Skip to content

FAKE MOVIE POSTERS

Hi

I'm a producer making a series about counterfeit and fake items. One of the subjects i'm keen to explore is vintage movie posters.

Has anyone bought, or knows someone that has unwittingly bought a fake poster?

Thanks in advance

Fake Britain

Comments

• The haggard saga with the universal horror fake movie posters would be the best one in recent years. Some of the other guys here will chime in im sure.
  • Is a buyer in the USA buying a fake poster in the USA of interest? Does there need to be a British connection?
  • There have been a massive number of fakes of mostly 1970s posters sold on eBay that were dubbed "minty whites". Amazingly, they are still being sold there to this day, in spite of every long time dealer testifying that they are fake. It is likely that at least a million dollars was involved overall, so this is surely "grand larceny".

You can real all about it here: https://www.emovieposter.com/club/settings.php (you have to join by registering, but it is free, and you can join and not receive any emails, and we never sell or trade your email in anyway). There are currently 8,600+ members.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• The haggard saga with the universal horror fake movie posters would be the best one in recent years. Some of the other guys here will chime in im sure.
    Great thanks Humphrey. I will look into that.
  • 50s said:
    Is a buyer in the USA buying a fake poster in the USA of interest? Does there need to be a British connection?
    Hi 50's. Thanks for your interest. Yes it does need to be a British buyer. 

• There have been a massive number of fakes of mostly 1970s posters sold on eBay that were dubbed "minty whites". Amazingly, they are still being sold there to this day, in spite of every long time dealer testifying that they are fake. It is likely that at least a million dollars was involved overall, so this is surely "grand larceny".

You can real all about it here: https://www.emovieposter.com/club/settings.php (you have to join by registering, but it is free, and you can join and not receive any emails, and we never sell or trade your email in anyway). There are currently 8,600+ members.

Thanks eMoviePoster. I will register on the site. 
  • I would think the Goldfinger Quad and I think that quad with the hand coming out of the ground are good candidates. Maybe Paul will chime in..
  • Welcome aboard! 

Glad to see you've integrated your AV and thread with Lovely Ladies Week. Fake boobs and fake posters.
    ;)
  • Welcome Fake Britain, There are quite a number of fake/copied British posters doing the rounds, from Bond to Zombie films. It's quite a complicated subject as I've even seen Commercial posters, being sold as originals, even by dealers. These aren't fake as such as they were put out by reputable companies as a copy of an original, but in later years people are passing them off as Originals. 

There are many posters being put out in the U.K, as "Copies", and I'm led to believe under licence, but it's only a matter of time, before these will be attempted to be sold as originals too, and these measure the exact same size as the originals, even down to having on the printers info of the Originals.

I don't think in the U.K. we have had anything like the Haggard saga, as we're slightly behind the U.S. for collectors who will pay out large sums, but I fear we're catching up fast. That said the Bay is a mine-field of deceit,especially for new collectors, or people just wanting a one off original for the wall. I have collectors emailing me regularly asking about certain posters, if they are genuine, if they are re-releases, what is a realistic price...  And these people have been at it a while.

As I say there is a lot to this subject to cover in a short reply, but some other interesting/misleading info for collectors is the selling of re-release posters as originals release. I see this quite a lot on the Bay.  The U.S. had a great numbering system to identify the year the film/poster is from, but the U.K. has nothing other than knowledge or guess-work, so people can be taken in very easily.

Hope this helps a little.   
  • Paul is our resident expert on UK stuff...'cause he is very old.

Very old

:-j
  • Yes, I love you guys too...
  • Shhhh, you'll drop your medicine

• Paul's going to be on the telly!
  • Guess his interview will have to be posted for all of us to mock.  ;)
  • Funny old world...
  • edited June 2014
    CSM said:
    Paul's going to be on the telly!
    I doubt that very much, I've never bought a fake unwittingly. Though I do have a couple somewhere, including the Portal repros, which I picked up because I couldn't afford the real thing.   
    I have caught a bit of that show, and they focus on people who have been ripped off. It's on in the day-time so I'm at work, but the bits I saw looked well researched. 

Not sure if it's the same program that did the fake Autographs, which was interesting, certainly opens your eyes to the amount of people who buy fakes without knowing...
  • Judging by David's nurse above I thought perhaps you had some experience with fake ta-tas :D
  • I do Chris, they look fantastic, but feel shite....
  • Fake Britain read this thread and hire a detective to expose them

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2404.msg142983.html#msg142983
  • Paul said:
    I do Chris, they look fantastic, but feel shite....

^:)^
  • edited June 2014
    Jedge said:
    Fake Britain read this thread and hire a detective to expose them

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2404.msg142983.html#msg142983
    That's a member's only thread, it's the secret society of movie poster collectors forum.

Try here http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/categories/the-real-mcoy (thanks to Bruce of emovieposter.com), thread is open to all.
  • CSM said:
    Paul said:
    I do Chris, they look fantastic, but feel shite....

^:)^
    Paul is the man...

• there is indeed a British connection to teh Haggard scandal

Tony Nourmand bought one of the Black Cat forgeries, maybe other items also
  • and I'm only now getting into this thread. It was my understanding that NO self promotion would take place on the main board and that we had appropriate places to do such things.
  • and I'm only now getting into this thread. It was my understanding that NO self promotion would take place on the main board and that we had appropriate places to do such things.
    Yeah Paul should really stop promoting his affinity towards fake ta-tas
  • I think it was borderline self promotion Rich. If I was to stand 5 meters back from my screen and look at this page, I'd clearly see a photo and be able to read some bold yellow writing. Just sayin..............  ;)
  • ty swami

• lol. 

For a second there, I thought you were going to call me a Tard. No wait....
    ;))
  • who says I don't?
  • So you think I'm unhinged, mentally unstable?