Skip to content

New Australian extortion...I mean totally valid fees!

Just got a letter from Australia Customs - they're holding my latest shipment from Bruce until I pay them the best part of $100 for them to complete 'customs formalities'. The new GST on foreign purchases...

Sheesh - if I could buy these posters locally I would! Exactly which Australian business is being disadvantaged by me buying rare movie paper from O/S?

Comments

• I emailed to find out what the heck i need to do to get my goods and received this automated reply:

Thank you for contacting the Australian Border Force.

We aim to process your postal import declaration within five working days of receipt of a complete and accurate declaration, subject to any regulatory impediments.

Due to operational priorities and during peak processing times, we aim to process your postal import declaration within eight working days of receipt of a complete and accurate declaration, subject to any regulatory impediments.

Import declarations are processed in order of receipt and cannot be processed without the correct tariff classification and a copy of the invoice.

• Was the value of the parcel over $1,000?
  • Can't be worse than NZ? Customs wouldn't release Ivanhoe until I coughed up $470NZ!!  
  • Would be interested in the declared value also.

Have had a handful of parcels come into Aus since the change, and not one held up...
  • i just had a parcel from bruce less than $1000 and it wasn't held up. I've previously had a packages worth about $3000 from Bruce and had to pay 10%
  • Even if the Aussie government is now requiring these additional fees it is still nice to know that despite high value declarations on these incoming packages they are still reaching you guys (eventually!).
  • I can't imagine that EVERY parcel coming in would be held up to get their GST fix.
    Storage alone would be a killer...not mention what they do with all the parcels that people refuse to claim due to the unexpected fees.

Hopefully, the threshold for attention has remained at 1000.

Has anyone every had one held up for less?
  • edited August 2018
    I can't imagine that EVERY parcel coming in would be held up to get their GST fix.
    Storage alone would be a killer...not mention what they do with all the parcels that people refuse to claim due to the unexpected fees.

You don't get held up for goods whose declared value is under $1,000 although they will hold it up if they suspect you are under declaring (or the sniffer dog has sat next to it). ;)

Yes, you are right, they didn't always hold every parcel that was there or thereabouts but now it is so computer generated you rarely can get away with it. That said, it can be discretionary if the cost to collect is more than the value collected - I have had the odd one slip through.

People like Bruce won't under declare on your behalf, it's not worth it for his business to get caught - false declaration on export docs is a crime in most countries. Besides under declaring also runs the risk of losing out on insurance if the goods are damaged or go astray. 

Very few people don't pay, who is going to walk aways from goods they paid (say) $1,200 for because they don't want to pay another $200 or so?

• All international packages here have to pay 50% of the declared value + shipping. Even those marked as "gift".
    Oz is turning into a 3rd world country... Welcome lads! :)
  • Sadly the horrible eBay 10% import surcharge has been imposed. 
  • David said:
    I can't imagine that EVERY parcel coming in would be held up to get their GST fix.

You don't get held up for goods whose declared value is under $1,000 although they will hold it up if they suspect you are under declaring (or the sniffer dog has sat next to it). ;)

Yes, you are right, they didn't always hold every parcel that was there or thereabouts but now it is so computer generated you rarely can get away with it. That said, it can be discretionary if the cost to collect is more than the value collected - I have had the odd one slip through.

People like Bruce won't under declare on your behalf, it's not worth it for his business to get caught - false declaration on export docs is a crime in most countries. Besides under declaring also runs the risk of losing out on insurance if the goods are damaged or go astray. 

Very few people don't pay, who is going to walk aways from goods they paid (say) $1,200 for because they don't want to pay another $200 or so?

Thanks, but I meant the new goverment 10% on everything coming into the country.
    I appreciate that items over 1000 have always been held up.

There was talk that the 10% would have to be captured by the seller and sent through, which was never going to work...so I was wondering what the go was with imported goods hitting customs.  But it sounds like status quo...
  • Now they tell me that the best / quickest way to get my parcel released is to engage a customs broker to lodge an import declaration on my behalf!
  • Where is your actual parcel located?
    It might be worthwhile going down there...talking to a person.
  • edited August 2018
    A customs broker! So more money out of the sky rocket!
  • This whole situation sure seems ridiculous 
  • Pancho said:
    Now they tell me that the best / quickest way to get my parcel released is to engage a customs broker to lodge an import declaration on my behalf!

I am presuming it has come by Post (it will have a reference number beginning with V)

The form you need is a B374 - get it here https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Forms/Documents/B374.pdf, fill it in and email it to postimportsnsw@customs.gov.au 

The goods will likely be released (after payment) in a couple of days usually, 8-10 days if busy. Whereas a Customs broker will charge you around $90-$150 (plus you still have to pay the duties/GST and may only quicken the process by just a few days) - but they provide the service for an area you don't know about, so it is your call.

