Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• I think the Purple Gang were the Bernstein Brothers, in Detroit during Prohibition. Nice poster, Ves!

The actual Detroit Purple gang. A scary looking lot I would say.
  • HONDO said:
    I think the Purple Gang were the Bernstein Brothers, in Detroit during Prohibition. Nice poster, Ves!

The actual Detroit Purple gang. A scary looking lot I would say.
    Good snag, Lawrence!  They were short on brains, but tough on muscle. Perfect for the  Detroit river----which saw 75% of bootlegged alcohol into America during Prohibition. 
  • Have we seen this one before?

• Have we seen this one before?

I haven't seen this daybil image previously. The rare Australian one sheet of The House Of Fear ( 1945 ) features in the 
    Hershenson / Allen Archive though.

• Gorgeous.  I can't make out the daybill...MARCHANT?
    It certainly looks like W.E.Smith Ltd. Sydney to me.

The Australian one sheet of The House Of Fear I previously had poster has at the bottom the letter E missing from the ''A Universal Picture'' and the W.E.Smith Ltd. Sydney credit is only showing as ''W.E.Smi''.

I am pretty sure it is the old reliable W.E. Smith too...
  • Anyone ever seen an "Across the Pacific" daybill?
  • Thanks...I meant the daybill, but I see you are right.
    Uncharacteristically photo like for WE Smith :)  Though could just be the image.
  • Anyone ever seen an "Across the Pacific" daybill?
    No I haven't sighted a daybill image of Across The Pacific . This title is one of the approximately 57% of Humphrey Bogart feature films that he made between 1930 and 1956, where no Australian daybill posters have, to the best of my knowledge, been sighted.  

• Thanks Lawrence - seems to me of his 40s/50s output it and They Drive By Night are the two significant ones missing 

• .CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    Thanks Lawrence - seems to me of his 40s/50s output it and They Drive By Night are the two significant ones missing 
    High Sierra and Treasure Of The Sierra Madre ? Unless you have these titles in your possession I have not aware over the years of any original release daybill copies existing. These two must be two of the most sort after Bogie titles that collectors are seeking. 

I will follow up dealing with the missing Australian daybills soon.
  • HONDO said:

.CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    Thanks Lawrence - seems to me of his 40s/50s output it and They Drive By Night are the two significant ones missing 
    High Sierra and Treasure Of The Sierra Madre ? Unless you have these titles in your possession I have not aware over the years of any original release daybill copies existing. These two must be two of the most sort after Bogie titles that collectors are seeking. 

Of course you're right Lawrence.  And no I don't have them secretly hidden away ;)  

When I wrote the above I was thinking more so NO paper turning up at all - there is a one sheet for Sierra Madre and of course the re-release daybill for High Sierra.  But as this is specifically a daybill discussion that was erroneous thinking!
  • HONDO said:

.CSM_2_Point_0 said:

Of course you're right Lawrence.  And no I don't have them secretly hidden away ;)  

When I wrote the above I was thinking more so NO paper turning up at all - there is a one sheet for Sierra Madre and of course the re-release daybill for High Sierra.  But as this is specifically a daybill discussion that was erroneous thinking!
    Yeah yeah...sure sure...cough em up!

• It All Came True ( 1940), Brother Orchid ( 1940 ) and They Drive by Night ( The Road To Frisco in Australia ) ( 1940 ) U.S.A. insert posters.

These titles should  have been printed as long daybills by most likely Marchant & Co., but posssibly Hackett Offset are outside possibilities also. 

High Sierra ( 1941 ) , The Wagons Roll At Night ( 1941 ), and Across The Pacific ( 1942 ) U.S.A. insert posters.

High Sierra and The Wagons Roll At Night were released in Australia in the first half of 1941, so this should mean the two daybills would have been printed as long daybills and most likely by Marchant & Co.  Across The Pacicic would have been a 13'' x 30'' size version from Marchant & Co.

The Treasure of The Sierra Madre ( 1948 ), Toyko Joe ( 1949 ) and In A Lonely Place ( ( 1950 ) U.S.A. insert posters.

All three titles were most likely  printed by W. E. Smith.

Of the 40 feature films that Humphrey Bogart appereared in that were released in the U.S.A. between 1940 and 1956 there are Australian daybill images available for 31 of them and the remaining missing 9 films are shown above in the closest form we will in have an idea of what the missing daybills may look like, the insert..

An interesting fact is of the remaining Humphrey Bogart feature films that he made and that were released between 1930 ( his first feature film ) and 1939, from out of 34 films the only original film of his, from it's original release in daybill form, is the long daybnill of The Oklahoma Kid ( 1939 ).

