Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Exorcist Australian one-sheet

RickRick Member Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
Has anyone seen an Australian one-sheet from the original release of The Exorcist? I have the daybill in various shades and the US one-sheet but not the Aussie one-sheet.

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Hmmm, not sure...I don't think so actually.

• PanchoPancho Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I think I have a Aussie press sheet - let me see if it says a one sheet was available.
  • RickRick Member Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i somehow finished up with the US pressbook, but not an Aussie press sheet
  • RickRick Member Posts: 735 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Thanks but that seems to be the US version with the fine print along the bottom
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    It is an Internationl U.S. produced one sheet, which has the Australian R rating stamped on the bottom of the poster. The question now is was there an Australian one sheet printed as well. or was the International one sheet solely used in Australia ?
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Brude said:

Interesting article thanks for posting Ted.

Unless I am not seeing something extraordinary in the pictures, not much there worth going the extra mile to save, considering most are still around in ample supply.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

The majority of Warner Brothers films released in Australia in the 1970's, starting around circa 1972, didn't have an Australian one sheet version printed for them. The International one sheet that was printed in the U.S.A. was mainly supplied to the cinema owners and censorship snipes were applied to the posters, and in the case of The Exorcist it was a large R  certificate sticker. If you want an Australian one sheet the closest you will get is one that had an R certificate attached to it. Why throughout the 1970's there was a small number of Australian one sheets printed, when the majority of WB one sheets were just supplied as Int. one sheets is anyone's guess.

Lawrence

I had been hoping for some feedback on my comments. Agree or disagree, any thoughts?
    Lawrence
    Not my genre so I dont pay close attention to the paper.  Dont recall seeing any, and have only seen the ah interesting aussie daybills.
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Generally in the 1970s, Australia received films after their US runs had finished - sometimes 5 (or more) years afterwards. I'd suggest that once the posters had been returned to the US distributors, they were sent on to the foreign markets as a cost saving measure.
    HONDO said:
    The majority of Warner Brothers films released in Australia in the 1970's, starting around circa 1972, didn't have an Australian one sheet version printed for them. The International one sheet that was printed in the U.S.A. was mainly supplied to the cinema owners and censorship snipes were applied to the posters, and in the case of The Exorcist it was a large R  certificate sticker. If you want an Australian one sheet the closest you will get is one that had an R certificate attached to it. Why throughout the 1970's there was a small number of Australian one sheets printed, when the majority of WB one sheets were just supplied as Int. one sheets is anyone's guess.

Pancho said:
    Generally in the 1970s, Australia received films after their US runs had finished - sometimes 5 (or more) years afterwards. I'd suggest that once the posters had been returned to the US distributors, they were sent on to the foreign markets as a cost saving measure.

Sorry Pancho but the films you are most likely are thinking of are the genre of films that you collect posters of. For general audience films in the earlier days, the 1950's in particular, overseas films in some cases took two years in some cases to secure a release here in Australia due to long runs in cinemas and a bank up of lots of product took place. It started to change in the 1960's when Hollywood and British distributors releases declined greatly. By the 1970's Australia was pretty well releasing films not far after the overseas releases in the majority of cases.

All the posters I was referring to were printed posters that had International printed on them, so they would't have been used in the U.S.A. at all. I have checked some of  the WB 1970's titles released here only with International one sheets used for them and the films were released here in the same year as the U.S.
    Lawrence