Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The Enemy Below

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
                                                                                                                                   The Enemy Below ( 1957 ). I believe this may be an alternative printing for the first release of The Enemy Below in Australia in January, 1958. There may also be  a full colour version of this duotone daybill design. Has anyone ever sighted an image of a full colour daybill ?
Lawrence

Comments

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    If there is one man for the job it would be @Matt!
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Was about say say the same, Matt could know.

I'm off to watch this now, that poster put me in the mood for it...
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,036 admin
    I haven't sighted a full colour daybill but the one sheet isn't that colourful either. My hopes aren't high in finding one. 
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Matt said:
    I haven't sighted a full colour daybill but the one sheet isn't that colourful either. My hopes aren't high in finding one. 

Love to see the Australian one sheet poster you referred to.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:

Love to see the Australian one sheet poster you referred to.

Here you go.

Thanks Matt. This image supports the thought I have that there would be another dayill printed apart from the diuotne daybill pictured above. More soon.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Oh that's nice.  I like it!
     The reason behind my thinking that there would have been a more colourful daybill poster printed for The Enemy Below than the green duotone appearing above is that in 1957 /1958 20th Century fox had a number of film title daybills printed in colour and duotone. This was around the time Fox was switching printing over to Robert Burton as W.E. Smith was being dropped as their preferred printer. Two films in this category being The Wayward Bus and The Three Faces Of Eve with images of the two styles appearing above. Note also The Wayward Bus has a full colour one sheet as well. My logic is seeing their was a more colourful one sheet printed for The Enemy Below and in line with the other two examples, at least a similar colour daybill as the one sheet would also have been printed.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited October 2016
    So with that reasoning the more colourful daybill would of been printed in a smaller batch in number and the one sheet even less quantity in theory because there was a number of each type already in the cinemas or ready to go to the cinemas.

Interesting that for The Wayward Bus and The Three Faces Of Eve the green duotone daybills were printed by W.E. Smith and the colour daybills by Robert Burton but with The Enemy Below the green duotone daybill was printed by Robert Burton.

A question unanswered is were there green duotone one sheets printed for any of these three titles? I don't believe so myself.

Lawrence
    There were other examples of green duotone 20th Century Fox daybills of titles released in Australian during 1957 and 1958. I will mention and show images of two other green duotone daybills shortly, but in the meantime I would appreciate if any members have any examples of the green duotone 20th Century Fox daybills and one sheets ( I don't believe any O.S. were printed though ), and advise me the titles or better still post the images on this thread.
    Lawrence
     Swamp Women ( 1956 ). Released later in Australia. Has anyone a copy or has  seen a colour daybill, most likely W. E. Smith, of this title, or a one sheet or 3 sheet of any style ?
    Lawrence
     Blue Murder At St. Trinian's ( 1957 ). The last of the green duotone daybills that I have located for daybills printed for 20th Century Fox releases in 1957 and 1958 in Australia. I believe there may be different original full colour daybill are well somewhere out there? Anyone have one?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                       The Enemy Below ( 1957 ). I believe this may be an alternative printing for the first release of The Enemy Below in Australia in January, 1958. There may also be  a full colour version of this duotone daybill design. Has anyone ever sighted an image of a full colour daybill ?

Another Duo tone version

Sven said:
    HONDO said:

Another Duo tone version

Thanks Sven. Along with your posted Curse of The Faceless Man duotone image appearing on another thread, I haven't sighed these images before. I still believe, due to previous examples of the green style artwork having colour versions as well, that there has to be a more  coloured daybill, similar to the Australian one sheet sitting out there somewhere. Actually the newly posted image artwork isn't too bad for this style of duotone poster.
    Lawrence
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    It's more than a Hobby...
    Quad wins again! Thanks for sharing Paul.
    edited July 6