Now is the time to produce any Bogie daybill images of the nine titles that I have listed as missing or any of the 33 missing 1930's titles of his that isn't The Oklahoma Kid. One last thing is that I find it sad to think that the following daybill image is only one available of of the 34 Humphrey Bogart films that he made in the 1930's, and to makes things worse he isn't even pictured on the poster. 

• In a Lonely Place...Chris posted a while back

• edited August 2018

Excellent Ves and thank you. Thought it looked familiar but I mustn't have kept a copy at the time, which I have certainly done now. Any others anyone? That completes the 1950's Bogie daybills then.
  • In a Lonely Place...Chris posted a while back

Oh hey good lookin'!  I should really see about getting you on the wall ;)
  • Listen, send your Sweet Smell of Success down here to me so that I can appreciate on my walls ;)

• We now know these four Australian daybills existed in 1934, where they displayed at the Capitol Theatre. The big question is of course have they survived to this day, as to my knowledge none of the four have surfaced to date ? NIce looking long daybills by the look of them. Trimmed for display here.
  • edited August 2018

A couple more Ves that qualify for inclusion in  the ''Two different original styles of the same daybill designs'' thread.It certainly appears nowadays that  in the 1920's and the 1930's two different styles of  daybills were printed by Paramount, RKO and Universal at least. It is extremely hard to locate daybills for a film where the usual one design was printed let alone finding a second design.

• edited August 2018

The Oklahoma Kid daybill from 1939 and now a glass lantern slide used in Australia on the first release also, that I thought was worth a view, as any Australian material from Humphrey Bogart's 1930's films is extremely rare. Unlike the daybill Bogie's image appears on the slide.

• HONDO said:

Where are the daybills for Murder Is My Beat ( 1955 )

Update on two of the above three missing daybills.

Recently revealed by Sven on another thread this Australia printed daybill, without Australian censorship appearing, aimed for New Zealand usage.

A Kiss Me Deadly daybill existing is now confirmed. A copy of an Australian daybill was sold at auction at The Movie Posterama Auction No. 2, held on August 11, 1996 at the Westgarth Theatre ( formally the Valhalla Cinema ) in Northcote Victoria. No image appeared in the sale catalogue.

Another famous horror title missing an Australia daybill. What a find it would be if a daybill ever turned up.

Doctor X ( 1932 ). U.S.A. artwork and an Australian Newspaper advertisement from 1933.
  • HONDO said:

Killer's Kiss ( 1955 ) directed by Stanley Kubrick  &  Odds Against Tomorrow ( 1959 ) directed by Robert Wise.How rare would the very low budget Killer's Kiss have to be? Odds Against Tomorrow is a great film noir movie, filmed in black and white on location in New York City. I am not surprised a daybill for Killer's Kiss hasn't turned up, but I thought Odds Against Tomorrow daybills  have to be out there somewhere.

Odds Against Tomorrow daybill image recently revealed by Sven on another thread. Gloria Grahame pictured on the insert but Shelly winters appears on the daybill. Both posters effective for this great film. .
  • edited August 2018
    HONDO said:

Background To Danger ( 1943 ). This is an interesting example here from this Warner Brothers entry. The Australian second printing duotone daybill features the artwork from the Australian press sheet  pictured above, The add block seen in the top left hand corner was the source for the majority of the material used on the daybill.  The Peter Lorre and Brenda Marshall image, which originated from the above U.S. lobby card was added to the bottom section to complete the daybill. This is the closest I have been able to find of  press sheet add block material and the daybill being the same.

Let's Be Famous ( 1939 ). Apart from the Australian censorship rating placement being in a different position, the daybill and the newspaper advertisement appear to be exactly the same design. Is this finally  proof, even if extremely rare, that a daybill design was used in a newspaper advertisement placed by a cinema? I have another Newspaper advertisement that I believe is also a daybill design, but alas no daybill image is available to compare with.
  • What's the movie?
  •  theartofmovieposters said:
    What's the movie?

An Australian newspaper advertisement from 1939 with Blondie Takes A Vacation ( 1939 ) on the same programme as  Let's Be Famous.
  • edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

Strategic Air Command ( 1955 ) U.S.A. insert.

The majority of 1950's Richardson produced and printed  Paramount daybill images are available to see. One of the major titles missing an image of appears to be Strategic Air Command. As the film is from the mid 1950s, multiple copies of this daybill are sure to exist today. Has anyone seen one or better still own one, and if so, an image posted on this thread to share would be great.

In answering Mel's earlier questions - yes, yes and no.

Hi Lawrence i have located an image of strategic air command richardson daybill. I will post today. 
  • Not the best image but you can see it's a lovely Richardson design. Boy I'd love to own!