Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 223 That's Anton Diffring in the middle from Seven Thunders (1957) Born in Germany he fled Nazi Germany in 1939 but played many Nazi characters on screen.
  • Matt said:
    223 That's Anton Diffring in the middle from Seven Thunders (1957) Born in Germany he fled Nazi Germany in 1939 but played many Nazi characters on screen.
    Correct. The film was re-titled The Beast of Marseilles in the U.S.A. A fictional story featuring a true occurance that took placed in Marseilles in 1943. The climax of the film is revolved around the period leading up to thev demoltion of Old Port quarter and the actual demolition itself. 

(2005)

• # 221 is indeed Joyeux Noel ( Merry Christmas ) ( 2005 ). A treble of correct answers for Matt, so well done.
     225 226

Three more images to contemplate. Two of them have something in common. Shouldn't be too hard to find the answers for them.
  • 225 Fighting Rats of Tobruk
  • Matt said:
    225 Fighting Rats of Tobruk

Correct and the above scene from the 1950's U.S.A. first release lobby card of The Rats Of Tobruk ( 1944 ). 

Clues for the remaing two unsolved images are -

# 226 has a connection with # 225.

# 224 based on a World War 11 incident.
  • '224 Hangmen Also Die

• Matt said:
    '224 Hangmen Also Die

While extremely morbid, great poster!
  • Matt said:
    '224 Hangmen Also Die

Hangmen Also Die ( 1943 ) directed by the great Fritz Lang is indeed the correct answer received from Matt. Unfortunately it is a lesser known film of his that few prople know about.

Now regarding # 226, It is most likely not the type of war film one would consider may be the answer, but hopefully someone will chip in with an answer soon.

• To be honest, I typed in "hanged men" on EMP history page and got that image. Otherwise I had no clue.
  • Matt said:
    To be honest, I typed in "hanged men" on EMP history page and got that image. Otherwise I had no clue.
    Nothing wrong in using your initiative. 
  • 226.  Wackiest Ship in the Army 
  • 226.  Wackiest Ship in the Army 
    Correct Ves. The Wackiest Ship In The Army ( 1960 ) featured Australian actor Chips Rafferty in the cast. I'm wondering if my '' but hopefully someone will chip in with an answer soon'' clue worked then Ves?

• I thought that the tie in was something Australian, but your chip comment definitely got me over the line.

How about these then?

• No initial thoughts...these might be hard.
  • Ok a google search on 1940s films about nazi's/hitler gave me quite a list.
    After some further google searching on said titles, I give you probably my one and only contribution to this thread:

228.  Hitler's Madman
  • Ok a google search on 1940s films about nazi's/hitler gave me quite a list.
    After some further google searching on said titles, I give you probably my one and only contribution to this thread:

228.  Hitler's Madman
    Correct Ves. Made by poverty row studio PRC, but bought outright and released by MGM in 1943. Directed by Douglas Sirk who then went on to bigger and betters things.

Clue for 227 is Jamaica and 229 features a big cast.

•  Final clues. 227 is '' playing to a captive audience'' and 229 is '' John Paul Jones''.
  • 229 In Harms Way ( 1965 )
  • 227.  I know but I cheated so will leave for others.

• Matt said:
    229 In Harms Way ( 1965 )
    Good one Matt.
    227.  I know but I cheated so will leave for others.
    Ves was leaving it up to others, but seeing no one else appears to know the answer for 227, I will reveal that the answer is The Colditz Story ( 1955 ).

''The Colditz Story - three corney jokes - you tube'' will get you an extract clip featuring Ian Carmichael and Richard Wattis. You should  have a chuckle or two from viewing it. 

Two more to test you, although # 230 is not too old and someone most likely has seen this one, and will remember this scene. With # 231 don't let tge colour distract you.

• My guess. #230 =Dunkirk??

Dario.
  • Dario said:
    My guess. #230 =Dunkirk??

Dario.
    Nice to see you here on this thread Dario. Unfortunately it isn't the correct answer.

A clue is that a very different form of transport was used in the film, that has been long abandoned in modern warfare. 

Another clue for # 231 is the Pacific.

• Horses = passchendaele ??

Thanks Lawrence.

Cheers,
    dario.
  • Dario said:
    Horses = passchendaele ??

Thanks Lawrence.

Cheers,
    dario.
    Getting warmer Dario.

• Final clues.

# 230. Friendship.

# 231. The lead actor in real life died too young.

• Answer for # 230 is War Horse ( 2011 ) and for # 231 it is Air Force ( 1943 ).