Doing it yourself is the best option and is relatively painless (except to your wallet) and all can be done electronically.

Make sure you get the Tariff Classification correct, it's the difference between 5% duty and 20% - I can't remember what it it is, John will know.

Where is your actual parcel located?
    It might be worthwhile going down there...talking to a person.
    Since it has hit Customs, duties and/or GST is now payable, you have no show of talking to anyone to get the goods released any faster.
  • I have and in the past I did...
  • edited August 2018
    And besides, getting out of it was not the reason behind saying go down there...sometimes speaking to a person face to face gets things resolved faster.
  • I’m sure Trump will screw it up here in the US soon.. I’ve never paid anything for a package above shipping.
  • I have and in the past I did...
    On a Customs notice or a PO notice?
  • Actually you raise a good point.  I wonder how much the process has changed over the years and esp since Border Farce were introduced.  Through Fedex is the only experience I have had with customs recently.  The others were gosh...hmmm, more than 10-15 years ago.

I've 3 experiences with customs duties, but only two poster related.

1. Had to pay money at a local PO in order to have my goods released
    2. Went in and got my stuff after an argument with the customs 
    3. Through Fedex..."pay us this money and we will deliver your goods"
  • I have a couple of queries on how this all works

What happens if there is no invoice included on the package?

How do they identify packages that already have had GST paid through ebay?

Packages sent through Fedex have an additional AQIS entry charge on top of duty and GST. How come that doesn't apply to all international packages?

It looks as though the process is flawed at the moment. Ultimately, I think it will put people off from buying from overseas dealers because it is a pain to have to complete all of the documentation and pay the fees.

• Bottom line: For goods with a value of AUD$1,000 or less, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border. 

Imports through the likes of FEDEX, TNT (owned by FEDEX), DHL, USPS are generally pre-cleared as part of their service is that they provide a Door-to-Door service and therefore clear shipments through Customs (hence the express part of their service) , usually this is whilst the good are in transit so there is no delay when it hits the ground.

It doesn't matter if there is no invoice included as the goods had to have declaration of value on the shipping docs the sender completed when they sent it (just like we have to complete when sending overseas).

AQIS fee may appear as a 'Security Fee' on your invoice. I can't answer if it is on every company's invoice but it is for USPS, DHL and TNT  and private used logistic companies. https://tinyurl.com/ycvbbaze

You have to remember when it comes to the AustPost, they are not Customs Brokers nor do they do Customs clearances per se, it is all electronic and as soon as it lands if it is over $1,000 it is (likely) to be held in Bond and they send a letter to say with notification on what has happened, how to pay etc etc.
  • It doesn't matter if there is no invoice included as the goods had to have declaration of value on the shipping docs the sender completed when they sent it (just like we have to complete when sending overseas).
    There are always requests from buyers asking sellers to declare a low value.
  • David said:
    Bottom line: For goods with a value of AUD$1,000 or less, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border. 

I'm still not completely clear on how all this will work but from what I can see ebay is charging/collecting GST on ALL overseas purchases irrespective of the value. If that is the case then surely all overseas non ebay sales should be attracting GST.
  • John you're right - i was charged an extra $10% on a low value eBay item from overseas
  • Rick said:
    John you're right - i was charged an extra $10% on a low value eBay item from overseas
    Yes, I was charged 0.31c GST on a low value camera lens from China. 
  • I spoke with a lady at Customs to see if she could help direct me towards the right tariff (p.s. she couldn't), but I think I've narrowed it down to Schedule 3, Section 10, Chapter 49 - Printed books, newspaper, pictures and other products of the printing industry; manuscripts, typescripts and plans

The particular entry: 
    4901.10.0001..- In single sheets, whether or not folded

This suggests that it should be free of additional tariffs. Should.

Yeah - and don't both searching for poster or advertising - nothing useful comes up. But some funny stuff does!

Tariff ClassificationTCO NumberTCO descriptionOperative dateDecision date
    POSTCARDS AND/OR GREETING CARDS AND/OR ADVERTISING POSTERS 
    AND/OR ADVERTISING SHOWCARDS, having a composition of NOT less 
    than 75% processed elephant dung

So now you all know the code for when you import your next 75% + elephant dung paper products. You're welcome.
  • I think what irks me is that collectibles have a very fluid situation when it comes to price. A couple of posters in my box are very scarce and are clearly worth more to me that anyone else (hence why I won the auctions!)

On the open market, they may yield 30% less today. Without comparable prices, how are our lovely border force going to decide what they think my posters are worth?

All I can say is thank God they have no other pressing border security problems to deal with, so they are free to spend hours trolling Bruce's sales archive to decide what my 1970s German sexploitation daybill is worth. Tax money well spent.