Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 182 could be a colourised lobby from - Reach for the Sky (1956)?
  • 184. Odette (1950)
  • 182 The First of a Few (1942) aka Spitfire

David Niven fans, hang your heads in shame.

• Matt said:

182 The First of a Few (1942) aka Spitfire

Damn that's the one!! I knew it focused on the testing of early Spits! 
  • Matt said:

We're just giving the rest of you a chance to jump in.  Sheesh!
  • Matt said:

We're just giving the rest of you a chance to jump in.  Sheesh!

Thanks! ;)
  • edited August 2018
    Well 183 is the true late war classic with Mr Niven as the platoon commander of a mixed bag of recruits in - The Way Ahead (1944)

Correct. A.k.a. The Immortal Battalion in the U.S.A.. I am glad you were able to get in first to answer this one as it was with you in mind Wil that I had included it in the first batch of The Best Of British images.

• Great pick Lawrence! I only watched it the other day, obviously very much a much a 'do your duty and enlist' propaganda flick, but still very well done. 
  • 184. Odette (1950)
    Matt said:

Both of course correct as well. It took only 59 minutes to receive back the three correct answers. I had presented the images at 11.32a.m. and by 12.31p.m. all were answered. Good job guys. You were spoilt too with two David Niven films included. I must be doing something right these days so three more coming up shortly.

•  185 186

The second lot of The Best Of British to test you.
  • edited August 2018
    Surely 185 is The Dam Busters (1955)?

• 186: Sea of Sand? A bit of a guess with the obvious surrounding terrain, however the soldier on the left looked like a young Richard Attenborough.
  • edited August 2018
    Surely 185 is The Dam Busters (1955)?

186: Sea of Sand? A bit of a guess with the obvious surrounding terrain, however the soldier on the left looked like a young Richard Attenborough.
    Sorry but neither answers are correct. The young actor on the left you referred to, was to become a very well known actor in later years of his career. The #185 film is from the 1950's and 186 is from the 1940's.
  • Thought I was clutching at straws there Lawrence. 
  • #185 - Appointment in London 1953 (AKA Raiders in the Sky)  Dirk Bogard

• jayn_j said:
    #185 - Appointment in London 1953 (AKA Raiders in the Sky)  Dirk Bogard

Correct and well spotted. It appears to be Dirk on the left side of the image that I had posted. A very good film, but a fair while ago since I viewed it.

A # 186 clue is that the actor on the left of this image had a connection with Australia.
  • The man in question is Gordon Jackson, most notably from  The Great Escape and was in the mini series A Town like Alice.

• edited August 2018
     186 correct Matt and well worked out. Nine Men was released in 1943. Popular Scottish actor Gordon Jackson also acted in Eureka Stockade ( a.k.a. Massacre Hill in the U.S.A. ) ( 1949 ) and Bitter Springs ( 1950 ), which were both filmed in Australia.

And let's not forget his T. V. series The Professionals ( 1977-1983 ). The following image shows him with his co-stars Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins.

• Well done Matt.
  • How can you mention Gordon Jackson and leave out Upstairs, Downstairs?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066722/

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

•  187 188 189

continues with batch 3 set to challenge you, although I don't believe they are difficult at all.
  • I'll go for a tougher one.  #187 is A Hill (Hell) in Korea 1956.
  • jayn_j said:
    I'll go for a tougher one.  #187 is A Hill (Hell) in Korea 1956.
    Thanks, I'll knock off the two easy ones :) 

both with Richard Todd in lead roles (pictured in his Parachute Regiment uniform prior to D-Day)

188: The Dam Busters (1955)

189: Yangtse Incident: The Story of H.M.S. Amethyst (1957) released as 'Battle Hell' in the States 

• That said, I'm now doubting myself with 189....  :s
  • jayn_j said:
    I'll go for a tougher one.  #187 is A Hill (Hell) in Korea 1956.

Correct.  A Hill In Korea the original U.K. title altered to Hell In Korea in the U.S.A. Included in the cast was Michael Caine in a small roll at the very beginning of illustrious film career and eight years before Zulu shot his to fame.

• Thanks, I'll knock off the two easy ones :) 

both with Richard Todd in lead roles (pictured in his Parachute Regiment uniform prior to D-Day)

188: The Dam Busters (1955)

189: Yangtse Incident: The Story of H.M.S. Amethyst (1957) released as 'Battle Hell' in the States 

Correct and great looking quads Wil.
  • HONDO said:

Included in the cast was Michael Caine in a small roll at the very beginning of illustrious film career and eight years before Zulu shot his to fame.

Also having served in the Korean War himself as an infantryman only two years prior to this films release.

Batch 4 shouldn't present a problem.

• Here is me thinking the last batch wasn't difficult. If not answered in the near future I will supply some clues.
  • 192:  In Which We Serve (1942)