Skip to content

New Members, Please Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• jeb33 said:
    So happy to be here! I live in Maine, U.S. I've been scouring bits of info on linen backing and restoration from wherever I can find it for too long now ?!!  I got into posters with WW1 and WW2 bond and propaganda stuff. Have backed a few things so far and now I'm investigating the world of bleaching.. thanks for having me ✌️
    Welcome @jeb33
    You should post some pictures of your backed items, would love to see them!
  • Jeb, somehow I missed your post (by a month! I'm a bit slow), but it's good to see you here. Post some pictures of your posters once you're up to speed. We'd love to see 'em!
  • edited December 2018
    G'day all. Nice to be aboard. I've been reading most of the forum over the last two weeks and am learning more and more - especially about paper and linen backing which has been of interest for years. I think I'd like to give it a shot, so although I'm new to forums and a bit challenged by it all, plus with advancing years, not being overly excited by new learning experiences - I guess I should just dive in! So I will probably have some questions before long.

My interest in movies was piqued when I got a job in 1957 as a pageboy, (dressed like a bellhop), at the Barkly Theatre in Footscray (Go 'Dogs!), in Melbourne's west, in the land of Oz. I was born and lived in the 'Scray for the first 28 years - and later on for a further 16. The Barkly, still standing, was in 1917, Australia's first purpose-built cinema in decorative, though restrained Picture Palace style. My job was to sell Screen News in the foyer to the picturegoers, assist with ushering - particularly at Saturday 'arvo matinees - and when the Movietone newsreel was finished and rewound each night, cycle down to the nearby Trocadero (a shops arcade now) and swap newsreels so that both theatres had a different newsreel after interval. I also got to see lots of movies for free, though often not fully due to school the next day. Believe it or not, having seen Giant, Rebel Without a Cause, Bernadine, A Farewell to Arms, 3.10 to Yuma (the original) - and hundreds of others, I never thought to grab a Screen News or lobby cards or a poster for myself! Just didn't cross the mind. Oh Lord - if only...!

I was always interested in the movies but found more interest as a young fellow in amateur dramatics and restoring my 1923 Rolls-Royce with my dad. Had the R-R for 15 years and wish I had another now. I think it's still in the car museum in Alice Springs. Then, about 30 years ago, I began to collect autographs, mostly around movie themes and for that time on and off, amassed lots of movie posters too, with the main interest on Aussie movies and paper. 
    I have a few nice pieces, lots of ordinary stuff and lots of junk to practice backing on! There are mostly daybills and one-sheets, a few 3-sheets and 6-sheets, a few Inserts, Half-Sheets, Lobbys, the odd French or Italian - and just one 24-Sheet... I even have a wall to put it on - but how?

I live in the bush in central Victoria these days surrounded by this stuff and I guess it's time to back, frame and maybe sell off some of it. We'll see. Sorry if I've burbled on too long.
    Rod
  • Welcome, Rod! Great story - thanks for posting it! At VMPF you’re in great company with many fans of Aussie paper, lots of info about conservation, and wonderful folks in general!
  • Welcome aboard!
  • Welcome, Rod!

Looking forward to seeing some of your paper and your beginnings of linenbacking! 
  • Welcome Rod! A 24 sheet, wow that's rare. Can't wait to see what else you have.
  • Welcome Rod!
  • That was a great intro Rod! Welcome mate!
  • @bewdynewk

Don't forget to chronicle your linenbacking/paperbacking:

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/categories/general-discussion

• Hi Guys N Gals. Thought I had better introduce myself.
    I am from the Antipodes and have just qualified to become a 'senior citizen'. While I am advanced in the number of years ( which I deny vehemently) I intend to grow up one day...........but just not yet :D

I still work 7days a week although 2-3 of those days are co-skippering a Charter boat ( which isnt really work cos I get to go fishing on those days). Other interests ( not in order of preference) are, all forms of hunting and firearms related matters, chasing women half my age in search of 'the perfect one', enforcement of wildlife regulations ( Wildlife Ranger), growing orchids for the export flower market...and restoring my Grand fathers house.
    The last one is the reason I have decided to join your merry band..............

My Grandfather  passed away in the mid 70's aged 86. From an early age he was fascinated by silent movies..........to the extent that he even built a silent movie theatre on the side of the homestead in the early 30's. The theatre is approx 9.5m x 5m ( for those who dont understand new fangled  metric systems thats approx 32' x 16')

He learnt how to make movies and, during the course of his travels representing the family business, he purchased silent movies to show family and friends in his theatre.

Along with the silent movies, he also acquired a number of movie posters..............but before I post up pics of them, I will post up pics of the theatre...........( I am sceptical of stuff I see on the interwebs as now days its easy to have have the wool pulled over your eyes and not everything is as it seems) to show you that I am not just another internet 'warrior' hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard)

The Theatre showing the projection box..note the holes for the projectors

The screen end of the theatre.......

The projection box and projectors........

I believe this is a home made projector my Grandfather 'cobbled up'....

And I guess I had better get to the good stuff before I run out of space........ :D

The movie referred to in the above page.....

Another one.........

Poster of the above movie

Excuse the crappy pics btw, they were taken with my cellphone and to get the posters in I had to stand on a table and hold the camera above my head.......

In each of the poster pics you will see on the left hand side a tape measure........each poster is approx 2.4m x1.8m  ( 7' 8" x 5' 9")

There are more for other movies dating back to the early 20's which I will post up later.

