Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Missing Daybills.

13»

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited July 2015
    and another

Post edited by David on
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Doesn't that one belong is the ugly daybill thread? ;)
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Would you mind letting me know the printer's name for The Monster that Challenged The World?
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    W.E. Smith Limited Sydney...can just make it out in his picture

If you thought that one was ugly how about this other United Artist daybill of the following year.

Lawrence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

If you thought that one was ugly how about this other United Artist daybill of the following year.

That ain't so bad comparatively!
    Chris
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Rick said:

Thanks for posting this Rick. I have half of a one sheet for this title - looks a lot more colourful!
    John

Has anyone ever sighted a full colour version of Curse Of The Faceless Man?
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    John said:
    Rick said:

Thanks for posting this Rick. I have half of a one sheet for this title - looks a lot more colourful!
    I do like how they chose "Challenged", a politically correct monster for once
    Yes it's W.E., Smith. I've not seen that It previously
    Printed by W.E.Smith a year or so before they ceased producing film posters.
    Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Rick said:
    and another

Thanks Rick!

Any idea what this might be worth on today's market? Obviously a rare title!
    Crazies? No idea, I've never seen one for sale so it is probably rare. If I had a spare...
    I have a couple of Martin but again that's not one that comes up often.
    I can't remember how or where I got them,
    What about a daybill for The Last Man On Earth (64) with Vincent Price?
    What about a daybill for The Last Man On Earth (64) with Vincent Price?

Was originally banned in Australia in 1964 but classified for exhibition eight years later on 1st of April, 1972 and given only a NRC rating. The applicant was CUC Films Australia. I have never seen any Australian posters of any type for this title.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                                                                             Has anyone ever sighted a full colour version of Curse Of The Faceless Man?

This version has a rating. I wonder if a colour version was printed? Are there examples from 1950s United Artists where there is proof a duo tone is the first release?

This Curse Of The Faceless Man ( 1958 ) duotone daybill poster, used the Mummy's face artwork that previously was  used on  the Pharaoh's Curse ( 1957 )  Australian daybill. The non printer's credit  and the United Artists style printing logo, along with the previous artwork copied would estimate it to be an early 1960's follow up printing, which took place a lot around this period of time with UA product.

Lawrence
    Sven said:

Are there examples from 1950s United Artists where there is proof a duo tone is the first release?

I believe United Artists always printed colour ( if only limited sometimes ) daybills prior to duotones being printed later on at various time periods. Some small independent distributors like Blake, Regent and  IFD  printed some of their first release film posters in duotone regularly in the 1960's, but the majors didn't usually sink to this level, unless the overseas material was duotone in design. There was one Australian major film distributor that did have printed, for whatever reason, a very small amount of duotone daybill and one sheet posters for ''B'' titles ( or worse ), that were probably deemed to be of little box office value to receive the great artwork they would have normally received from the Richardson Studio. You guessed it and it was Paramount Australia. Maybe I will start a separate thread dealing with them at some stage or another.

Lawrence
    Great info Lawrence.   Thanks again