Skip to content

My fave find!

This was one of a whole lot of 1933 posters I found when I was renovating my cottage in Australia 10 years ago. They had been used to cover the walls in a room, stuck to hessian, face down for 75 years. They came from the old "picture theatre" across the road, which we now own. None of them are in very good condition but I hope to have them restored, or at least properly protected, one day when we can afford to.
Notice the dress is blue, it was black in the US posters. I just love it....pure art deco!

Comments

• Wow!  Very nice.  What were some of the other posters you found if you don't mind me asking?
  • Beautiful.  I wish I found some posters in the walls of my house :)
  • Wonderful. I bought a house built in the 1930s and renovated it, and thought it would be only fitting if I found a cache of movie posters, but alas, no!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• A second copy of the Ex-Lady poster is shown  upside down under the top poster, A restoration perhaps?
  • Found these too.
  • edited August 2018
    OH MAN!  If you manage to salvage more than one...I'm your man, er woman!
  • And these....
  •  :o  :o:o  get the steamer out and have some fun! If not that, little Bestine! 

Fantastic!!!! Great find! If you need someone to back a couple I'd be more than happy! =)

• Oh my F***ing god!! Sky Devils is stunning!! 

I can see this thread being heavily lurked ;) 
  • You guys reckon this house was previously owned by a printer? A few of them appear to be uncut multiples on the same sheets (such as Sky Devils), If so I'd be stripping any rooms not already renovated! 

• Gawd, what a find. Ex Lady is stunning!!!
  • Excelent stuff. Keep the pics coming!!!
  • edited August 2018

All the films from the find so far appear to have been released in Australia circa 1933. From the last posted image from joyonthego and yet unpublished images yet to appear on this thread, I have worked out, in some cases from very little to work with that, that the above films that I have posted from the best images I could find, are also in the ''fave find''. 
  • edited August 2018

Waltzing Matilda newspaper  advertisement from the World premiere of this Australian film in Melbourne Victoria, on  December 2, 1933.

This poster is indeed a rare find so is it possible to let us see what poster sections remain of this historic film that you may have?.

• Rave Find?
  • Rave Find?

Fixed - thanks.
  • HONDO said:
    Rave Find?

Fixed - thanks.
    Just to be clear - I wasn't being flippant I thought perhaps this "find" was known about earlier and had actually acquired the name "Rave Find"!  ?
  • HONDO said:
    Rave Find?

Fixed - thanks.
    Just to be clear - I wasn't being flippant I thought perhaps this "find" was known about earlier and had actually acquired the name "Rave Find"!  ?
    No offence taken. One could rave about it though. Images only from the find, without details, have been available before today,

• HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    Rave Find?

Fixed - thanks.
    No offence taken. One could rave about it though. Images only from the find, without details, have been available before today,

Thanks Lawrence - I was starting to suspect as such 
  • They were probably my images from One Precious Year. I put a couple up a while ago on another site. 
    Don't know if it was a printmaker who put them on the walls. They were in the little front room and only that room. 
    There are quite a few of the Waltzing Matilda posters. I have a couple of the best ones framed but don't have a photo to put up here at the moment. Perhaps this will do for now!
    I'm reluctant to sell any of them considering they are from the theatre we now own, but if any of them were worth enough money to help us restore the building I would be keen to know.
    Any advice on restoration would be appreciated too. 
    I still have some of them stuck to the hessian so don't know what they are but am too worried about causing further damage to touch them.

• That should keep you all going for a while. Enjoy!!
  •  My second born for a Waltzing Matilda!  The Babic Australian Cinema archive needs one ?
  • Restoration is doable.   It depends what you wnt them to look like...seen worse brought back to life.  You have several bits which I'm sure can be put back into complete posters.

Value is hard as you'd have to sink a fair amount of coin into then...

If you don't mind, post some pictures of your theatre.   Would love to see it.
  • Who is the Babic Australian Cinema? Australian Film and Sound Archive?? I know they have a copy of the film which I would love to play next Anzac Day which would be 85 years since it screened at our theatre.
    This is the inside of our theatre after a previous renovation, which we are continuing.