Skip to content

Questions for Bruce-EMP

Comments

• @Bruce-

Regarding NSS switch over from a flat finish to a glossy finish-did this apply to all posters made around the mid-60's? 

I searched your database ( flat + glossy ) and it returned 36 1Shts-the majority of them are Goldfinger (1964) and Last Summer (1969). Is there any rhyme or reason to the switch over that your aware of?

Thanks! 
  • After literally handling millions of posters, I feel pretty certain the changeover first started in 1964, but that it did take several years for almost all posters to become glossy.

When I am given a stack of one-sheets to sort (for single sale or bulk), I can immediately tell if they are 1950s and earlier, or 1970s or later, solely by the gloss factor. If they are from the 1960s, they can usually be pretty easily split into glossy and flat, and if you then checked the dates, you would find that you had simultaneously mostly split them into early 1960s and late 1960s.

As to WHY this was done, I found the answer by examining half-sheets. Those from the early 1960s and earlier have a ton of smudges and fingerprints around the edges,  while those from the late 1960s and later have virtually NO smudges and fingerprints around the edges.

I believe someone noticed this, demonstrated this to the printers, and convinced them that using the glossy paper would make each poster look far nicer over its life (as they were passed from theater to theater).

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks Bruce! Great info!
  • There is a shorter, gloss paper version of F13, but this one appears to be a trim job on top border:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5132263
  • edited July 2018
    Mark said:
    There is a shorter, gloss paper version of F13, but this one appears to be a trim job on top border:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5132263
    Definitely top trimmed Mark. Mine is 13 1/2" x 29 7/8".

• Mark said:
    There is a shorter, gloss paper version of F13, but this one appears to be a trim job on top border:

Definitely top trimmed Mark. Mine is 13 1/2" x 29 7/8".

We corrected the auction and emailed everyone who had bid or viewed it well before it ended (click on the link to confirm)

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Is that a Indian Jaws? One sheet or 3 sheet size?

• edited October 2018
    Nice poster, although the guy (or gal) who added the yellow best seller tag line needs some glasses! Centralise!! It's not that hard.
  • Indian 3-sheet. There should be a complete preview of Part I tomorrow.

• Eye candy!

• Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!

• Thanks Bruce!
  • Some great looking three sheets in there, from Body snatchers to Jaws, I'll certainly be adding this to my calendar!
  • The Mad Love looks to be a window card not a press book cover?
  • The Mad Love looks to be a window card not a press book cover?

It is odd. The fellow had a pressbook cover, and he hired Jaime to convert it into a window card by merging it with a real 1935 window card.

• Day the Earth Stood Still quad - yikes!
  • Bruce said:
    The Mad Love looks to be a window card not a press book cover?

It is odd. The fellow had a pressbook cover, and he hired Jaime to convert it into a window card by merging it with a real 1935 window card.

Well now I've heard everything!  ?
  • Hi Bruce,

I collect Mexican lobby cards on the side and was wondering if you were aware of a database similar to NSS numbers for Mexico? Several cards I have have numbers written on the back that would seem to suggest some sort of system.

Thanks!
  • Well FOR ONCE I did a smart thing.

An eBay seller sold 50+ Universal MPs discovered in the employee lunchroom and I snagged the ET for $250 and Battlestar for $95 and quick-flipped them to EMP for....

• Well FOR ONCE I did a smart thing.

An eBay seller sold 50+ Universal MPs discovered in the employee lunchroom and I snagged the ET for $250 and Battlestar for $95 and quick-flipped them to EMP for....

Where's the "question for Bruce"?

• He probably meant - damn how does Bruce make it so easy for me?
  • Charlie said:
    He probably meant - damn how does Bruce make it so easy for me?
    Not just him, but 2,257 others! =)

• Ha, I’m mostly an “applause junkie” but Charlie is on track.

It is a “mystery wrapped in a conundrum” why many MP collectors don’t buy from Fleabay and pay 50% more at EMP/HA, 10X more at Cinemasterpieces, 20X more at Sotheby’s etc.

Bruce has said many times that his customers rightly value perfect service, accurate pics/descriptions etc. which is why I have bought many MPs from EMP.

But I do first check eBay for better bargains from reputable sellers and the PayPal dispute resolution system works very well,

BTW Bruce why not encourage peeps to pay with cash/debit like your competitors do? Too much trouble? 
  • This is overshare but EMP auctioned $140K of my MPs and I always was paid by check instead of illogically paying PayPal’s 3% fee. I saved 3K.
  • BTW Bruce why not encourage peeps to pay with cash/debit like your competitors do? Too much trouble? 
    I did not know we don't take debit cards. I will look into that, but can you expand on what you mean by "encourage"? And when you say "pay with cash", do you mean literally sending currency through the mail? Thanks!

• The general vibe I get from forums or FB groups is that westerns are a dead duck, whether it's due to a generational divide/vast reduction in released titles since pre 1970's or the non PC content of the good guys (usually white) fighting the bad guys (usually Native American or Mexican).

However as it currently stands, the star of your December auction is the Tim McCoy 3 sheet with 5 days to go.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5278837

The stunning artwork is obviously a factor with this ones popularity (tempted
    myself), but I'd love to hear your take Bruce on the trend of this Genre and whether you indeed believe the American publics love of the Wild West (at least in the movies) is going once, going twice, gone...?
  • Notice the high bidder - Stillcrazy...  
  • As far as 1920s to 1940s westerns go, there is almost no one left alive who remembers them firsthand from the theaters, and the few that do are almost all not interested in buying anything.

So the big change I see is that one star is pretty much interchangeable with another, and that the posters seem to be much more priced on their visual appeal than on the appeal of the star, or of the movie itself.

Will that eventually spread to 1920s to 1940s NON-westerns? I have no crystal ball, so my guess is as good as yours.

But remember this is still a basically tiny hobby. Maybe 15,000 serious collectors, compared to hundreds of thousands or millions for any other hobby. So the market for any one item is based on how high a few individual collectors value it.

At one time in the early 1980s, the top collectors who spent the big bucks liked lobby cards over posters, and sometimes title cards were priced near the one-sheet for the same title! And they loved 1930s Warner Bros movies, so Bette Davis and Errol Flynn items were among the highest priced in the hobby.

Exactly why do posters from Three Stooges 1930s shorts sell for 10 or 100 times the posters from other 1930s B-comedy team shorts (like Clark and McCullough, or Wheeler and Woolsey)? Partly it is likely because their movies are better, but more importantly, there are some well-heeled collectors who will pay those huge prices.

• Thanks for the prompt response Bruce. I suppose for the collector who buys purely based on artistic merit rather than an affiliation with a certain title/actor/genre will always battle it out for something as nice as the "FIGHTING FOOL", so I suppose it was a bad example on my part. 
  • Thanks for the prompt response Bruce. I suppose for the collector who buys purely based on artistic merit rather than an affiliation with a certain title/actor/genre will always battle it out for something as nice as the "FIGHTING FOOL", so I suppose it was a bad example on my part. 
    Wil

It is quite possible the bidders on this poster have never seen "The Fighting Fool", and maybe barely know who Tim McCoy is! More and more posters ARE being bought solely (or almost solely) on their artistic merit.

Look at Polish and Czech posters. Sometimes they have only a fleeting connection with the movie they advertise, and the ones with the wildest art often go for the highest prices, again solely (or almost solely) on their artistic merit.

And there are many more examples!