From my research, they were all printed by the stone lithography method and there are various 4 sheet and 6 sheet sets.

Gotta go get ready for a charter but will post more when I get time............which seems to be in short supply the older I get............. :s

Oh, and just throwing a line out, if you know of a perfect woman, please send me pics and details...............( just kidding) B)

• 6 sheets from the 20s.... I'm in!!!! Keep posting those beauties!!
  • Lady Audley's Secret is a cracker of a poster! 

Thanks for sharing those pics. Love that quaint theatre. Sorry you're working 7 days....sooo jealous.
  • Welcome! Thanks for posting some great pictures!
  • Indeed! Welcome Orchidman! Very nice home
    theater! And agree with the above, fantastic looking 6-sheet! 
  • Welcome!
  • Another couple of pics, apologies for the rotation.........I had to take this one from the side to get all of it in and used the Player piano to stand on.. Coffee mug in the background for scale.

As an aside, the homestead has 4 player piano's, all in working order...........an essential item for silent movies lol.
    Also have about 300 piano rolls  ranging from phantom of the opera through to jazz and honky tonk.

From the movie 'Torn Sails' (1920)

From the movie 'The Twelve Pound Look' (1920)

Hope I am not being out of line but I have no idea of the value of the posters and would appreciate some guidelines regarding value. The posters have been sitting folded up since my Grandfather died and my father ( who recently passed away)  hadnt done anything with regards to preserving or selling any of them.
    There are multiples of the ones I have posted and I will be looking at selling some of them to help fund the restoration work on the homestead and in particular the theatre and associated equipment...

• Great stuff!!
    Value of posters depends on a fair amount of factors (title, condition, desirability, etc). I'd suggest you check some of the prices realized for similar posters from that era on emovieposter.com
    Check also ebay and other venues and you can have an approximate idea.
    Given they are in great condition and titles from the 20s are scarce, I'd assume they worth a good amount, specially for collectors or institutions looking for stuff within that niche.
  • Hi,
    I'm new here and I was just wondering if theres a section where I can post links to my ebay auctions of more recent cinema posters? or is this site just about vintage posters?

Thanks in advance
  • We talk about all types of movie posters, old and new.

Here the section where you can post your links.

https://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/categories/for-sale-non-dealer-section

• Glad to be on board.  Thanks for the invite Matt.

I have been collecting Eastwood film memorabilia since 1975, mainly posters.  In the past five years, since I have all the Eastwood posters I can find, I have seriously started collecting Loby cards / FOH sets.  Still looking for a set of 11x14 cards for Where Eagles Dare.  I know you have a set Matt..........you dog.

I do however collect the odd, random poster along the way.  Most recent acquisitions are Grand Budapest Hotel UK Quads (both versions), Parkland UK Quad, Cinema Paradiso UK Quad (BFI Issue) and Stoker UK Quad.

Davy
    Hey I need help to post lol. Hi! I created a group but I don't think that the way to create a discussion lol
  • edited June 2019
    hi all
    i have about 30 Japanese movie posters, mostly B1 size near mint/ mint from what ive read. not real vintage 99 to 2003 . alot of chrashi? size also and 2 page inserts ?
    any ideas on researching value, not really a collector. i have a Kill Bill teaser B1 the bride, and i saw 250 us dollars on a us site for a B2 ??

Anyway just seeing if any ideas available
    thanks in advance Sam.
  • Hi Sam,

Welcome aboard.  I know the chirasi don't bring big bunks, but some BO, B1 and B2's are highly desired depending on the film and artwork.

You can start looking at emovieposter.com auction history for what you have (free to sign up, which you need to do to access the prices).  You can also consign to Bruce to sell your posters as you've said you are not a collector, if you would rather not go down the ebay route.  Else put up some lists and I am sure people will reach out.

You should have little problem shifting the popular titles like Kill Bill, it really depends on what you want to do.

THE collector/dealer in japanese material is ARMIN but he deals more in the older stuff with a focus on exploitation.
    Published this little treasure:

You can try reaching out to him.

Welcome again and all the best,

• Thanks for the welcome and  info 
    I'll check that site out and have a look at what I have. 
    If I had a big house I would keep them haha 
    See what happens 
    Thanks again ?
  • Hi everybody,
    I'm glad to join this forum. I've been reading in it a lot and now I'm looking forward to add my comments too. 

I'm from Czech Republic and I'm collector of Czech posters. I have thousands of them and I think of myself as a real Czech/Czechoslovakia posters expert:) Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions and I will be happy to help.

Anyway, lately I'm planning to expand my focus and start to collect US posters from my favorite directors. So here's my question... Where can I buy original 1sheets for new movies online? Are there any verified sellers outside of online auction websites (emovieposters etc)? I'm really not usre how this market with movie posters for new movies works and I will be very grateful for any insight...

Thank you all!
    Mate

• Hi Mate! I'm not a regular buyer of posters for new movies, but I know a lot of collectors buy directly their stuff from Dale Dilts, and all recommend him. His ebay store is:

https://www.ebay.com.sg/sch/ddilts399/m.html

• Welcome, Mate! Great to have you here!
  • I second the shout out for Dale...and welcome!.  Can't wait to see some Czech paper on the forum.
  • Oh yeah love Czech posters!
  • G'day mate and welcome aboard!