Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Australian extortion...I mean totally valid fees!

2»

Comments

  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Surely they went off the declared value on the package?
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    John said:
    David said:
    Bottom line: For goods with a value of AUD$1,000 or less, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border. 

    I'm still not completely clear on how all this will work but from what I can see ebay is charging/collecting GST on ALL overseas purchases irrespective of the value. If that is the case then surely all overseas non ebay sales should be attracting GST.
    Yes me too.  Hence my original question.  All items coming in are supposed to attract 10%...requiring the seller to collect and pass on to the government.  Like that's gonna happen.

    They can't hold everything that comes in to get 10% either...and how do they work out who already paid.  The whole thing is ridiculous.. 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Anywho...good luck Pancho 
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    John said:
    David said:
    Bottom line: For goods with a value of AUD$1,000 or less, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay at the border. 

    I'm still not completely clear on how all this will work but from what I can see ebay is charging/collecting GST on ALL overseas purchases irrespective of the value. If that is the case then surely all overseas non ebay sales should be attracting GST.
    Yes me too.  Hence my original question.  All items coming in are supposed to attract 10%...requiring the seller to collect and pass on to the government.  Like that's gonna happen.

    They can't hold everything that comes in to get 10% either...and how do they work out who already paid.  The whole thing is ridiculous.. 
    It is indeed ridiculous. How can they make ebay charge 10% gst on each and every international transaction but let others avoid it? What about sites like abebooks and other big selling platforms? 
    John

  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,181 admin
    Seems to be a bit of confusion on GST.

    If GST is paid by eBay on the sale (ergo GST is passed on to the buyer) that doesn't mean that Customs would not charge GST on the duty and other charges they have to charge. Besides, GST is not a Customs charge it is a Government charge that Customs are require to collect on behalf, just like every other business has too.


    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited August 6
    David said:
    Seems to be a bit of confusion on GST.

    If GST is paid by eBay on the sale (ergo GST is passed on to the buyer) that doesn't mean that Customs would not charge GST on the duty and other charges they have to charge. Besides, GST is not a Customs charge it is a Government charge that Customs are require to collect on behalf, just like every other business has too.
    GST is now supposed to be added to all international purchases. ebay has been required to implement this but other sites have not. The big problem for the government is how do they actually collect the GST on international transactions other than ebay. 

    Here is the policy ….

    GST applies to goods imported by consumers into Australia.

    Orders up to AU $1,000
    From 1 July 2018, if you're buying an item located outside Australia and you select a delivery address in Australia, eBay will add GST to your total at checkout. The order value (item price + postage costs) goes directly to the seller as usual, and eBay remits the GST portion to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).


    John

  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    From the HOME AFFAIRS site below, for consumers, it looks like no onus on us, but on the supplier or seller...nothing but a terribly thought out money grab...so basically status quo for buyers UNLESS the supplier has registered with government to take up the GST collection

    GST on low value imported goods

    From 1 July 2018, goods with a customs value of AUD1000 or less (low value goods) may attract the Goods and Services Tax (GST) at the point of sale if imported from overseas by consumers in Australia.

    There will be no changes to:

    • the AUD1000 threshold for reporting and collection of duties and taxes at the border
    • border clearance processes
    • the flow of goods across borders
    • current import requirements for tobacco, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages.

    Businesses with sales (subject to Australian GST) of AUD75000 or more to consumers in Australia within a 12 month period, will need to register with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), collect GST at the point of sale and remit that GST to the ATO.

    This includes businesses that are:

    • merchants who sell goods to consumers
    • electronic distribution platform operators
    • re-deliverers

    There are rules that determine which businesses will need to register for, and charge GST. Further information on GST registration for non-residents of Australia is available from the ATO website.

    The ATO is communicating, educating and assisting affected businesses to comply with the measure and ensuring specific information is available for transporters and customs brokers; consumers; and businesses all of which may be impacted by these changes.

  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,181 admin
    edited August 7
    John said:
    David said:
    Seems to be a bit of confusion on GST.

    If GST is paid by eBay on the sale (ergo GST is passed on to the buyer) that doesn't mean that Customs would not charge GST on the duty and other charges they have to charge. Besides, GST is not a Customs charge it is a Government charge that Customs are require to collect on behalf, just like every other business has too.
    GST is now supposed to be added to all international purchases. ebay has been required to implement this but other sites have not. The big problem for the government is how do they actually collect the GST on international transactions other than ebay. 

    Here is the policy ….

    GST applies to goods imported by consumers into Australia.

    Orders up to AU $1,000
    From 1 July 2018, if you're buying an item located outside Australia and you select a delivery address in Australia, eBay will add GST to your total at checkout. The order value (item price + postage costs) goes directly to the seller as usual, and eBay remits the GST portion to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).


    My point about GST was on general imports not eBay, Pancho was not buying via eBay. 
    Post edited by David on
    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Yes, we were commenting on different things. I think it is crazy that ebay is required to charge GST on all international sales to Australia but other sites are not. 

    Re Sven's purchases, there are also anomalies with customs as well. If the item is shipped through Fedex, you have to use their clearance process and possibly pay additional charges. If you get it shipped through Australia Post you can clear it yourself and theoretically avoid some of the charges.
    John

  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Ummm...i think we are talking about panchos purchases not mine :) :)
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,181 admin
    John said:
    Yes, we were commenting on different things. I think it is crazy that ebay is required to charge GST on all international sales to Australia but other sites are not. 
    I think all major online sellers are required to charge GST, eg Amazon. eBay, Etsey - the target will be those who have business models here (like eBay and Amazon) but send profits overseas - and for that I am happy.

    Frankly it is better than the option of GST on all imports over $50 (instead of $1,000).
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    David said:
    John said:
    Yes, we were commenting on different things. I think it is crazy that ebay is required to charge GST on all international sales to Australia but other sites are not. 
    I think all major online sellers are required to charge GST, eg Amazon. eBay, Etsey - the target will be those who have business models here (like eBay and Amazon) but send profits overseas - and for that I am happy.

    Frankly it is better than the option of GST on all imports over $50 (instead of $1,000).
    Um, how does me paying the 10% GST target their profits????


  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,181 admin
    edited August 9
    Been away, where the internet was sloth like.

    Of course GST is not about targeting the profits, it is about the government (ergo us) missing out on income and the government also providing a level playing field for local business.

    Of course Mark is correct, is it fair that a poster that is not readily available here is getting pinged, probably not. But it would be impossible to draw the line or define what should or shouldn't be hit. The fact that the government made it an across the board tax as opposed to the ridiculous ways GST is applied locally (eg tampon tax) makes it easy to understand.

    As a small business owner I am all for GST and Duty and associated charges at the border, if it keeps the money going through the local tills rather than the overseas ones then yay.

    However, back to Pancho's import - duty and GST has been applied on imports over AUD$1,000 for donkey's and I am surprised he did not know this. The only 'legal' way round it is bring the goods in as a registered business and claim the GST back - albeit you are still up for the import fees and any applicable duty, and under scrutiny from the ATO you might have to prove a move poster is for your business.
    David
Sign In or Register to comment.

This Vintage Movie Poster Forum is powered by some old cinema posters, the flame retardant properties of a Top Gun Daybill, and a
British Quad which has been folded just the right amount of times and shoved under one of the corners to stop the place from wobbling.