released a completely different American  film titled They Drive By Night that had no connection to the 1938 film except they had the same title and released by the same distributor. As the U.K. and Australia had already released the British film, the title of the new American film was re-titled The Road To Frisco for some overseas markets including Australia.

Australian newspaper advertisement 1940.

Australian newspaper advertisement placed in 1944 with no mention of Humphrey Bogart who by now a big star and drawcard,

Another newspaper advertisement placed in either 1944 or 1945 where someone has played around with some ad blocks and elevated Bogie to top billing.

Looking at the original U.S. They Drive by Night insert poster and knowing that the original 1940 released re-titled The Road to Frisco daybill would most certainly have been a long daybill, and if the 1940 artwork of other WB films is any indication, including the below All This, And Heaven Too example, if a daybill ever turns up it should be a good one.

Lawrence
    Some food for thought...King Kong:

The Australian 1953 Australian re-release one sheet  and extracted from the preceeding 1933 image posted by Ves is what appears to be a one sheet with a very similar design. It appears then the original 1933 artwork was copied in 1953.

Lawrence
    Agreed...copied very badly unfortunately :(
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

Excellent Sven. I love both images. I had been waiting years for a Baby Face Nelson daybill  to turn up and I must say it is much better than I thought it would be.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Lawrence
    Nice ones Sven - both look great (but of course I am biased on the genre!)
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...